Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010
      #56540 - 06/05/06 08:37 PM

Zimbabwe: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010

Zimbabwe Independent (Harare)
ANALYSIS
May 5, 2006
Dumisani Muleya

PRESIDENT Robert Mugabe's complex succession struggle took a dramatic twist this week with disclosures that he has given ministers orders to amend the constitution to move the presidential election to 2010 to secure a two-year extension to his hold on power.

Reliable official sources said Mugabe last month gave Justice minister Patrick Chinamasa, his point man on constitutional issues, and his Rural Housing counterpart Emmerson Mnangagwa, also Zanu PF's legal affairs secretary, a fresh mandate to change the constitution to delay the 2008 presidential poll until 2010 to allow him to hang onto office for a further two years.

"Mugabe has given Chinamasa the go-ahead to work on the plan with the assistance of Mnangagwa," a well-placed source said. "The two ministers are currently working on it. The idea now is for Mugabe to remain president until the next harmonised presidential and parliamentary elections in 2010."

An anonymous column in the government-controlled Herald, generally understood to be written by Mugabe's press secretary George Charamba, on Saturday suggested that Mugabe was not going anywhere in 2008. Its revelations confirmed information filtering through from other quarters.

Sources said Chinamasa and Mnangagwa were working on the plan which would see Mugabe in 2008 elected by both houses of parliament sitting as an electoral college -- as happened in 1987 when the executive presidency was introduced -- to continue until 2010 if his health permits.

Mugabe was first elected president in 1987 by both the lower and upper houses of parliament until 1990, after the amendment of the constitution. This followed the unity accord between Zanu PF and PF Zapu on December 22 1987 in the aftermath of civil strife in the south-western region of the country.

He was popularly elected president in 1990, the year the senate was abolished. Before that he had been prime minister from 1980 to 1987.

Mnangagwa yesterday referred queries on the issue to Chinamasa.

"Ask the Minister of Justice," he said. Chinamasa said he was not aware of the issue.

"I told you (two weeks ago) there is nothing like that. I still maintain that. Nothing has changed," he said. "I'm also not aware that the secretary for legal affairs (Mnangagwa) has been told to work on that."

Sources said the divisive succession plan -- initially meant to benefit Vice-President Joice Mujuru -- might fuel infighting in Zanu PF where two factions, which include Mujuru and Mnangagwa on rival sides, are locked in an increasingly bitter power struggle.

Mujuru was expected to become the Zanu PF leader when Mugabe steps down during the 2009 party congress. In 2010 she would then become the party candidate in the presidential poll, but things seem to have changed.

While Mugabe has hinted in the press he might retire in 2008 and Mujuru takes over, details obtained this week show Mugabe was in fact contemplating clinging onto power until 2010 when the presidential and parliamentary elections would be held simultaneously under a new system in which there would be only two terms of office for an elected president.

The move is understood to have sent shock waves through the Zanu PF camp led by retired army commander Solomon Mujuru who now fear Mugabe might scuttle their plan to shoe in Joice Mujuru as he did with Mnanagwa in 2004 in the run-up to the party congress.

It has now emerged that Mugabe initially wanted Mnangagwa to come in as vice-president under the Tsholotsho Declaration initiative but changed his mind later to back Mujuru when he felt threatened by the proposal.

Insiders say Mugabe is playing Machiavellian politics by deploying Chinamasa and Mnangagwa to handle the issue when he knows those associated with the Tsholotsho group might otherwise have opposed the move because of the perception it was meant for Mujuru's ascent.

Although Mnangagwa's faction is said to have received the news of the latest constitutional proposal with guarded optimism, some were beginning to entertain the idea that their leader might yet bounce back in the succession battle which, if Mugabe stays on until 2010, could once again become an open race.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200605050322.html

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: News]
      #56542 - 06/05/06 09:09 PM

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise but it still disgusts me anyway.

Anyone know anything of this Mujuru character?

It appears that there is no end in sight to the rape of Zim.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

ALF
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/03
Loc: Out of Africa
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: bulldog563]
      #56561 - 07/05/06 05:06 AM

From the barrel of a gun: The United States of America and the War against Zimbabwe, 1965 - 1980 By Gerald Horne
University of North Carolina Press
ISBN: 0-8078-2589-1 A very interesting read

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: ALF]
      #56575 - 07/05/06 12:52 PM

Also:

The Great Betrayal: The Memoirs of Ian Douglas Smith
by Ian Douglas Smith
Hardcover: 418 pages
Publisher: Blake Pub (June 1997)
Language: English
ISBN: 1857821769

The customer reviews/comments about this book on Amazon.com make for some interesting reading also. One example:

"Of course those western liberals who were so distressed about the political and social life of Rhodesia, under Smith, remain strangely mute over the real atrocities of Mugabe, preferring, like those who preceded the Good Samaritan, to pass by on the other side to another 'politically correct' crusade."

-Bob F.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: BFaucett]
      #56585 - 07/05/06 03:30 PM

It's just another smokescreen - ...... If he's alive in 2010, he'll just rig the election again.......mad bob won't go until he dies and anyone that thinks he will is mistaken.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: shakari]
      #56941 - 12/05/06 12:43 AM

SYPHILLUS will put an end to that raving lunatic if one of the boys dont collect the bounty first.
By the way what is his price....

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Mugabe to Cling On Until 2010 [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #56952 - 12/05/06 02:36 AM

Hope ole bob does not live much longer. I don't think their is any leader in the passed that disgraced his country like ole bob. May he pass away silently, soon.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1988

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com