Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope problems in Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: larcher]
      #51382 - 04/03/06 06:49 AM

JB,

I've heard quite a lot about troubles with the Conquest series. Unlike the more expensive Victory series. I've had several of both the older Z and ZM, in addition to the newer V and VM. I've had no trouble with any of them.

In fact, I was told by the lady in charge of Zeiss scopes here in Norway that she refused to import the Conquest series to Norway for the first few years. She didn't feel they were good enough. I have understood that they have improved, but just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I'm thinking about getting a Schmidt&Bender "Zenith" 1.1-4x24 with a Flashdot reticle. Have you tried them?

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: EricD]
      #51398 - 04/03/06 08:33 AM

Erik, I checked with my friend who had the trouble with his Zeiss scopes, and it was the Conquest series that broke.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #51422 - 04/03/06 11:47 AM

Eric,
I have used the Schmidt&Benders for a few years now with great results, but would recomend the "MAG EYE RELIEF" modle.
Also the photo of the water hole with green grass beside it on your Ele hunt story was at the spot not far from where I got my lion. We had lunch there. Brings back memories.
Cheers,
Adam C.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: ozhunter]
      #51449 - 04/03/06 05:01 PM

Hi Adam,

I had the "mag eye relief" version in mind. I believe it is 3.7 inches?

That waterhole was indeed a nice place. As was all of Chewore North!

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #51453 - 04/03/06 06:37 PM

ErikD,
We had a swim in the pool just on the bend but would you believe just down streem in a waterhole with a under water cave lives a twelve foot Crocodile.
I just bought the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC film "WALKING WITH LIONS". Have only watched the begining so far but it looks great.
Filmed in Manna Pools NP. It will bring back memories.
Although I did not get to this park I have been on both sides of it. The scenery and mock charges bring back memories for me.
Cheers,
Adam C.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: hoppdoc]
      #51462 - 04/03/06 10:16 PM

In reply to:

Still my 9 pound 416 killed the 1.75x6.

Don't spose that was an early stumpy model 1.75-6 by any chance?
I'm wanting one of those for one of my little doubles.
Have you still got it?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: 4seventy]
      #51489 - 05/03/06 08:20 AM

Sorry,

Leupold fixed the 1.75x6 and it now sits on a 45-70 lever action.

Thank goodness Leupold stands behind their product!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: hoppdoc]
      #51563 - 05/03/06 08:05 PM

Hoppdoc,
No worries, I'll keep on searchin'.

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: allenday]
      #51570 - 05/03/06 10:26 PM

Since more than 20 years I'm living and hunting in South Africa and I only use Zeiss Diavari telescopes. Rifles: .30-06 - 9,3 X 62 - .375. There was never ever a single problem as far as the telescopes are concerned.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #51765 - 08/03/06 07:30 AM

"I'm thinking about getting a Schmidt&Bender "Zenith" 1.1-4x24 with a Flashdot reticle. Have you tried them?"

Erik

I am no fan of Schmidt & B. Don't know why? Lack of advertising, lack of discount at the gunshop?
I think it lacks sex appeal. A weird answer isn't it? but it's what I think of.
I am most pleased with my S & B 1.25-4*20 whithout flashdot on my 300 Weatherby (along with a 1.5-6*42 conquest Zeiss, EAW mounts permit 2 or more scopes for a rifle). Both sturdy stuff......................... especially the eye piece.
These Schmidt & B are workhorses , good workers but nothing spicy or rejoicing.
Concerning glass quality, as I have told many times, I trust Swaro and my hunting partner/friend/optician is fully agreeing.
He told me LEICA is yet making Schmidt & B lenses, hence their (superior?) quality.

I repeat myself, the only scope failure I observed was with a cheap Bushnell. Yeah...but at this time my sister was working for Baush & Lomb.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: larcher]
      #51905 - 10/03/06 02:17 AM

I bought my first Leupold back in '70s when I was a teenager, and it was a used (but mint) fixed 4x that I found at a gunshow at a very favorable price. I bought it replace a 3-9x Bushnell my 30-06 carried that fogged up on me during a blacktail deer hunt on Oregon's coast range. That same Leupold M8-4x is still on that same Remington 700 ADL 30-06 to this day. No problems after thirty years of use. I haven't touched it since the day I installed it!

Contrast that to a Schmidt & Bender fixed 4x I installed on a 338 a number of years ago. The eye relief of that S&B simply sucked compared to a Leupold 4x, it was no brighter optically, and the internal ajustment system went gunnybags within 20 rounds! And it cost a fortune compared to a Leupold 4x. I was NOT impressed..........

In the years since, I've likely owned around 150 Leupold scopes, and out of that number, I've had exactly 2 that gave any trouble whatsoever. This occured a few years ago, when a pair of new Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8Xs demonstrated some serious internal adjustment problems. To resolve the problem, I sent both scopes to Premier Reticles for a reticle change, and to repair the internal mechanism. When they came back, those scope were as precise and reliable as you could ever ask any scopes to be. I have them on a matched pair of 338s, and they work flawlessly.

Now, I'll take a failure rate of 2 out of 150 any day of the week. In the real world, those are good odds when it comes to scopes.

My good friend, world-famous custom riflemaker D'Arcy Echols, has told me many times that there simply isn't a fool-proof scope brand. He's had problems with EVERY premium scope make in terms in internal adjustments coming undone, focusing problems, etc, etc, etc, etc. One of my friends had Echols build a 300 Winchester, and the new German Zeiss 'C' series scope he provided for that rifle came undone within 40 rounds. It went back to Zeiss for repair and after a number of months, it came back A-OK.

For me, Leupold has been the top scope by far. I've used them on some extremely rugged hunts from B.C. to Mexico, and from Alaska to Tanzania. I have NEVER had a problem with fogging, and in terms of eye-relief they have simply buried just about everything else, plus they're compactly-built, rugged, and precise. Leupold's plant is a 40 minute drive from my house, and trust me on this, it's state-of-the-art, and it's staffed by real riflemen and hunters, many of whom shoot at my gun club. Jim Carmichel has previously stated that Leupold is the "beans and cornbread of the shooting man's diet", and that is a very accurate assessment of Leupold's position in the industry.

AD

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: allenday]
      #51979 - 10/03/06 10:09 AM

Allen, I would be interested to hear your opinion on the LPS scopes.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7581

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com