Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Namibian Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
My Namibian Hunt
      #37417 - 14/09/05 08:46 AM

On Saturday morning the 21st of May we left Pretoria on our way to Stampriet in Namibia. Excitement was high and we didn’t worry about the long road ahead. First stop was at Ventersdorp where we had to drop off a couple of things at Johan’s brothers on the farm. Johan’s cousin decided he was coming along and quickly we had to re arrange a couple of things and off we went. The evening at about 19h00 we went through the border, while checking our rifles, my 308’s number did not correspond with my rifle license, then I remembered that the gunsmith had rechambered my rifle and that the number might be hidden by the stock. Out came the Leather man and I stripped the riffle. Problem sorted out we were through the border in about a hours time. We arrived at Granau 01h00 the Sunday morning. Very tired we clocked in at the only motel in the town.

This is about all that is in town

The next morning we left at 07h00 on our way to Marienthal where we must meet Arno at 13h00. It is a very flat country and you pass the beautiful Karras mountains.
I have never seen such long flat straight roads in my life, not even in the Northern Cape where I grew up.

We arrived in time at Marienthal and after a quick meal we left for Stampriet. After about 30 km out of Stampriet we turned on a dirt road for the last couple of kilo’s to the farm.

The only other traffic on the road

Our arrival at the farm gate

What we did not know when we entered the farm is that it would be the last time we will see the boundary of the farm until we leave, the farm is 38000ha big.

Monday morning we checked the rifles and we were off to the bush. I ook my Sako 375, my 308 Winmag and the 22-250 for the culling part of the hunt. Johan took 2 Gemsbok and I took 1at about 250m the afternoon. The Tuesday morning we went after Springbok, my first one I took at 330m, checked it with the rage finder, with the 308. I took another 4 and Johan got 3. That was our quota for Springbok.

One of my Springboks, it just missed Roland Ward but made SCI

We had a feast in the bush with fresh kidneys, heart and liver. There is nothing to beat this heavenly food

The afternoon I went after 2 more Gemsbok. Both were taken with the 308 at 220 and 270 m

This one measured 42 inches

Our quotas were full and the next morning we started culling Springbok for the butchery on the farm and for a abattoir. On this farm alone a 1000 Springbok was to be culled during the hunting season. The Wednesday evening we slept on a dune, this was quite an experience and an amazing sunrise woke us the next morning.

A load of Springbok on the Cruiser, the hooks work very well.

The two trackers who did a tremendous job

By Thursday evening we had shot 70 Springbok between 4 of us. It was the longest headshots that I have ever attempted. I used my 22-250 with a 6x24 Lynx scope and 55gr V-Max bullets. All the shots were over 300m.

The Friday we spent getting ready to tackle the long way back.

The last evenings sunset

We left Saturday morning at 06h00 on the 2100 km trip back home. We had no trouble at the borders even with permits that was not completed properly. After an 4 hour sleep in Ventersdorp we arrived in Pretoria at 08h00 the Sunday morning. My bum was sore and my legs could hardly bent after the long drive. Will I ever go back to Namibia? Only if I can fly. It is a total different hunting experience than what I am used to. It is vast open land compared to the bushveld that I am used too. It was a lot of fun.

It took me 3 days to work the meat, make biltong and wors. I brought back 380 kg of meat, it should last me a little while, though not to long I think.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: My Namibian Hunt [Re: SAHUNT]
      #37487 - 14/09/05 10:52 PM

Great photos and story. That is a magnificient Gemsbok in the photo.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #37638 - 17/09/05 02:27 AM

Thanks Jaco,

Wonderful pictures, wonderful landscapes, wonderful animals.

Very nice impala, I inherited one of my father in law, sure not this large.
Namibia is very demanding concerning long distance shooting. I think it almost always the case there?

More stunning are the names in Namibia.

You are talking of Marienthal : here in France Marienthal is next door, 20 miles.
Another has told of Lemberg (Namibia) that's the name the place I am hunting in France.

