Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Seven scope myths most shooters believe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Seven scope myths most shooters believe
      #385304 - 18/06/24 06:33 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKIbv8rv3Q

Seven scope myths most shooters believe

What do you think?

I know I could miss out all the guff from the "Elements scope maker" sales man ... Especially the price discussion in video advertising ...

What about thicker tubes, say 25 vs 35 mm tubes, the guy claims the thicker tube has nothing to do with increased light transmission? True or not? Obviously all the Euro s old makers have got it wrong then ... ? ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/06/24 06:45 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Seven scope myths most shooters believe [Re: NitroX]
      #385308 - 18/06/24 09:53 PM

Concerning the tube and objective diameter question I believe the video pretty much got it right. There are a lot of variables that one must consider and in many cases weigh one against another. Here is another short video that supports the first video. (I think the biggest attribute for the larger diameter tube is the potential increase in reticle adjustment available.)
Scope diameter

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Seven scope myths most shooters believe [Re: LRF]
      #385309 - 19/06/24 01:53 AM

The "potential" for greater light transmission & scope adjustment increases lies with tube diameter, I believe.
Element scopes appear to be amongst the very best at reticle adjustment by cranking the turrets. This is obvious when watching the turret crankers shooting various in-game animals and birds with air rifles having HUGE trajectories.
The repeatability is absolutley amazing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Seven scope myths most shooters believe [Re: DarylS]
      #385310 - 19/06/24 02:00 AM

Wasn't able to watch the videos as my internet connection was too weak this morning.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Seven scope myths most shooters believe [Re: DarylS]
      #385319 - 19/06/24 01:14 PM

The video seems to be on the mark for most/all their points. At least from what I have been taught/learnt.

I can not talk for Element scopes as I have never seen one let alone had a play with one. However the higher end Euro scopes tend to have better clarity, tracking and durability then others. Talking hunting scopes here and just what I have found.

Edited by Rule303 (19/06/24 01:17 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#385327 - 19/06/24 06:26 PM

Quote:

(I think the biggest attribute for the larger diameter tube is the potential increase in reticle adjustment available.)

Putting aside the opening links' USA obsession for "long range" shooting.

With a lot or most Euro hunting scopes being often made for low light or night hunting. Ranges are often not great. Wounding lots of animals at 1000 metres would loose a Euro hunting licence pretty quickly. And all Euro hunting scopes having closed cap turrets, designed to be sighted in, cap screwed on, used without adjusting the reticle in the field. What then is the alleged benefit of an "increase in reticle adjustment"? Seeing most are now 30 mm and 35 mm monstrosities,

I think I know the answer, variable scope ranges. A 25 or 26 mm tube usually has a 3x range, 3-9x, 4-12x etc. 30 mm and 35 mm tubes can have a 6x or even 8x variable range, 1-6x even 1-8x.

And still have good light transmission for low light hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/06/24 06:28 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#385328 - 19/06/24 06:29 PM

No mention of illuminated reticles in the opening video link.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#385329 - 19/06/24 06:44 PM

Quote:

Concerning the tube and objective diameter question I believe the video pretty much got it right. There are a lot of variables that one must consider and in many cases weigh one against another. Here is another short video that supports the first video. (I think the biggest attribute for the larger diameter tube is the potential increase in reticle adjustment available.)
Scope diameter

I think that video actually says the opposite.

Firstly the video is advertising for the Vortex scope makers who have made the video.

They then try to say a quality made scope is better than a low quality cheap scope ... Duh ....

They compare a cheap low quality scope with a larger objective lens and wider tube to a SUPER DOOPER VORTEX SUPER PREMIUM scope, claiming the Vortex has better light transmission.

At the end he does admit a larger objective lens and presumably wider tube ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL will provide more light transmission. Of course.

The larger lenses of the objective and wider tube WILL make that scope more expensive for quality lens of greater size compared to a smaller scope. A high quality larger lens will always cost more than a smaller equally quality lens.

I'll go out on a limb, I'm guessing neither Vortex nor Elements are making wider tube scopes, maybe 30 mm, but not 35 mm. And their videos have self serving arguments as part of the paud advertising.

The Elements guff repeatedly comparing a "$700 scope to a $3500 scope" was pretty obviously advertising.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#385330 - 19/06/24 06:57 PM

I'm not a lens physic expert but I disagree with the tube diameter being irrelevant to light transmission.

I did a Google search on telescopes and lens size. It's Always mentioned the larger the lens the more light is gathered. While size of the telescope is mentioned, width etc, it's not in a brief reading mentioned if subsequent lens are relevant or not. But I can't see how the first is relevant and later lenses are not. These giant telescopes have pretty much straight tubes, unlike a rifle scope. I'm unaware of the constructin inside these straight tubed telescopes.

Secondly hunting spotting scopes. Why are their designs similar to a telescope and not a hunting scope? More or less straight tubed spotting/telescopes. Increased magnification to a hunting scope, but need always increased light transmission. They don't need the fine precise movements of a reticle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#385339 - 20/06/24 01:57 AM

Element scopes are quite famous for perfect "tracking of the reticle" for repeat tracking over and over.
I don't know how big a gun(recoil-wise) they are recommended for, but do know of them being used up to .260Rem., which of course is mild recoil.
Guys are using them on higher quality air rifles for shooting vermin and pest birds out to extended ranges, like 180meters with pellets and well as slugs started below the speed of sound. We're talking about excessively high trajectories with perfect tracking of the reticles. Even the least expensive one at $450.00 cdn. has perfect tracking. Of course these scopes are primarily for turret crankers.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 401

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com