Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "CHEAP" Buff Hunts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
"CHEAP" Buff Hunts
      #52112 - 11/03/06 11:16 AM

I always see the ads for the "cheap" buff hunts---

Any questions to ask the operator/PH's to avoid getting shafted with add ons and get a quality hunt?

Approximately how much should a quality buff hunt $$cost and how much time should be dedicated to a buff hunt once an outfit/PH is determined?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: "CHEAP" Buff Hunts [Re: hoppdoc]
      #52132 - 11/03/06 03:58 PM

Always ascertain exactly where the hunt takes place, for example, if it's in Zimbabwe make absolutely sure if it's on land that hasn't been "re-distributed" and that the owners aren't on the banned list with the US Govt...... The penalties for breach of the Lacey act are severe. If the hunt takes place in Tanzania for example, make absolutely sure where. Many people offer hunts in areas they charmingly describe as nestling against or adjacent to the Selous etc...... What that means, is it's in the buffer zone, and buffer zones tend to hold a far lower game population than the Selous itself. Of course, one must understand that even areas such as Selous isn't a guarantee of having lots of game around. It's an immense area and the game is free to roam and most herds etc tend to follow the rains and grazing......

There's lots of African countries that offer good Buff hunting and I've only mentioned two of them - but I'm sure you get the idea.....

Make sure you get a comprehensive safari contract detailing all costs and what is and isn't included in your package price.

If you allow a minimum of 7 days hunting for a Buff hunt you should be about right...... but the more days you hunt, the more fun it is and the more chance of success you have.

Most countries allow 1 Buff per hunter/package but FWIW, a 7 day licence in Tanzania allows 2 Buff & some plains game per seven day licence.

Many people will suggest you ask for references - but they're really a waste of time. No-one is going to put you in touch with a dissatisfied customer. - It's probably better to check to see how long the safari company has been in business. If they're well established then they must be doing things pretty well. It's always a good idea to ask for pictures with the PH you'll be hunting with actually in those pictures.

One of the most important things to remember is that hunting is like most things in life and that quality comes at a price and that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

markhyoung
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Cody, WY, USA
      #52363 - 14/03/06 06:29 AM

hoppdoc

I think the operative word in your post is "Cheap". If the hunt is really cheap there probably is a reason for that. The area may not be the best for various reasons, the camps are shoody with ill trained crews, PH's may not be experienced in the area or with the game etc. Often times spending a little more money will get you a total experience that is a quantum leap above the bargain basement hunt. "Cheap" does not equal good value for the dollar and that is what you must seek in booking a safari.

A question you might want to ask on these inexpensive hunts might be "Who actually holds the lease on the concession" If there is a problem who do you take it up with? I think for obvious reasons a company that owns, hunts and doesn't share its quota with subcontractors is probably a more solid bet for your safari.

Regards,

Mark

--------------------
Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS INC.
WORLDWIDE BIG GAME, WINGSHOOTING AND PHOTO SAFARIS
www.safaritrackers.com
Office 1-307-587-6372
FAX 1-307-587-3385

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #52429 - 14/03/06 10:54 PM

I think you would be better off just saving a little longer and going with a reputable/long standing outfitter in a proven area at the right time of year. A lot of the "cheap" hunts I have seen are lacking in one or more of these aspects. Another way to get a bargain hunt is to wait for a late cancellation with a reputable outfiter.

I would be very wary before booking with a no name outfitter, just not worth the risk to me. You end up having so much invested in a hunt, both financially and otherwise, that it just doesn't make sense to make a decision primarily on price.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: "CHEAP" Buff Hunts [Re: shakari]
      #52431 - 14/03/06 11:22 PM

Should one contact quality safari oufits for cancelations of previously scheduled safaris to obtain hunts at better prices? I assume one has taken a safari with them previously to assure hunter satisfaction.

Many outfitters offer to cut the daily rate since they already have the overhead costs of camp and help fixed in country and a clients deposit. If your schedule is flexable other hunters have told me of impressive savings .

Any Hunter/PH's thoughts on this?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #52485 - 15/03/06 06:02 PM

I suggest that you narrow down who you are prepared to hunt with,. contact them, and tell them to contact you when something end of season comes up. Just remember, that end of season hunts tend to be during the hotter months, and that most game are little more skittish, especially in smaller concessions. The upside is that you will get a hunt for roughly 20% less than normal, and that the bush is fairly open late in the season, so you will get more shooting oppertunity than early in the season.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com