Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe
      #49674 - 10/02/06 03:13 PM

From The Daily Telegraph (UK), 9 February

Mugabe to ask whites back in land grab U-turn

Harare - President Robert Mugabe has begun to reverse his "insane" land grab and offer some white farmers the chance to lease back their holdings in Zimbabwe.

With the fastest shrinking economy in the world, Mr Mugabe has had to backtrack on six years of chaos and his own determination to rid the country of all white farmers. In an orgy of violence, Mr Mugabe seized the land, homes, equipment and infrastructure of about 4,000 white commercial farmers who produced almost half of Zimbabwe's foreign currency. The U-turn is expected to be announced within days. The ruling Zanu PF party's politburo has been informed and selected journalists in the state-controlled media have been briefed on how to spin the policy reversal. About 250 whites remaining on small portions of their farms will immediately be offered state leases for the land they used to own. Some will be hoping that their full land holdings will be restored at a later stage. The leases will, farmers hope, give them some legal protection from local warlords continuously trying to evict them or seize their equipment or crops. In a second stage, the leases will be extended to some white farmers who have already been evicted, particularly where there is no activity on that land. Some fled to Britain, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa and are desperately homesick.

The government is expected to admit in the next few days that it has only used about 50 per cent of the land it seized. In reality, land economists say the figure of idle land is nearer 80 to 90 per cent. The new policy is understood to have been approved by Mr Mugabe but it is unlikely he will announce it, as the government hopes to play down the U-turn. It will be executed by two of his most trusted lieutenants: the lands minister Didymus Mutasa and the agriculture minister Joseph Made. Neither was available for comment yesterday. In anticipation of this change of policy, the Commercial Farmers Union has advised some members to apply for leases, and some farmers have already filled in lease applications at the agriculture ministry. The union yesterday issued a rare statement calling for a ''moratorium on land and agricultural policies''. All those involved in agriculture should get together and "rebuild the entire industry to return as the principal employer of labour and generator of food and foreign exchange", it said. "We have the energy and capacity to help bring Zimbabwe back once again to be the bread basket of the sub-continent." The statement was signed by the CFU president, Doug Taylor-Freeme, who would not comment on the change of policy. "We need to create some stability on the ground for existing farmers if we want any investment in agriculture. That's the first step. All land has been acquired by the state for one reason or another but the issue now is who uses that land? We believe it should be farmers. When you look at the state of agriculture and the state of the economy we need to find the right balance."

Behind closed doors last week, the International Monetary Fund told Zimbabwe's finance minister Herbert Murerwa - who has helped himself to a white-owned farm - that land seizures should halt immediately and that without increased agricultural production there was no chance of halting Zimbabwe's slide. While this is a reversal of Zanu PF's policy to rid Zimbabwe of all white farmers, some of those who lost their holdings are cynical about any offers from the government. Many will need convincing that the offer is genuine unless it is openly endorsed by Mr Mugabe and, even then, they may still be sceptical about a president who has broken promises in the past. "The government vastly underestimates the damage of its insane policies," said one of Zimbabwe's former top cereal producers. "They probably believe that allowing some of us to return will turn the economy around in a single season. We won't be able to do anything without international finance, and we won't get that until there is political reform," he said. "It's bloody miserable out there. All our friends have gone, our equipment has been broken, irrigation has been vandalised, our homes have been wrecked, the roads are a mess, our workers have gone so why should we return? I am sure there will be some clots who are so damn miserable in other countries or living in towns that they will go back. We should be campaigning for compensation, not going back to help people who wrecked our country."

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe [Re: News]
      #49677 - 10/02/06 03:20 PM

In reply to:

... some of those who lost their holdings are cynical about any offers from the government...

That has to be a major understatement!

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #49683 - 10/02/06 03:42 PM

I think it would be easier and more confidence building to return various parcels of land back to the actual and current real title holders ie freehold.

I wonder how long the leases would be for, and if any compensation is being offered for destroyed improvements and loss of stock.

Fat chance!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #49691 - 10/02/06 04:17 PM

Can anybody trust Mugabe. It could be expected from him to come up with something like this, now that everything is falling apart. They just don't have the know how to run farms.

