Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting
      #385852 - 19/07/24 04:08 AM

https://www.facebook.com/681988283/videos/804098595187397/

Double Rifle Cape Buffalo charge, mp4 file on the NE server

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/07/24 05:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: NitroX]
      #385863 - 19/07/24 09:45 PM

Interesting for sure and a lucky hunter/PH (I suspect the shooter was the PH). Wish there was a little more context as the why the bull charged, like was he wounded or what? It is obvious from the first shot that it had very likely hit the spine or there abouts, there by anchoring the bull to the ground, however I do not understand why a final shot was not taken to end the bull's suffering.

fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: LRF]
      #385864 - 19/07/24 10:48 PM

I agree. I kept waiting for the coupe de grace that never happened.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: fjrdoc]
      #385865 - 19/07/24 11:46 PM

The PH went from an excellent charge video, excellent fast shooting, to copping a lot of criticism for not making a third shot. Though likely the buffalo was quickly dying anyway. The second shot I think was a pass through the buffalos heart / lungs. It just takes some time to bleed out. A third shot might not hasten anything.

A lot of people have a \ "keep shooting until it's dead" mentality. A lot of experience professional hunters know it can take some time for a big beast to bleed out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.400 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #385866 - 20/07/24 12:31 AM

Everyone has opinions and mine is that they should have shot again and perhaps a 4th time to kill the nimal quicker. It is apparent that the spine was hit/clipped and that was what stopped the charge but following that, the buff was alive for a long time. I tghink another shot or two would have significantly hastened the buff's death.

Of course, I wasn't there and this is just my opinion after watching the video.

BTW, excellent shooting. Had the buff not been hit in the spine, the outcome could have been different.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: 85lc]
      #385867 - 20/07/24 12:56 AM

I'd probably have shot a third time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #385868 - 20/07/24 02:29 AM

That was too close. Yikes.
The gurgling breathing showed at least a lung shot on the second shot. At least that's how I "read" the sound.
Good camera work. Amazing, actually.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: DarylS]
      #385869 - 20/07/24 03:01 AM

Compared to the price of a visit and stay at a South African hospital, I am sure the rifle cartridges would be the cheapest part of the hunt. A third hole would bleed the animal quicker, showing respect for the Bull, shoot again.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: LRF]
      #385871 - 20/07/24 03:59 AM

I think I would have shot a third time too, but you can see that the buffalo was dying and in this case you can wait and see.

This also applies to many wild species. Sure, you have to take the animal's suffering into account, but if that is within acceptable limits and if you are sure that they want not get up again, wait until they die, without the additional stress and torment caused by coming and shooting again.

On the buffaloes of Africa are shot far too much and they are followed too quickly, with the result that the wounded game is driven in front of you. Depending on the circumstances and if you are sure of a good shot placement, waiting for the game lies down and bleed to death would be often a better solution.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: grandveneur]
      #385872 - 20/07/24 06:06 AM

Watched it again. I likely would have shot him again as well,but with a soft point.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Z...
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: DarylS]
      #385873 - 20/07/24 08:09 AM

I never wait for animals to 'bleed to death'. If you are going to take a life then do it as quickly and humanely as possible. In this case I would have approached from behind and put a bullet into the spine at the base of the neck, irrespective of what the PH says. I'm not a tyro after six decades of hunting and shooting a lot of animals. Just bullshit standing back and 'waiting' for an animal to bleed out, clapping backs and shaking hands while doing so, not my style of hunting.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: eagle27]
      #385878 - 20/07/24 04:40 PM

Quote:

I never wait for animals to 'bleed to death'. If you are going to take a life then do it as quickly and humanely as possible. In this case I would have approached from behind and put a bullet into the spine at the base of the neck, irrespective of what the PH says. I'm not a tyro after six decades of hunting and shooting a lot of animals. Just bullshit standing back and 'waiting' for an animal to bleed out, clapping backs and shaking hands while doing so, not my style of hunting.

It may be that you did not really understand what I wanted to write. Unfortunately this is due to my English.

This kind of thing has nothing to do with animal cruelty. This is more likely to happen if you approach the wounded game too early and drive it stressed in front of you. There was never any talk of standing there grinning stupidly, clapping and shaking hands while the animal suffers. Everyone who has hunted by us knows our rule and we are all well trained before we get a hunting license.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Quick and smart double rifle cape buffalo shooting [Re: grandveneur]
      #385880 - 20/07/24 09:04 PM

IMO GV is spot oń. Hunting large and dangerous game is not necessarily rushing around like a fool. My words, not his. Shooting "until it falls". Gungho is because of the shooters adrenaline needs, not the animals. But such behaviour can stir a animal with adrenaline.

Large animals simply take time to bleed out.

Wounded beasts if unprovoked may settle and stiffen. If one has good trackers that might be the FASTEST way to finish it off.

On my first safari in 1994, I made an excellent shot on an eland we were following angling from behind. A shot to the heart. Running up another shot, broadside to the lungs, brought the standing animal to the ground. We sat down for the two or three minutes for the animal to peacefully die.

My first and only cape buffalo, I shot at a distance, maybe 60 yards I forget, with a .375. it ran a short distance, stopped and stood there. This experienced PH did not believe in blazing away. The adrenaline argument. I thought the buffalo was improving and said "should I shoot it again?" "Yes" was the answer. A FMJ zipped through both lungs and whined into the horizon. The buffalo ran angling back towards us, througha dongaor shallow creek. Didn't manage to get up the opposing bank and collapsed. It soon died.

Many water buffalo, scrub bulls, banteng, rarely die instantly with a single shot to the chest. If trying to get up again, of course it gets shot again.

A friend and fellow NE member wanted to shoot water buffalo with his "new" 6.5x54 M-S. His first bull, shot expertly to the heart from close range. The nervous PH demanded a second shot, The ran before falling over. The second bull, again at close range on an unaware bull, again another expert heart shot. Again the demand for another. This time refused. The bulk walked as if unaware it had been shot, and after a number of steps fell over dead.

Large animals simply take time to bleed out. Only a spine shot to the neck or better brain shot kills instantly. Anything else requires blood loss. Shock as well may kill quickly sometimes.

In the video a third shot may hasten this animal's bleeding. As eagle says, or implies, ashot to the neck spine may speed the death. Assuming it hasn't already been shot to the spine in the neck ... I think by the time the shooter circled the down animal and cleared the area of cameraman, client, trackers et , that bull would be dead.

I think the guys in the video reaction is more their adrenalin results of a dramatic very close charge, with the animal ending up at the shooters feet. The sort of video footage that made Mark Sullivan's video career, Their reaction is shock and the adrenalin rush from a close encounter. Not the back slapping yahooing one sometimes sees when a large trophy is dropped.

Excellent shot on the sudden charging beast AND very quick second shot probably a FMJ, through the animals chest. Good shooting. Really nothing more is needed.

Most of us don't have a video to record our hunts. Nor have a charging bull end up falling on our feet.

Enjoy the video. Its how all us double rifle users hope to shoot in an emergency.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (21/07/24 11:09 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #385907 - 21/07/24 10:47 PM

Excellent quick shooting!
Clearly the cameraman was confident the bull wasn't getting up again, given where he was standing to film the demise.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 797

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com