Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bushbuck Quest in 2005

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
Bushbuck Quest in 2005
      #37291 - 13/09/05 01:07 AM

We had hunted hard in 2004 for a bushbuck, 15 km northeast of Alldays in the Limpopo province of RSA. The riverine brush was perfect for bushbuck and we saw much spoor of the elusive beasts, but we did not spot even the slightest hair of a bushbuck. During the past year, I have had many dreams of hunting bushbuck again, only this time connecting.

This year I was back hunting with Lochi Lochner in RSA, but this time our quest for bushbuck took us to the Crocidile river half way between Thabazembi and Brits. Here we hunted with Johan Hermann who has a bow hunting only game ranch, but also many hectares of agricultural crops. It was on the edge of these irragated wheat fields that we hunted.

You could see where the warthogs, bushbuck and bushpigs had done significant damage to the edges of the wheat fields. At first light we were out walking and stalking between the fileds and the river. We spotted 3 bushbuck ewes, but no rams.

That evening about 90 minutes before dark we took up a position on the edge and sat, waiting for the bushbuck to come into the fields to feed at dusk. At the far edge of the field a ram came out, but he was over 400 yards away, maybe more and I thought we had positioned ourselves in the wrong spot. Then as the light began to fade a ram came out at 175 yards. I rested my rifle across Johans shoulder, but was having a little trouble finding the ram in the field as he was very dark in color against the dark tree background. Finally I fired and Johan said "you hit him, he is staggering, shoot again". He didn't know in my haste to see the bushbuck through the scope, I got it a bit close to my forehead and now blood was streaming into my eye and I was somewhat blinded by the muzzle flash. And the ram slowly made it into the long reeds. I cursed a little.

Since bushbuck can be aggressive when wounded or cornered, we went back to the camp, had a stiff drink, a smoke and a little dinner. Then we gathered up the lights, a shotgun loaded with slugs and a smallish Jack Russell terrier to follow the blood spoor.

After only maybe 5 minutes and 15 yards into the reeds the Jackie found the bushbuck very dead. The shot had taken him too far back and only caught the offside lung then exited.

He is not big by any standards, but I am very pleased with the hunt and finally getting a bushbuck. Someday, maybe I'll go back and look for his papa.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

Edited by BigBullet (13/09/05 01:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Bushbuck Quest in 2005 [Re: BigBullet]
      #37326 - 13/09/05 02:09 PM

Good looking busbuck. I hope you had him mounted.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #37361 - 14/09/05 02:09 AM

Bigbullet,

Although not a big Bushbuck, the important thing, as you mention, is that you enjoyed your hunt. If that is achieved, then the trophy size doesn't really matter. '

Erik

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #37414 - 14/09/05 08:22 AM

In reply to:

He is not big by any standards, but I am very pleased with the hunt and finally getting a bushbuck.

Bigbullet,

Any decent Bushbuck hunted fairly is a great Bushbuck!!! Personally, I think too many of us hunters make too much of the trophy inches game. You shared a good story with us and you have great memories from the hunt. In my book, those are the most important things.

I took a Bushbuck along the banks of the Limpopo River back in 2002. His field measurement was 14 inches. That's a decent Bushbuck but not fantastic. But he's MY Bushbuck and I'm very proud of him!!

Here's the one I took back in 2002:

I think your Bushbuck looks great and you can be very proud of him! I especially like his dark coat and dark nose. Very distinctive looking! Frankly, I think mine is rather plain looking compared to yours!! I really like your Bushbuck!!

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing the story and the photo!

Cheers...
-Bob F.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bushbuck Quest in 2005 [Re: BFaucett]
      #37433 - 14/09/05 11:41 AM

BB,

I wouldn't be upset with that Bushbuck. His facial markings are very very nice and if the shoulder mount doesn't dilute the colourings and gets the white on the neck in as well too, it will be very nice. My Limpopo bushbuck is nothing in looks to yours.

Bob and BB,

Bob, your photo is very nice with the river behind.

Not being an expert but Bob, your bushbuck looks like a Chobe species, some of which are supposed to be on the Limpopo as well, while BB's looks very much like the darker Limpopo variety.

Anyone who knows?

Thanks for the photos, gentlemen.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #37474 - 14/09/05 08:45 PM

Great looking bushbuck.
Clearly from the photos you can see the two types of bushbuck one dark almost black with very clear markings and the other more brown with less clear markings.

From my expereince the brown ones usualy grow bigger thicker horns.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
Re: Bushbuck Quest in 2005 [Re: SafariHunt]
      #37479 - 14/09/05 09:13 PM

Thanks guys for the nice comments on my bushbuck. Yes, I will have a shoulder mount done on the buck. I am quite proud of him.

Concerning the color of the coat, it seems Limpopo bushbuck, possibly others subspecies as well, can have a large variation in their color. The ewes I spotted in this area were very red or chestnut where the two rams that were spotted were very dark. Others have taken Limpopo bushbuck that they have shown me were redder then the one I took.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #37488 - 14/09/05 11:17 PM

BB

I believe the older bushbucks of the Limpopo species develop darker coats as they age.

Mature Chobe bushbucks keep a redder coat. At least from the half dozen plus Chobe's that I have seen in the flesh.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #37490 - 14/09/05 11:38 PM

Beautiful Bushbuck! Really nice colors on it. You done good!

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Bushbuck Quest in 2005 [Re: NitroX]
      #38810 - 06/10/05 07:53 PM

> I believe the older bushbucks of the Limpopo species develop darker coats as they age <

NitroX you are correct. I h've shot more than 60 bushbuck in the Northern Transvaal region (now unfortunately called Limpopo ), the darker the ram the older it was.

www.kapstadt.de/lemberg
HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 2133

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com