Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT
      #63127 - 27/09/06 09:12 AM

Another season is here and I wont be doing much hunting because of work and family, so I thought I might start some controversy. I know from your posts most of you are pretty much set in your rifles and gear, (although most of us dont need much pushing to buy another...). Sooo, I thought what if you were going to Africa and it was, say the end of the 19th century, what would you be taking.

Im flexable on this, no specific date; but lets keep it interseting. Perhaps BPE's or early Nitro's, say something besides the modern standars. Im open to most any type of game including the Big 5, for any reasonable length of a trip. Assume your comfortably wealthy; but no royalty.

What would arms and gear would you take? Assuming limited oppertunities for resupply and also a limited camp staff, etc.

Just for fun.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #63152 - 27/09/06 11:41 PM

OK. Assuming this is pre-nitro express:

H&H SxS 8 bore rifle with 1000 rounds of ammo for elephant and buffalo.

Purdey .500 BPE with 1500 rounds of ammo. For lion and PG.

Enfield .303 with 1500 rounds of solids and 1500 rounds of softs. For elephant on down. And an extra .303 in case the first one breaks.

Greener SxS 12 gauge with 5000 rounds of ammo.

.22 rifle with 5000 rounds of ammo.

Colt revolver in 44-40 with 2000 rounds of ammo.

And some good steers and wagons to haul it arond.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: 500grains]
      #63186 - 29/09/06 12:55 AM

Gee, I cant find much to complain about with your selections. They cover just about everything in the fire arm department. But I will anyway, remember I said I was stirring up controyersy......I find Im not much of a shot gun user anymore so Im not sure I'D bring that much ammo for the shoty, but the 22 is interesting and I find I usually have one nearby. I love the idea of the 303. Im assuming you mean an Enfield, but Im confused about the second on in case it breaks.

If I havent upset anybody so far this might do it, why the Colt 44-40? With so much British influence in the region why not something in 455 like a Webbly?

Hope this is still all in fun

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
      #63326 - 02/10/06 08:16 AM

500grains is wise with his selections but I would make what I think are a few simplifications. I don't think one needs 1000 rounds of 8-bore or 5000 rounds of 12 guage etc.. All you really need is a good stock of lead and a mould (with a few tools) to make your own. It'd make life a lot easier. I also think it is wise from an economic standpoint. If you meet a fellow explorer in the bush, he may not need 8-bore or .303 rounds but really might need (and be willing to engage in a favorable trade for) powder or a pound or two of lead to make his own specific calibre of ammo. I'd also haul some BIG kegs of black powder (for the same reasons) and only a relatively minor stock of brass. That way you can just make ammo as needed and you cut your weight by 10,000 or so rounds of brass.

I'm also not sure why you need the .500 BPE for just a single species and maybe large plains game (eland?). I'd pack the 8-bore for lion, rhino, buffalo and elephant and then use the .303 on leopard and everything else. I'm also not sure one really needs a .22 in this scenario unless they are hunting game on the sly (poaching?) ...just use the big bore paradox gun to fill shotgun (bird), small game (.22) and big bore rifle (elephant) slots.

I do agree with 500grains' desire for spare rifles but would also add a spare 44-40 revolver and carbine. Finding parts in the bush is going to be impossible so you might as well bring along a spare. Just consider the first one of either of these that breaks to be a parts gun for the second. I would also order the 8 bore with a spare set of locks and Selous sideplates....again, just in case.

Anyway, my gear for the cartridge era...

1) Double 8-bore (a PARADOX gun thus eliminating the need for the 12 bore shotgun and .22).

2) Pair of Enfield .303s

3) Pair of Colt Revolvers in 44-40

4) Pair of WInchester Carbines or Colt Lightnings in 44-40

5) Some BIG kegs of black powder , a bunch of lead bricks, moulds for each round (conical and round ball for the 8-bore) , a bunch of big bags of shot...and of course hand tools to load for all three varieties of ammunition.

