Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 bore pinfire

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bigiron53e
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/06
Loc: NC
12 bore pinfire
      #46522 - 13/01/06 12:41 PM

Looking for info on where to purchase shells for a 12 bore rifle, pinfire, westley richards double gun in great condition. There has to be some out there.

Gramps

--------------------
SIZE DOES MATTER,
Gramps
Capt USMC
CH-53E Aircraft Commander
Jacksonville, NC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 12 bore pinfire [Re: bigiron53e]
      #46525 - 13/01/06 01:10 PM

Hello Gramps-

Welcome to the list.
Get some photos of that double rifle up here on the site so we can see what you have there.

I have two pinfire bore rifles, they're sixteen bore double rifles and I shoot them both.
You're going to need to cerrosafe cast both of your chambers including an inch or so of the rifled bore, and also slug the bores at the muzzles.
You really need to know just exactly what those chambers and bores measure out to before you can proceed. It's going to be very helpful to know what the rate of twist is too in order to factor everything when it comes time to choose projectiles. It'll also be helpful to know how long the barrels are and how much the gun weighs. That will help determine what kind of load the gun was originally intended to shoot. The chambers may have been lengthened at some time since the gun was originally finished to clean up pitting or damage to the origin of rifling, or in some previous attempt to 'get the gun to shoot'

I'm a machinist and have lathe turned cases for both of my guns, I run roundball in both of them. These guns were originally intended to use paper cases. I've made my cases with fairly thick walled necks to account for that. Some pinfire rifles were set up for thin brass cases, most of the ones I've seen were set up for paper though.

Guage those barrels, let us know how your chambers and bores mike out, we can take it from there.

And get us some photos of that old honey!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CFWs
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/05
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: 12 bore pinfire [Re: bigiron53e]
      #46596 - 14/01/06 11:20 AM

Might want to check out www.hammerdouble.com
They sell new pinfire brass 12ga. shells.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1381

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com