Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Red rut 2004

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Red rut 2004
      #387064 - 05/10/24 02:02 AM

Eish - time flies - just back from 2 week hunting - guiding clients - was a rather odd but at the end quite succesful season.

Rut was dispersed - one time in one part then on another time in other part...

Just some highlights - 2 best stags shot a night apart - first in the evening, second in the morning:

After first week:

Second week (some are missing):

Just to get the impression - this is how a hunting occasion usually plays out - I took a vid when I was alone without a client (all stags were hunted and shot in the daylight):

https://youtu.be/NJlcN91Hbic

And an incredible occasion that came up when I was feeding the bears - at 11 a.m. I heard a couple of stags roaring and decided to check them out - slipped beneath the path and after a couple of calls it came - it (young 3 y.o. stag) doesn't get any closer:

https://youtu.be/rJaM4hKYdBc

Had a privilege to guide a German nobility with Scheiring Kipplauf in 9,3x64 - 75 years old gentleman walked and shot superb - a client one can only wish for...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Red rut 2004 [Re: 93mouse]
      #387065 - 05/10/24 02:32 AM

Fantastic!
So much like our Roosevelt Elk, with the crowns.
Now THAT is elaborate engraving, perfectly executed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Red rut 2004 [Re: DarylS]
      #387076 - 05/10/24 02:49 PM

93mouse, that's interesting. Of course you've just had your rut, six months or so different to ours.

Very nice red stag antlers. I dread to know what sort of price they are in Europe. A friend showed to me a dawn video on his phone of a small local Red deer herd with a nice antlered red stag. Nothing like Mouses thuough. Free hunting ....if one has landowners permission. The antlers have probably dropped since. Nther red deer was in a car accident. They can because nomidic over a large area in our hills.

I love red stags. I wanted red deer on my farm, not fallow like everyone else. But the fallow were available.

I'd like to hear more about the "bear feeding"?

Quote:

Had a privilege to guide a German nobility with Scheiring Kipplauf in 9,3x64 - 75 years old gentleman walked and shot superb - a client one can only wish for...

Very nice rifle. And from your comments a gentleman hunter. What bullet was he using in his beautiful single shot 9.3x64?

Edited by NitroX (05/10/24 02:55 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#387077 - 05/10/24 03:16 PM

Quote:

Just to get the impression - this is how a hunting occasion usually plays out - I took a vid when I was alone without a client (all stags were hunted and shot in the daylight):

https://youtu.be/NJlcN91Hbic

And an incredible occasion that came up when I was feeding the bears - at 11 a.m. I heard a couple of stags roaring and decided to check them out - slipped beneath the path and after a couple of calls it came - it (young 3 y.o. stag) doesn't get any closer:

https://youtu.be/rJaM4hKYdBc

Thanks for posting.

So you are hunting on foot in the forests? Not from a stand or hochsitz. Nice.

Hunting in the rut certainly would make it easier in thick forest to find and get a shot at lusty stags.

You got nice and close to both. Especially the second.

Do you use all the venison from rutting stags for humans? Any special treatment when skinning? And also how the older stag meat is used?

Do your clients take the venison home with them? All, some, none, used or sold locally?

I always prefer to take an older male deer out of the rut. The meat is better. Of course hunters think in the rut us easier and other hunters might shoot "your" animal if one waits. For my fallow, an eighteen old doe or twelve month old plus buck for the best tender meat. An older buck is less tender but of course could have twice the venison weight.

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to see hunting some
where else in the world. Europe is of interest always to me, and Central and Eastern Europe especially.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Red rut 2004 [Re: NitroX]
      #387097 - 06/10/24 07:35 PM

John we never gut the game in the woods. We always (when possible due to terrain and occasion) bring the whole animal to the cooler and gut it there, then the intestines are driven to the bear feeding place, where we hunt them bears.

We ourselves take the heart, liver and tongue. Heart and liver are superb fresh (if they smell we bath them in milk) baked on onion and tongue is dried, seasoned and lately served cut.

Yes - the whole point of hunting stags in the rut is to hear them and then stalk them - much funnier than sit and wait for them

All the venison goes for human food. Stags smell pretty badly in rut time - but a month at -30 deg C takes all the smell out. Clients usually don't take the meat with them, it is sold to a contractor that processes the meat and sells it in big groceries.

93mouse
.375 member

#387098 - 06/10/24 07:46 PM

Quote:

Very nice rifle. And from your comments a gentleman hunter. What bullet was he using in his beautiful single shot 9.3x64?

There is more - rifle has a second pair of rifled barrels (O/U - Bergstutz) - I don't know the caliber tho...

He was using a light 10g SAX bullet - he shoots it also over longer distances - out ot 400m, but I have convinced him that when coming here and hunt in the forrests he should switch to 19g TUG

Among other guns - he also possesses marvelous Scheiring side/side 8x57IRS that he brings to the driven hunts...if he comes again with it I will try to take a pic of it

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#387101 - 07/10/24 12:54 AM

Quote:

We ourselves take the heart, liver and tongue. Heart and liver are superb fresh (if they smell we bath them in milk) baked on onion and tongue is dried, seasoned and lately served cut.

Yes - the whole point of hunting stags in the rut is to hear them and then stalk them - much funnier than sit and wait for them

All the venison goes for human food. Stags smell pretty badly in rut time - but a month at -30 deg C takes all the smell out. Clients usually don't take the meat with them, it is sold to a contractor that processes the meat and sells it in big groceries.

