Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb?
      #385195 - 10/06/24 09:21 PM

Knife sharpening systems, using a frame and an angled oil or wet stone, several grades to put consistent angles on a blades edge, and a keen sharp edge.

Mchughcb at the Big Game Nationals last year did an excellent job putting a very sharp good edge on a number of knives using a sharpening set which clamped onto the table or bench.

I'd looked at an advertised set similar, different brand. But the advertiser had many very bad reviews for non delivery of paid orders, if I remember.

I'd like Mchughcb, or others to comment. Recommend sharpening sets, brands etc. Why? It'd be much appreciated.

Pictures of examples, no particular brand.

I do have an older Loray or Lansky set similar to this pictured set. With three stones. The clamped version look very efficient and look to work very well.

With an extensive blade collection, knives galore, swords, axes, bladed spears, I think investment in a decent bench set isn't inappropriate. Three new knives added to the collection from Argentina.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: NitroX]
      #385214 - 11/06/24 08:01 PM

I have an edgepro apex and a wicked edge go. I also used to have a lansky system.

The chinese clone that you have of the edgepro apex has important differences that you pay for.

1. Inferior chinese silicon stones. The edge pro sells high quality japanese stones. They are far better quality and finish and you will see that on the edge. The higher 4000 grit is what I use for finishing and you can get a mirror finish rather than use and leather with stroping paste.

2. The clamp onto the bench is poor. It relies on suction which you don't get and you kit will be moving. The edge pro and wicked edge are clamped via c-clamp and will not move. You should not be applying so much pressure it will flex.

3. There is not height defined angle. Whereas the more expensive systems have the degrees marked so you can generally adjust between 15 and 35 degrees without the need for an inclometer.

4. The edge pro has an after market magnet which I bought and firmly holds the blade in place.

I'd consider the edge pro a turbo version of the Lansky, which only uses diamond stones which are generally more coarser than the silicon stones. Lansky is fine for out bush but not as refined as the edgpro apex.

5. The adverstising shows the knife clamped underneath the guide. The spine of the knife is meant to sit on the which plastic, not to be clamped by it so you can easily move long blades along if you cant do the whole blade in one pass.

Edgepro have just release a new version which incorporates the bench clamp and magnet as standard now. The quality is so much better than the chinese clones.

Having said all that I did have a chinese clone for a couple of months as I learned to sharpen. Sure I got my knives shaving sharp but it took longer than the American made original and I doubt would last as long.

Edge Pro and Wicked Edge are great manual systems and a step up from just a sharpening stone but if you have to re-profile to remove large chunks they can take a lot of time and effort compared to something like an electric Tormek T4.

I use mine every week at home for knives, sisscors and securtuers. Everything is razor sharp and cutting things is now not such a chore.

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: mchughcb]
      #385215 - 11/06/24 08:15 PM

I did also want to say that it helped me a lot to buy a couple of recommended books on knife sharpening principles. It also helps diagnose what is going wrong with knife sharpening too.

This one by a professional knife sharpener

https://www.amazon.com/Razor-Edge-Book-Sharpening/dp/096660590X

and this one helped me.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284852097625...95626d61664baf9

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: mchughcb]
      #385219 - 11/06/24 08:52 PM

Thanks. I'll have a look at your suggestions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: NitroX]
      #385222 - 12/06/24 12:33 AM

My bro had a "Sharpening Business" for many years. He sharpened all sorts of knives as well as meat grinder blades and scissors, especially hair dresser scissors.
Those take a special attention due to the proper angles needed.
Dad taught him how to sharpen tools many decades ago. He's especially good at it and used no sharpening devices or tools, all by hand. Some people are gifted at that.
He had many different stones, from several white ones and a large black stone that was somewhere from 1,000 to 5,000 grit. I don't remember exactly. That one was used to finish the hair dresser scissors.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: DarylS]
      #385224 - 12/06/24 01:20 AM

It takes quite a bit of skill to free hand sharpen knives. A friend's dad was very good at that and all his knives were razor sharp - would easily shave the hairs off your arm.

I am not that good so I use a Warthog system to sharpen our knives.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: 85lc]
      #385226 - 12/06/24 03:08 AM

I'm still learning but I'm able to get good edges & getting better all the time.
It's all about controlling the angles and repeatability. An edge that shaves arm hair hair is quite easy. An edge that POPS tje hair off your arm is more difficult and requires a strop to finish the polishing of the edge. All of Taylor's edges are scary-sharp whether knives, scissors or broadheads.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: DarylS]
      #385230 - 12/06/24 08:42 AM

Dad taught me how to sharpen knives on whetstones...60 years ago? Until about 10 years ago I used a two grit stone I bought 50 years ago....and it looks it. 10-15 years ago I bought one of those Case, three grit stones on a triangular block and have used it since. I can put an edge on my pocket and skinning knifes I can shave with. That's sharp enough.

Handing down the skill, I taught my oldest son. When he was in high school, 30+ years ago, he made a bit of spending money sharpening classmates pocket knives for $1.00 a blade. We lived in a very rural area and most kids were farm kids and pocket knives were more to be expected than grounds for being expelled.....or jailed. It was just before the time the US started its race to the bottom of the septic tank. It was a small school, there was 28 kids in his graduating class.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: sharps4590]
      #385232 - 12/06/24 10:24 AM

Mchughcb has infinitely greater experience than I have and I value his opinion. However, I have one of the Chinese clone types similar to the one pictured in the first post. I've had it for at least 10 years and its still working well. I've not had a problem with the quality of the stones. The ones that came with it do a great job of getting the blades sharp. On mine, the height adjustment has a series of colour coded dots which indicate the sharpening angle. I find the suction base perfect for gripping the laminex table, whereas a clamp might be somewhat savage on the furniture (Not an issue if you've got a workbench setup specifically for the purpose) I agree with Mchughcb about the blade clamping, however the problem appears to in the advertising photo. On mine the instructions, and pictures, clearly details that the spine of the blade sits on the guide.

I think Mchughcb maybe correct in claiming that the Edgepro is better built, better quality. This is certainly relevant to someone who does a lot of blade sharpening. For me I just do my hunting knives and my wife's kitchen knives. I don't have the level of usage that requires the "Rolls Royce" version.

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Knife sharpening systems, advice wanted mchughcb? [Re: Hunter4752001]
      #385234 - 12/06/24 01:07 PM

I gave my Chinese clone to my boss and for keeping his wife happy with kitchen knives it as better than what he had before which was a Sharpening steel.

No problems getting Chinese clone and start by using a cheap knife. It is a good way to start and like everything you will reach a point you want to upgrade.

Hair popping sharpness for some people is great but there is a trade-off as these are also easily damaged.

Benton Dale the inventor and owner of Edgepro advises for 99% of applications of knives 21degrees is best compromise between keenness, sharpness and maintenance

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 553

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com