What a joke it is to lease back a farm that legally belonged to you. How must the farmers start all over, where is the money goiing to come from to rebuild the farms. The farmers had all the equipment and it was raided from them, now they must spend their own money or borrow it to rebuild what they had. I think it is a bloody cheek.

The farms should be returned as freehold and the farmers should get compensation for their losses, not only for equipment, but also for repairs they must make and for the loss of income over the last couple of years.

Mugabe wants his bread buttered on both sides, he is a bloody wanker.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #49713 - 11/02/06 12:29 AM

I would be inclined to tell mudguts Mugabe to bash it up his arse.
I made the comment once before that when they are on the bones of their arse they will be asking for hand outs and help.
Its started already.
Put a bounty on Mudguts and work your way down.
The rest will self exterminate of starvation and AIDS.
There are to many good RHODESIANS that have suffered at the hands of these subhumans living around me to have any sympathy for them subhuman black animals!!!!!!

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe [Re: SAHUNT]
      #49714 - 11/02/06 12:30 AM

This is absolutely ridiculous. Mugabe is going down in flames and he is trying to find a way out. What a jerk. He should be thrown into a pen with a hungry Leopard. Pay-Per-View anyone? It makes me sick to think of what he has done to a beautiful country like Zim.

One things for sure...It will get worse before it gets better. I hope Zim can recover after the thorough ravaging she has endured by Bob and his cronies.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #49721 - 11/02/06 01:49 AM

Allan

You said it

VERY WELL

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe *DELETED* [Re: SAHUNT]
      #49726 - 11/02/06 03:05 AM

Post deleted by BFaucett

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Whites farmers asked to return to Zimbabwe [Re: BFaucett]
      #49727 - 11/02/06 03:12 AM

And this news item from just a few days before the story above:

From The Daily Telegraph (UK), 2 February

Mugabe moves against city whites
By Peta Thornycroft in Harare
(Filed: 02/02/2006)

President Robert Mugabe has begun confiscating and vandalising white-owned property in Zimbabwe's cities, after taking over most farms in the countryside.

His police last week evicted hundreds of people from their homes eight miles from the centre of Harare.

Ian Ross, 68, the owner of Gletwyn farm, incorporated into the capital in 1996, could hardly control himself as he recalled how police turfed his workers out into the rain.

"They arrived to evict the workers, which they did piece by piece, village by village compound by compound," said Mr Ross.

"The workers were dumped. They moved into sheds, into chicken runs. They were living like rabbits."

Mr Mugabe began violently evicting and dispossessing some 4,000 white farmers and hundreds of thousands of their workers in 2000. The whites were punished because the president said they supported and funded the opposition which almost beat him in the election that year.

But the campaign against his people escalated last winter when he sent bulldozers to flatten hundreds of thousands of small homes and markets in opposition areas in cities.

The United Nations said 2.4 million people were caught in Mr Mugabe's "Clean out the Filth" campaign. Now his cronies and the police are wreaking havoc on a daily basis on Gletwyn.

The police say homes will be built homes there. This will benefit a property company, Divine Homes, whose chairman is the deputy finance minister, David Chapfika.

Divine Homes says it is selling state land, Gletwyn, in 600 plots without title deeds or planning permission. The "problem over title deeds will sort itself out when all this settles down", said Washington Jengaenga, a Divine Homes executive.

John Worsley-Worswick, of Justice for Agriculture, said the takeovers were inevitable.

"This is the first full wholesale attack on a huge tract of land within the city limits," he said. "This is not anarchy by default. It has been well designed. No property is safe. They have nearly finished off the farms so they have to move to towns and cities."

Mr Ross was so disturbed by the latest attack on his workers that this week he won a court injunction restraining police. They were ordered to leave the workers alone and dismantle their barricades. But they were still in place three days later.

Divine Homes' earth-moving equipment now pounds across Gletwyn's 1,800 acres, chewing up fields, upending trees, destroying bore hole pumps, pipes and reservoirs.

"If I go, it will be in a box," Mr Ross said before driving off down a muddy track.

Link to article

------------

F*CK MUGABE!!!!

-Bob F.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1792

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com