Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who owns the meat?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Who owns the meat?
      #37320 - 13/09/05 01:13 PM

When on safari, who actually owns the animal, including the meat?

Now my recollection from the early 1980's in South Africa was the trophy fee paid for an animal paid for the trophy AND the carcase.

In Zimbabwe in the early eighties the trophy fee AGAIN paid for both the trophy and the carcase. At least in one area on the Zambezi.

Has this changed legally in the meantime?

Citizen hunters also pay trophy fees (usually lesser) and also own the carcase BTW.

Putting aside considerations of what to do with it and how to deal with it. Just interested in whether all the meat actually belongs to the client or to the outfitter (or concession owner etc).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Who owns the meat? [Re: NitroX]
      #37329 - 13/09/05 02:23 PM

It depends on if we are talking government concession, private land or communal/tribal land. On tribal land, the deal often is that the foreign hunter pulls the trigger and keeps the horns, but the blacks get most of the meat.

BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
Re: Who owns the meat? [Re: 500grains]
      #37358 - 14/09/05 01:21 AM

NitroX,

The real answer is "it depends". There are different "procedures" and price lists for international hunters as opposed to local (biltong) hunters. My experience is limited to RSA and Namibia, but in these areas the meat is owned by the landowner, not the international. In most instances this is not a big deal because you have no place to put 200 kg of kudu.

For local hunters, they do get the meat or half the meat, the rest going to the landowner. Then the local can sell the meat to a butcher or keep it for himself. If you sell it to a butcher, you can currently expect about 1.20 USD per kilo. This is used to offset the cost of your hunting which can be a good deal.

If the rancher keeps it, it is used for his own purpose, feeding ranch staff, sold to the butcher or donated to food pantries in the area. I have seen all these end uses for the places in Namibia.

When hunting tribal areas, the meat goes to the local tribes for their use and distribution.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #37363 - 14/09/05 02:14 AM

John,

It depends on what type of land as mentioned above. But I can tell you that in Chewore North, the meat belongs to the concession owner (in this case Big5), and they use the meat to feed their staff (and probably sell a bit also). Any animals taken in a self defence situation (and that is not wanted as a trophy etc) befalls Nat. Parks. Thus, the elephant that charged us this summer, and was shot, went to the game scout camp in Chewore North. They were naturaly very happy for all the meat.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #37389 - 14/09/05 05:23 AM

I will say it depends of the contract the outfitter signed when leasing the territory.

In the Burkina, a small part of the meat feed the hunters and the cooks, nothing for the staff. The rest has to be delivered to the villagers. There is a list of villages which will be delivered one after the other.Is a buff shot, the hunters will have buff steaks for the dinner, the rest will go to the lucky village, say village N°9. The morrow an oribi is shot, the hunters will eat more than half of the oribi, the rest (4 pds)will be conveyed to the disappointed village N°10, they would have rather get a Roan or a buff. And so on.

In the CAR the meat is for the camp and nothing for the villages around. The governor (prefect) will have Baboon meat on a regular basis (I swear it's true, he loves baboon meat even though it's forbiden in the Coran) to smooth off any trouble with the administration. The staff feel happy with much much meat. They make sort of biltong. The suckers don't cut meat ribbons, but meat bricks. The frigging bricks cannot dry quick enough and it results the core is only rotten pulpy meat. Lucky they don't share our plane.

Other places, other traditions... biodiversity?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1801

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com