6) I figure three or four hundred pieces of brass/loaded ammo (MAXIMUM 400 for the rifles and MAYBE 700-800 pieces of .44-40) for each weapon should be sufficient for a very long time.

Best,

John

P.S. Dan, let me know when you have the oxen ready and we'll be on our way!

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #63347 - 02/10/06 02:12 PM

I think a lot has been offered but I would be a little different here.

An 8 Bore Rifle with 200 loaded rounds plus a bullet mold, lead and dies for reloading. Enough for an additional 2000 rounds.

A 303 Holland Sidelock and a 303 Martini w/ peep sight. 3000 rounds. 1000 solid 2000 soft. Dies, lead and powder for 2000 rounds.

12 bore Paradox 500 rounds bullets 1000 rounds shot.

Two Webley 455/1000 rounds of ammo. (Break Action)

5000 Gold Sovereigns and a letter of credit for 10,000 pounds.

A good looking and loose woman who can shoot.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: mickey]
      #63431 - 03/10/06 01:53 PM

Gentlemen, I thought this was to be a hunting safari, not a reloading safari.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #63438 - 03/10/06 03:19 PM

Didn't you ever read Karamojo Safari or From the Cape to Cairo? We may need to fight our way out.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: mickey]
      #63441 - 03/10/06 03:49 PM

In reply to:

Three heavy breech-loading double-eight elephant guns, weighing about fifteen pounds each, to carry a charge of eleven drachms of black powder." Two of these were by a well-known London firm, most excellent makers, but I do not know by whom mine, which is not so highly finished, was made. I have used it on several trips, and shot a good many elephants with it, and it has always proved a most superior weapon, thoroughly to be relied on.

"Three double-500 Expresses, constructed to stand a charge of six drachms," sweet weapons, and admirable for medium-sized game, such as eland or sable antelope, or for men, especially in an open country and with the semi-hollow bullet.

"One double No. 12 central-fire Keeper's shot-gun, full choke both barrels." This gun proved of the greatest service to us afterwards in shooting game for the pot.

"Three Winchester repeating rifles (not carbines), spare guns.

"Three single-action Colt's revolvers, with the heavier, or American pattern of cartridge."

This was our total armament, and doubtless the reader will observe that the weapons of each class were of the same make and calibre, so that the cartridges were interchangeable, a very important point. I make no apology for detailing it at length, as every experienced hunter will know how vital a proper supply of guns and ammunition is to the success of an expedition.

No idea! So I do what all arm-chair experts do and use someone elses (Ryder Haggard). And as it would be getting on a little in age perhaps it could be sourced from second hand shops. As I am poor I will make friends with Mickey and steal all his loot and leave him in cannibal country. Then I will make up lots of stories, write a book about making my fortune from ivory hunting and live with three mistresses at Lamu.

(oops I was dreaming)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: NitroX]
      #63445 - 03/10/06 06:33 PM

In reply to:

Gentlemen, I thought this was to be a hunting safari, not a reloading safari.

Oh it is...we just figured since success in the legal profession is so highly dependent upon attention to detail that you were JUST THE GUY to sit in camp and load .303 and .44-40 for us. It'd also be nice if dinner is ready when we get back in the evenings.

In reply to:

"Three Winchester repeating rifles (not carbines), spare guns. "Three single-action Colt's revolvers, with the heavier, or American pattern of cartridge."

This is a very intelligent combination. I'll add a pair (but I'd take the smaller and lighter carbines) to my gear above.

John

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #63454 - 03/10/06 08:36 PM

You guys are forgetting to mention some very vital items in setting up such an expedition: How much corn meal, lard, and other food goods you'll bring with you.

You won't get your porters to carry much for you for very long if they don't get fed with their staple diet of ugali!

Not to mention beeds and other trinkets to trade with the locals.

Erik

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: SELECT YOUR EQUIPMENT [Re: EricD]
      #63456 - 03/10/06 08:45 PM

I plan to raid the other parties mentioned here for such trinkets. My porters will be cannibals so the food will be solved by the same method.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com