Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkle DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
470NEBD
.275 member

Reged: 17/11/05
Loc: ks usa
Merkle DR
      #44091 - 16/12/05 08:21 AM

Made contact with Gun dealer in Aus,and he did not like the Merkle and said it becomes loose and has had several customers complain about the merkle. I have not heard any bad press about the gun and was wondering if this was just a sales tactic to sale a Heym.Also I recieved a catalog from HK and it had Merkle info in it? when did this happen!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Merkle DR [Re: 470NEBD]
      #44093 - 16/12/05 08:56 AM

In reply to:

Made contact with Gun dealer in Aus,and he did not like the Merkle and said it becomes loose and has had several customers complain about the merkle. I have not heard any bad press about the gun and was wondering if this was just a sales tactic to sale a Heym.Also I recieved a catalog from HK and it had Merkle info in it? when did this happen!!

470NEBD, In my experience, when you hear someone telling you a Merkel shoots loose with a chambering of a cartridge that was designed for double rifles, they usually have shot handloads that are too hot for the rifle, or they have something they want to sell you! Usually it is the second reason.

I don't think you will find a German made rifle that is too weak for the rounds chambered in it from the factory, and Merkel is no weaker than any rifle that is proofed for the round it is chambered for. A full 90% of the doubles that come "off face" do so because of poor care, causeing wear in the henge pin area, not from high pressure from proper loads!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

470NEBD
.275 member

Reged: 17/11/05
Loc: ks usa
Re: Merkle DR [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #44095 - 16/12/05 09:30 AM

Thanks Dugaboy1. The sales person I talked to was just wanting to sale a Heym in My opinion, not saying the Heym is a bad rifle the price was not very attractive. Also do you know if merkle puts a better recoil pad on or is this something I need to look into

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #44580 - 22/12/05 04:52 AM

In reply to:

Thanks Dugaboy1. The sales person I talked to was just wanting to sale a Heym in My opinion, not saying the Heym is a bad rifle the price was not very attractive. Also do you know if merkle puts a better recoil pad on or is this something I need to look into

Let me start by appologizing for not getting back before now!

First, there is absolutly nothing wrong with a Heym double rifle. If the Heym, and the Merkel cost the same. the Heym would be my choice hands down, between the two brands. However, they do not cost the same, and the Heym is not enough better than the Merkel to justify the difference in price! The Merkel is a better bargain!

Merkels do not come with a recoil pad! This, IMO, is so the buyer can custom fit the length of pull when he installs the recoil pad. I installed a Pachmeyr decellarator on my 9.3X74R, and the 470NE has a Kick-ese! I prefere the decellarator, and the Pachmeyr comes in the traditional "RED" rubber now. I'm going to replace both mine with the red decellarators.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Merkle DR [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #44606 - 22/12/05 08:37 AM

The two Merkels that I have shot, a 470 and a 500 3 inch, were well made rifles. I know their owners, members of the DRSS are very happy with their rifles!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #44608 - 22/12/05 08:46 AM

I don't think anyone on this forum has ever had a Merkel come of face. I've shot my .375 over 500 times and it's still like new. Also every one of those shots was with a barnes TSX 270gr or 300gr execpt a small batch of 235 grain speers.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
Re: Merkle DR [Re: bonanza]
      #44694 - 23/12/05 10:39 AM

I have heard a lot of bad press regarding the Merkel and a good deal of it came from people who sell Kreighoff rifles. I am sure that Merkel has ruffled a lot of feathers due to the price of their double rifles.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1894

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com