Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ways to get to Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Ways to get to Africa
      #54789 - 14/04/06 12:10 PM

I'm sure that all of us have been called rich or something similar because we have gone or are seriously planning to hunt in Africa. Usually the person commenting is as well off or more so than I am but they cannot fathom spending $10k or so as discretionary funds.

Today I had a discussion with a worker who wants to take flying lessons but cannot afford the $100/hour that the plane costs. I pointed out to him that is he quit smoking, carton a week, and quit going to the tavern 2-3 times a week he could easily afford an hour a week in the plane.

Sometimes you have to decide what's important to you.

Any other ideas to save money without selling the dog?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Ways to get to Africa [Re: mickey]
      #54792 - 14/04/06 12:29 PM

In reply to:

Any other ideas to save money without selling the dog?

I could never bring myself to sell one of the dogs, but I did frequently threaten a sale-leaseback.

What am I doing? It apears I am giving up hunting South Texas for the elusive muy grande whitetails, selling my truck and trailer, and putting the money into going back to Africa. Taking my lunch to work, maybe selling some guns (if I can part with any), and sweet talking my wife into whatever contribution I can get.

Now if I could just fly over on some of the many American Airlines miles I have.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #54793 - 14/04/06 12:29 PM

Yes, make your own lunch instead of buying it each day.

Saves heaps of money - add up what you spend and multiply
it by 5 and then by 52 and see what you get.

500 Nitro

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #54798 - 14/04/06 01:06 PM

Knew a fellow saving up for a Elk hunt.

He didn't drive his car to work but car pooled(gas @2.50+/gallon,gave up dipping,made his own lunches,bicycled everywhere possible and had the money saved within a year.A buddy loaned him a 300 mag and YES he got an elk!!

He said he never regretted it.

The same can be said about Africa. I you want to bad enough you can do it.Set a goal and work to it.

Every hunter needs to go to Africa at least once.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Ways to get to Africa [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #54799 - 14/04/06 01:43 PM

Almost forgot -- turned over 126,000 miles on the truck but will give it at least one more year if I can.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

MRobinson
.275 member

Reged: 29/01/06
Loc: New England
Re: Ways to get to Africa [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #54804 - 14/04/06 01:55 PM

Charles, I believe you have ID'ed the biggest culprit, at least in the USA.

I have two cars and a truck (many kids) and all together, the three vehicles have well over 400,000 miles on them. But all are well maintained and in good shape. It's just that none of them is new, or anywhere near it. I save a small fortune that way.

And, BTW, I NEVER buy a new car or truck, as in NEVER and NOT NO WAY NOR NOHOW! Waste of my hard-earned Yankee dollars.

Still, I can drive down the street a few miles to the nearest apartment complex and see the lot full of very expensive, shiny new automobiles, most of which are owned by people who claim they can't afford to go on a modest vacation.

My $0.02.

Good topic, Mick.

--------------------
Mike

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Ways to get to Africa [Re: MRobinson]
      #54828 - 14/04/06 06:19 PM

Give Blood and Sperm.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #54833 - 14/04/06 08:47 PM

Another way to save money---

Use an American Air Advantage credit card to save the air fare to africa which can run $2000.00. They reciprocate with British air on their airmiles. British air will get you into Africa!!

If you use it to buy groceries and other essentials and pay it off completely every month the miles really add up.

P.S. Got over 150K miles on the Toyota now, gotta keep it going!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (14/04/06 08:50 PM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #54844 - 15/04/06 12:14 AM

Some ways to raise money for going to Africa (this is a partial re-run from threads gone by):

1. Sell your boat.

2. Sell your motorcycle.

3. Sell your 4 wheelers.

4. Sell your vacation condo/timeshare/cabin/empty land.

5. Sell your extra car. Even if it's not worth much it will save on insurance.

6. Sell all your guns except the 5 or 6 that are absolutely essential. For many of us this equates to thousands of dollars in cash. I went on a hunt for a full bag of plains game, one cape buffalo and 4 elephant by selling a bunch of guns that I was not going to use.