Thanks

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

larcher
.416 member

Re: My Namibian Hunt [Re: larcher]
      #37639 - 17/09/05 02:35 AM

marienthal

lemberg France, read Silver Star lines 8 and 12

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #37643 - 17/09/05 02:59 AM

Great post Jaco. Your pictures make my heart yearn to return to Namibia, which is one of my favorite southern african countrys.

Just beautiful.

Erik

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #37648 - 17/09/05 06:31 AM

Not all shooting in Namibia is a long range afair. I've hunted in Namiba 3 times, and I can tell you that 99% of my shots have been under 160 yards. My longest shot was this year on a Mt. Zebra that was only a little over 200 yards or so. My closest shot taken was on a Kudu Bull that I took at under 20 yards.

BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
      #37655 - 17/09/05 08:38 AM

SAHUNT,

Namibia is a wonderful place to hunt. Looks like you had a good and very busy hunt. Thanks for posting your pictures. Next time I will spend more time hunting those springbok. You are fortunate to be only a bakkie drive away.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#37795 - 19/09/05 06:16 AM

JB
Which Impala?

Mike

You are absolutely right. We hunted in the southern areas in the kalahari part of Namibia, there you only get long shots. Further north you get bushveld, that is the type of hunting I prefer. After 22 hoursof driving you don't want to see the inside ofa bakkie anymore and your bum is sore. However it was a new experience but I prefer to stalk animals.

John Bigbullet

I think, not 100% sure, our bakkie drive to Namibia is longer than a plane flight. The problem with a bakkie is taht you are forced in one position for hours, in a plane you can walk around and strech your legs, 22 hours driving is damn taxing. The end of the day it was still a lot of fun.

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

larcher
.416 member

#37937 - 21/09/05 09:08 PM

Sahunt

Sorry, I never hunted this southward. I wrote Impala instead of Springbock, sorry.
You know the French are fearing only 2 species, the springbock and the Wallaby.
They are the very best on the Rugby planet.

--------------------

BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
      #37940 - 21/09/05 09:40 PM

SAHUNT,

22 hours, that is a long trip! I didn't realize it was that far. But I can tell you 18 hours on the airbus from Atlanta to Jo'burg is no bargin either. At least you control your own schedule. And you are right, the confinement, troubles and hassle of the trip is well worth it when there is good hunting on the other end, regardless of the mode of transport.

I enjoyed the photos of your hunt. I had hunted Namiba in 2000 and 2002, both times having a wonderful trip. The country is ruggedly beautiful. The most important thing I learned while in Namibia is you don't leave the bakkie without your water bottle.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#37951 - 22/09/05 01:02 AM

JB

Sorry but I could not resist on getting to you on that Impala.
Talking of rugby, the French also have a great team. We only fear to teams the All Blacks and the French. Your rugby team can pull strange rabits out of the hat and are all over the veld.

BigBullet

Thanks
2100km @ 100km/h is a damn long way and then you need refueling and leg streches in between. We did not stick to 100 km/h.

You only forget your water once and never again there after, I learned that long time ago in the army. Also you need to go slow on it, hunting days got a tendancy of getting unexpectedly long.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

larcher
.416 member

#37978 - 23/09/05 02:11 AM

God forbid,

I messed up with springbock and then I forgot to name the magig ALL BLACKS along with the Fantastic Wallaby and Springbock. Frigging All Blacks, it's like not willing to name Lucifer, Belzebuth or other devils.. These All Blacks are so good and so feared. How it'll be exciting without the everwinning All Blacks. What would be more fun : the Brits should merge their teams : Wales+Scottland+England to get a better one than each alone.

Bigbullet,

I hate your saying "But I can tell you 18 hours on the airbus from Atlanta to Jo'burg is no bargin either".
This year I used a couple of Airbus and Boeing. Both are wonderful planes. Airbus has nothing to do with cramming the passengers, it's SA airlines who is coupable. They would have spoiled Boeings the same way.

Sorry BigBull, no offense intended.

2100 km : it's a trip, say the distance Erik is from Marocco.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2590

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com