Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifles for Africa, a good video

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rifles for Africa, a good video
      #385693 - 09/07/24 05:09 PM

Rifles for Africa. The video quality is not 100% but the comments in the video and advice seem pretty good. Worth watching for the novice and experienced as a refresher.

https://youtu.be/0Pgi7NGCwHI?si=JAfPhBrE8wEzHveX

Discuss what you agree with and anything you disagree with.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: NitroX]
      #385694 - 09/07/24 07:32 PM

John:
I can watch Desert Dog all day long: he definitely thinks like me ( for the most part!).
Even though his presentation style takes some getting used-to, I'd buy him a beer any day!
...and Ron Spomer can pay for his own pink fizz!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: Marrakai]
      #385699 - 09/07/24 10:18 PM

Desert Dawg doesn't know double rifles. Not does he understand the benefit of the African carry method. His idea of a safe rifle in the vehicle is an unloaded magazine as well, and showing or telling the PH ... most PHs I've had would think that "range shooter mentality" silly on safari. But most of the video I agree with.

Yelling into the camera, a bit unpleasant, but a viewer can cope with the loud voice.

Ron Spooner and his waffle videos of him talking about cartridges in his armchair with spreadsheets and the closest he gets to shooting them is fondling the factory cartridges boxes .... Not a contest.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: Marrakai]
      #385700 - 09/07/24 10:22 PM

"Pussified" great term and fairly accurate, but not just American men, pretty universal everywhere, in this "womanish run" world we live in. I liked the video.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: LRF]
      #385709 - 10/07/24 11:11 AM

Quote:

Yelling into the camera

Being a shooter, maybe he's a bit deaf (like most of us! )
Luckily I have a volume control on my TV...

Quote:

Not does he understand the benefit of the African carry method

If there's more than two of you in the group, neither do I...
In fact, it terrifies me to see client videos where the hunter has his muzzles pointed at the PH's back continuously while stumbling through the bush.
...and occasionally, to see a PH sweeping the cameraman while explaining something.
I was raised to treat every rifle as if it's loaded, and to never point the muzzle at anything I don't wish to kill. Perhaps the African bush demands greater risks?

Not wanting to hijack this interesting thread though, so that's definitely a discussion for another day.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #385710 - 10/07/24 11:13 AM

LRF I agree with you about the pussiafied men of today.

I think he is correct about the African carry method. Yes it can be useful for carrying a 10lb rifle for miles on end. I have tried it and don't like it as 1) as he said you laser people with it, 2) it takes longer to get it in your shoulder then a standard cross the body carry 3) when you enter any form of scrub it is a hinderance. These are just my findings.

I don't agree with his take on the Mauser extractor. Yes they are good and probably the most reliable system but they are not infallible. Just about everything he said wont happen, I have had happen and when you have a double feed with the Mauser 98 system you are in a world of hurt. I would have been much happier if he had said something like, they can fail but very rare, so practice and practice with your rifle, fast and slow cycling of the bolt, so if there are any weaknesses they should show up and you can fix them.

I do think it is a good information video. It would be very rare to have all agree with a single person.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: Rule303]
      #385718 - 10/07/24 07:22 PM

Using the Africa carry method I've never had trouble not pointing the muzzles at anyone. Whether in a group or not. It's quite easy to angle the muzzles away from anyone. Often on safari everyone walks in a line. Usually a tracker the PH, then the client. Others behind unless they spread out to search for tracks. Easy in a line to angle to the left or right.

Funny the advice to use a sling. Others claim a sling should never be on a dangerous game rifle.

Certainly a sling gets in the way in thick thorn jess.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#385719 - 10/07/24 07:28 PM

Quote:

I don't agree with his take on the Mauser extractor. Yes they are good and probably the most reliable system but they are not infallible. Just about everything he said wont happen, I have had happen and when you have a double feed with the Mauser 98 system you are in a world of hurt. I would have been much happier if he had said something like, they can fail but very rare, so practice and practice with your rifle, fast and slow cycling of the bolt, so if there are any weaknesses they should show up and you can fix them.

I agree with the CRF Mauser being the best and ideal

Many net debaters argue it's essential if you WANT TO SURVIVE!

Wankers. Internet mass debaters.

My .404 is a Mauser M03. I'm happy to use it. If it one-day gets me kiled, I'll change my mind.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #385732 - 11/07/24 06:54 AM

Quote:

Using the Africa carry method I've never had trouble not pointing the muzzles at anyone. Whether in a group or not. It's quite easy to angle the muzzles away from anyone. Often on safari everyone walks in a line. Usually a tracker the PH, then the client. Others behind unless they spread out to search for tracks. Easy in a line to angle to the left or right.

Funny the advice to use a sling. Others claim a sling should never be on a dangerous game rifle.

Certainly a sling gets in the way in thick thorn jess.

I too found it easy to not laser people with it, but not everybody is like that. Most I have seen did laser others with it, hence one of my reasons for the dislike.

Agree with the sling in thick bush been a bad thing.

Edited by Rule303 (11/07/24 06:55 AM)

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #385737 - 11/07/24 12:51 PM

John,

This is a good video.

When still hunting, I sometimes use the "African carry" but don't when others are around. For me, it is too easy to point my rifle at others.

The rest of the time, I carry my rifle slinged on my right shoulder. It is easy and quick to grab the butt and swing the rifle up.

A sling can be a problem (catching on brush) when the rifle is carried in front unless I stick my left arm thru the sling and grab the forearm. It tightens the sling somit is much less likely to be caught on brush and makes it easier for me to shoot accurately standing.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rifles for Africa, a good video [Re: 85lc]
      #385743 - 12/07/24 06:35 PM

I'm not one of those net wannabes or "perfectionists" who insist "there should never be a sling on a dangerous game rifle". A "bolt action must be controlled round feed". And other ideals.

The old hunters survived and prospered with black powder single shots,evenmuzzle loaders, maybe a couple of them hunting ivory. Colonial farmers may have used SMLE .303s or Mauser 8x57s or 8x60s. For buffalo, elephant, big cats and plains game, Some used shotguns with slugs.

99% of clients have a PH or guide. Who is also armed. Often his DGR is carried by a tracker until needed. I've also hunted by myself and have taken friends out. So I am not GV's label of the "tourist hunter".

I use a sling on all my DGRs. My Jeffery .450 DR has the large hooks as swivels. Most have the quick detachable swivels. Useful when carrying a rifle on long walks. Those fat net wannabes might have trouble walking a hundred metres often anyway. The idea that you need your DVR ready in your hands instantly for defensive action against dangerous critters is really internet "commando" thinking and fantasy. If hunting Cape Buffalo the herd will probably flee on encountering your party anyway, Unless following up a wounded bull, cat etc. Then you definitely want it in your hands, loaded and ready.

Those old hunters often had their DGR carried by the gunbearer ...

If entering really thick bush, take the sling off.

On slings and straps, why is a sling so snaggable, while the binocular straps are not? I tried one of those binocular harnesses, holding it on the front of your chest. They are aweful. I stopped using it quickly, They get snagged a lot. On slings, bush, stuff. Same as those quick to shoot slings, that hold the rifle on your shoulder and allow it to be repositioned quickly to the shoulder. They snag easily. Too many straps everywhere on all these things. Never try to use both at once unless you are into hunting bondage ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 601

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com