Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunter qualifications for Safari success

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Hunter qualifications for Safari success
      #51706 - 07/03/06 02:13 PM

The best safari would seem to occur when both hunter & PH understand each others expectations on a DG hunt.

It is great to have a super PH but what does the PH need to know about the Hunter and in what order??

How much $$$ to spend and priority and desired number of animals to harvest? Options for hunting less preferred animals if desired game not available.

Hunter shooting ability?? What biggest gun does hunter like to shoot and how well can he shoot it? How about Specific GUN Drills to complete and report back to the PH. How fast and how accurate can he shoot? What gun/guns will he bring?

Hunter physical limitations, physical condition, and medical conditions-diseases, age, required accessories(eyeglasses,meds,drug habituations ie alcohol,smokes etc)How long does the Hunter take to briskly walk 2 miles? Specific goals to achieve? Any chronic diseases etc? Language barrier?

Hunter's prior game experience. Most dangerous hunting situation faced previously.Level of danger tolerated? Maybe DG is out of the question, feared as too risky. Most feared wild game phobia- snakes,insects,type of DG,claustrphobia in thick vegetation, poor visibility,etc,etc

We can go on and on.Any other info that the PH would need to know about his client for a great Safari? Anyone with suggestions on how to get the best PH fit with his hunter please chime in!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Hunter qualifications for Safari success [Re: hoppdoc]
      #51738 - 08/03/06 02:15 AM

I think it is very important that the client makes the PH understand what his expectations are, and I believe it is the PH's responsibility to convey to his client up front if those expectations are realistic. If these two individuals are not on the same page the trip is doomed.

--------------------

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #51739 - 08/03/06 02:24 AM

I don't think that the PH necessarily needs to know anything about the client in advance, other than information about age, gender, and general health. The PH will find out everything else that he needs to know about the client in the bush!

The client needs to be in good physical condition, at least as good as he can be in. He needs to get a handle on any substance abuse problems he might have well before the safari. If he wants to stay perpetually drunk around the fire every night, he shouldn't go. If the client wants to just bounce around in the rig everyday, have the PH and trackers spot all of the game for him and he only plans to truly participate in the program when someone presses his button and tells him to when shoot, he shouldn't go.

The client should also do his homework, learn about the animals, the people, and the country in advance, put in plenty of practice time at the range, put in some practice time behind the camera, read books on Africana, etc., etc.

The client should buy the best possible rifles that he can possibly afford that are chambered for standard factory cartridges -- he should invest in the best possible ammunition as well -- then thoroughly test and put in PLENTY of practice time with same. Leave the tight-chambered beanfield rifles with 6.5-20x 50 mm scopes and ANYTHING that doesn't feed properly -- as in 100% perfect all the time -- as well as all wildcats -- at home.

As a practical matter, for an expensive safari on the other side of the world, the client shouldn't step over a dollar to pick up a dime and cut corners on any of his clothing, guns and ammunition, evacuation/health/gun insurance, optical/photographic equipment, or medications. The client doesn't need a lot of equipment for a safari, but what he does need have should all be the best that he can possibly afford.

Also, no matter how long a safari the client is booked for, he should take as much trophy fee money as he possibly can. Airfare costs the same no matter how many days the safari is, and those safari days cost the same no matter what. So the client should take as many animals as he possibly can while he's there and make the utmost use of his time. No one is ever quite, 100 % sure of if or when he'll be able to go back, so any African hunter should shoot as much game of trophy quality as he can NOW.

Strike while the iron's hot!

AD

8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
Re: Hunter qualifications for Safari success [Re: allenday]
      #51748 - 08/03/06 05:17 AM

Allan, that is spot on, especially the part about taking extra money and shoot what you can. I passed up some very good animals for the sake of money, what a dope.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Hunter qualifications for Safari success [Re: allenday]
      #51793 - 08/03/06 02:36 PM

What problems generally limit the clients success on the safari?

Is it the physical condition of the client or the client/rifle effectiveness--too much gun, poor accuracy etc.which cause most failures on game harvesting?

I would certainly agree that the rifles used be reliable and well practiced.I suggest that prepation with weeks of personal practice and "rifle olympics" with jogging,carrying,and shooting that rifle at the hunting club may be of great benefit and fun prior to the safari.

Your wife will think you looney but it is an fun excuse to get out and shoot/use that hunting hardware.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #51868 - 09/03/06 02:19 PM

Just wanted to pass on the thought that weeks of training aren't going to be enough for most guys. More like months, unless you're alot fitter than most to begin with. Even then, a daily jog or squash game or workout...doesn't equal the possible hours and hours of walking. It seems especially so if you have elephant on the agenda. Getting really fit over more time also means less chance of hurting yourself during training, or trying to push too hard too fast and coming apart. This happens to me if I'm overly enthusiastic and try to jump start the training.

I think physical fitness is the big limiting factor for clients. At least that is what I was told by several PHs in Zim.

Also it seems that too many guys are benchrest bound in their shooting practice. Its fun to shoot small groups off a bench and a bit frustrating to see them open up in feild positions. But practicle feild accuracy can't be learned from a bench.

JPK

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Hunter qualifications for Safari success [Re: JPK]
      #51888 - 09/03/06 06:20 PM

Well said.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1694

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com