Thanks for the answer

I've taken a couple red stags, several fallow bucks, a chital and a sambar. A great many farmed fallow. I'm thinking none were in the rut. So never had the problem.

An "Australian-Austrian" friend I hunted with was a butcher. He educated me about various aspects. Like never to touch the males glands then touch meat without washing ones hands first. In Zimbabwe when taking a Waterbuck, often a Waterbuck meat is thought to be unpalatable, inedible. But again I was educated,mthe outfitter brought the Waterbuck to the base, washed and shampooed it. Removed the waxy coating. Touching that then the meat spoils the meat. Washed he claimed the meat was fine. The dirty stinky rutting stags might benefit from such treatment, less contamination of the meat.

Red deer in Australia is introduced, feral. Usually no "game" status. Many hunters just wanting a trophy just waste all the meat. Especially if it's in the rut. Many especially armchair internet experts have no respect of any kind for game. Complete low life's.

Of course hunters will hunt in the rut when especially in forests it's easier to find them. Of course many will take the meat or at least the better cuts.

Interesting a month in the freezer fixes it. Mincing the meat into sausage sounds like one end result.

I love good red deer venison, More gamey than fallow. Both are nice.

We used to eat fallow liver fresh after killing, cooked with onions in a fry pan. Always excellent unless one got a crunchy bit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#387102 - 07/10/24 12:58 AM

Quote:

He was using a light 10g SAX bullet - he shoots it also over longer distances - out ot 400m, but I have convinced him that when coming here and hunt in the forrests he should switch to 19g TUG

10 GM's/154 grns is a light bullet for a 9.3.

Must be zipping along fast in a 9.3x64.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#387103 - 07/10/24 01:24 AM

https://sie-hunting.com/produkter/1416-v...stk-375-hh-10g/

10g 154 gr SAX .375 H&H Mag ammo.

I wonder how well this very light bullet works in a ,375.

Looks like 1060 m/s velocity.

What bullet construction?

If it stabilises ok, what game is it designed for?

https://d95713ba19.clvaw-cdnwnd.com/3c0e...p?ph=d95713ba19

Quote:

The undersize bullet - as produced e.g. by SAX. The chamber throat is subjected to the greatest thermomechanical stress and therefore suffers wear the fastest. Throat erosion is often the main determining factor of a gun's barrel life. The undersized design is actually too slim, in diameter, for the barrel and would normally fall into the rifling. To guarantee the gas seal, oversized ribs / bands are applied to the bullet. The advantage is that the throat is not stressed so dramatically as with a normal bullet design. The disadvantage is that the bullet reacts more sensitive to barrels that are shot out or not 100% accurate rifled.

Quote:

Partial fragmentation bullet - SAX KJG (undersized)

You can see well how the lands rubbed off the guide bands, but did not touch the bullet body.

https://www.ph-rifles.com/en/bullets-ammunition22/

https://www.sax-munition.de/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tybw2jSf4pI

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (07/10/24 01:45 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#387108 - 07/10/24 03:24 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tybw2jSf4pI

Betcha that ammo's expensive!!

--------------------
Daryl

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Red rut 2004 [Re: DarylS]
      #387168 - 09/10/24 08:03 PM

Just my thoughts on SAX in 9,3x62 and 74R:

Pros:

- light
- fast/flat
- low recoil
- exit wound mandatory

Cons

- obstacle sensitive
- over 350m it tends to tumble (too short for those distances)
- terminal effectivness - it downgrades calibers like 9,3x62 or 74R when compared to TUG or other Cup/Lead Core designs (it works superb in fast calibers like 8x68S tho)
- exit wound tho mandatory - it is small and on occasions even after good hit blood trail is hard to find

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#387172 - 09/10/24 09:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I asked on the FB group who'd used SAX ammo

Some replies Some comments.
In Africa worked well on antelope, any size , Didn't on buffalo.
In Africa, worked on smaller antelope. Failed on large animals.
Explosive in 9.3, on roe, lots of meat damage. Didn't penetrate on red stag

I don't think I like acdesign which blows off the tip on impact and the shank acts like a FMJ/solid. I had Nosler Partition .30 180 gr bullets doing that and had to follow it's of animals too many kilometres.

Thanks for the comments the bullet may not stailise when it slows down, Defeats the purpose of a light bullet super fast fat trajectory buetm .

A 154 gr .375 or 9.3 I think is too light. I think a 209 to 235 gr would be better

The 404 I think is a 220 gr SAX. I have some 257 gr Cutting Edge Raptors to try out in the 404.

In a 8mm, the SAX's seem too light. I think the 160 gr Barnes X's would be the lightest I'd go,

In the 6.5 the SAX's are 85 to 90 grs. I'd try a 100 gr 6.5 X point.

These are light bullets to try on light and medium game. A one rifle versatile all rounder approach . Of course 375 / 300ngrs, .404 / 400ngrs, 8 mm /220 grs are preferable for large animals.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#387174 - 10/10/24 03:37 AM

Rod had good results in penetration tests on the 225gr. Hornady's sized down to .367" as well as the 235gr. Speer, sized down the same. They acted like much tougher bullets, I assume, due to the reduction in size, which would have thickened up the jackets some more.
Speer thickened up the jacket on the 235gr. .375's some time back and they worked well for buddy Keith on moose up here in B.C.
The .270 cal. 130gr. TTSX did well in his wife's Parker Hale rifle on Kudu.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 309

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com