Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunter pulled from the jaws of a crocodile

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Hunter pulled from the jaws of a crocodile
      #49675 - 10/02/06 03:18 PM

From The Mail & Guardian (SA), 6 February

Zim villagers pull hunter from jaws of crocodile

Harare - A human chain of villagers pulled a hunter from the jaws of a man-eating crocodile in north-eastern Zimbabwe, state media reported on Monday. Letikuku Sidumbu (32) was attacked by the crocodile while trying to cross the swollen Mubvinzi River in Goromonzi district, about 40km east of Harare, during an early-morning hunting expedition with his uncle. As the crocodile clenched it jaws on his right arm, a human chain of villagers tugged him from its grip in a struggle that also left him with a broken leg and chest and stomach injuries, Sidumbu told the state Herald newspaper from his hospital bed in Harare. Crocodiles are the most dangerous animal to humans in Zimbabwe. In recorded cases last year, they dragged away and ate 13 people, including children, according to the Communal Areas Management Programme, a conservation group. "I called out to my uncle to hit the crocodile with an axe," the Herald quoted Sidumbu saying. But, he said, commotion by the two men's hunting dogs enraged the crocodile. He heard the voices of fellow villagers arriving from nearby Chitana Mafengu to help. Before rescuers dragged him free, "one thing was clear, that they wanted to salvage at least a piece of my flesh for burial should the crocodile get the better of them", Sidumbu said. The Communal Areas conservation group, in its annual report for 2005, said wild animals killed at least 27 people last year in cases reported across Zimbabwe, but scores of other attacks in remote areas would not have been recorded. Elephants, hippopotamuses and buffaloes accounted for most other attacks. The Herald did not say when the hunter was attacked. Sidumbu said he knew the river was crocodile infested, but "I had safely crossed it many times before, especially at dawn".

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Hunter pulled from the jaws of a crocodile [Re: News]
      #49761 - 12/02/06 01:30 AM

I wonder how many people are taken by crocs and just end up as "missing" rather than as part of the official death toll?

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Hunter pulled from the jaws of a crocodile [Re: 500grains]
      #49763 - 12/02/06 01:53 AM

I read something about that a couple of years ago, and if memory serves me right, it's believed that the actual number is more than double what is officially reported. That report also went on to say that more people are killed by hippos than by crocs.I don't know if that's the truth, or just a crock.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hunter pulled from the jaws of a crocodile [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #49887 - 14/02/06 04:07 AM

In reply to:

"I had safely crossed it many times before, especially at dawn"

I was going to say, "What a silly fellow." Then remembered in my youth I did the same silly thing more than a few times.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 427 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1520

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com