7. Get bit by a dog. A dog bite that draws blood usually nets a settlement of $2500. (just joking, but if you do get bitten, be sure to ask for the money)

8. Get a second job.

9. Sell all of your wife's trinkets on e-bay.

10. Quit going out to lunch and dinner. Eat at home and bring a lunch to work.

11. Quit going to sporting events.

12. Quit renting and buying videos and CDs.

13. Disconnect your satellite dish and spend time exercising instead.

14. Don't buy new clothes. No one will notice.

15. Ask if you can have your inheritance early.

markhyoung
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Cody, WY, USA
Re: Ways to get to Africa [Re: hoppdoc]
      #54846 - 15/04/06 12:27 AM

I think making any kind of an advanced plan is very difficult for many people. Also an awful lot of us are into immediate gratification and planning a safari 2-3 years out is just not immediate.

What I've told several people is if you wait unitl you have all the money for your safari in hand without it being earmarked for something else you will never go on safari. The best way to get there is to put down a small deposit even 3 years out and then make a plan to save the rest. Even some pretty major safaris can be booked with $1000-$5000 down. Once the initial deposit is down you are committed and it becomes easier to focus on saving some money. Now you have a specific goal and not some fuzzy dream.

And yes you have to put the new car, motor home, boats, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, motorcycles and maybe the double rifle and some of those spendy smaller adventures off but if that's what it takes..........

Also as suggested stop writing checks, using cash and 14 store credit cards. Get one major credit card with a mileage plan that works for you and use that sucker for literally everything. I fly to Africa Busines and First class and believe me there is no way in the world I could afford that if I had to pay for it.

Mark

--------------------
Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS INC.
WORLDWIDE BIG GAME, WINGSHOOTING AND PHOTO SAFARIS
www.safaritrackers.com
Office 1-307-587-6372
FAX 1-307-587-3385

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #55141 - 19/04/06 12:32 AM

This thread reminds me of all the guys I've known over the years who have really been career equipment collectors rather than hunters. They have a safe full of rifles and shotguns that they seldom use -- with more on the way -- but for hunting they sit around and wait for the state of Oregon to award them a mule deer and/or elk tag, and with the way the broken drawing system in our state works, that means they get to hunt about every-other-year. But in the meantime, they're trading rifles, punching paper at the range, buying more camp gear for do-it-yourself elk hunts, reloading stuff, clothes, new trucks, 4-wheelers, etc.

But approach them about spending the same money they do every year on equipment to do a basic African plainsgame safari, and they look at you like you're nuts, and then they declare that they "can't afford it". What they really can't afford to do is let so many years slip by with so little hunting in between, but they just don't know it. They can't afford all of the money they lose on gun trades and truck trades, either, but they're addicted to a habit, and they won't change for the most part.........

Here's what I suggest:

1) Get together a basic battery of high-quality, practical rifles that you'll really use, and be done with it. Leave the gun collecting to the pilgrims who don't know any better and the gun collectors. Build some real personal hunting history with your basic rifle battery. In the end, you'll prize those rifles far more than a safe full that don't get used, and you'll save a ton on money that you can apply to safaris.

2) Sell all of the current hunting gear you own that you haven't used in the last two years. I used to have a barn full of elk and mule deer camp gear that was largely redundant, plus horses, mules, tack, trailers, etc. I sold most of it, and I don't miss it. It was a burden and a money pit............

3) If taxidermy bills get in the way of your ability to conduct another safari, forget about taxidermy altogether. Great photos make great -- and in most ways, the best -- trophies. So develop your skills as a photographer, buy yourself a really good digital camera, and forget about a trophy room, if necessary.

One of my friends just spent a fortune on taxidermy for a major safari that he was on a couple of years ago. I asked him how he liked his trophies, now that he had them on the wall. His reply: "I wish I'd never invested in all of that work, and I feel like I wasted my money. What I spent on all that stuff I could have spent on another safari!"

AMEN to THAT!!!!!!!!!

I also think the record book race, and the "Levels of Achievement" race is a racket. Lots of guys spend money hunting stuff they're not really interested in, and all for the sake of that sacreligious "BOOK", and to keep ahead of the other contestants, I mean sheeple, excuse me........ I mean people!

Hunt what you're interested in hunting, and hunt where you really and truly want to hunt, as you can afford to do so. Leave the book race to those buffoons who won't be able to take it all with them in the end anyway..................

AD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2882

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com