Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cape Buff

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
peteQLD
.275 member

Reged: 18/05/05
Cape Buff
      #33246 - 17/06/05 08:22 AM

Does anyone know where the best value Cape Buff safari is ?
What does one have to pay for a say 7 day hunt etc. ?
Cheers
Pete

--------------------
www.deersafari.bigpondhosting.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Cape Buff [Re: peteQLD]
      #33250 - 17/06/05 09:04 AM

Go to AR forums. There is a guy there that has a cancelled hunt and is trying to recoup some of his money.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cape Buff [Re: peteQLD]
      #33271 - 17/06/05 01:23 PM

Pete

What country or region were you looking at considering?

A Selous Tanzania 1x1 safari will cost between US$10,000 and $US15,000 for a 1 week hunt with all up costs. As a rough guide.

In Zimbabwe for a Zambezi 5 day to 7 day hunt for a Cape Buffalo hunt including trophy fee but not charter plan for around US$8,000 plus or minus.

These prices can be found cheaper or more expensive of course depending on the circumstances.

I love these posts that just say "Go to a different forum" and supply nothing else. Great!

This the "AR Forums" cheap hunt that the previous poster was referring to

Cheap Buff Hunt

The poster does not mention whom the outfitter is? Also is the hunt a 2x1 hunt with the poster or not? Is it truly the Selous or a surrounding area hunt? Which block? etc etc It is also for a fixed week this September.

For the price mentioned of $4300 including trophy fee I would be VERY careful. What isn't included as well in the fee as Tanzania has a lot of different charges? More so as the price sounds very much like a price that was discussed a month or so ago where the outfitter/website had photos pinched from another outfitters website.

If it is "on the square" however and maybe a desparate sale it is a great bargain.

PM sent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Cape Buff [Re: NitroX]
      #33295 - 17/06/05 07:31 PM

En respuesta a:

A Selous Tanzania 1x1 safari will cost between US$10,000 and $US15,000 for a 1 week hunt with all up costs....

With license for 2 buffalos

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Cape Buff [Re: 470Nitro]
      #33312 - 18/06/05 03:28 AM

John has given you an excellent answer and I'll add to it by saying there's a world of difference between the Selous Reserve and a buffer zone. You'll probably see more Buffalo in a day in the Selous than you'll see in a week in a buffer zone.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cape Buff [Re: shakari]
      #33316 - 18/06/05 04:04 AM

In reply to:

John has given you an excellent answer and I'll add to it by saying ....

Steve has been trying to educate me, but I am a slow learner.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Cape Buff [Re: NitroX]
      #33320 - 18/06/05 04:19 AM

Nitro

This was just off the top of my head before hitting the sack. Couldn't remember who, what, when, or where.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Cape Buff [Re: 475Guy]
      #33324 - 18/06/05 05:09 AM

Pete,

It also depends on what you mean by "best value" do you mean least expensive, best quality product & customer service etc etc.

Here's a few examples of what I mean.

The least expensive Buff hunts are probably to be found in Zimbabwe but that country has a lot of political problems which probably won't affect you directly but will effect you indirectly. For example a lot of hunters have problems exporting their trophies, there's a lot of people selling hunting on illegally seized land - and also there's the shortages of such essentials such as fuel, coke and worse of all BEER! - but if you feel you can cope with that and you book with the right company then there are some good buys out there. On some areas there's always the chance of being run off by so called war veterans.

Mozambique has good hunting, but it's also very tough hunting. The Buff are ultra twitchy compared to many other African countries and (IMO) success rates are considerably lower than most other African countries. I know of one concession up there that failed to shoot a single Buffalo in the entire 2004 season. If you go at the wrong time it's hotter than hell.

South Africa has pretty much 100% success rates on Buff and trophy quality is excellent, but it's very expensive and you'll be hunting out of small herds in fenced areas.

Tanzania has the most numerous Buff populations anywhere in Africa (according to the Frankfurt Zoological Society). If you hunt Selous you may well find yourself hunting into herds of 600 + and occasionally a lot bigger. 2 years ago I was hunting there with a Brit client and we stopped to film a herd of well over 1000.........BUT Tanzania isn't cheap. (Although in my opinion, it's the best) Success rates here probably average very close to 100% - However, the buffer zones are mostly a waste of time and every year some hunters end up being conned into hunting areas that are often charmingly described as something like "adjacent to the Selous"

Botswana has good Buff hunting in and around the Okavango. Trophy quality is good and camps are very luxurious - but due to the small quota's issued by the Botswana Govt, prices are very high and you are very limited as to what else you can take on the same hunt.

So the first thing you need to decide is what you mean by "best value" - but you need to remember that there's no such thing as a free lunch and good quality, good customer service, good areas & good staff etc all have to be paid for.... If price is your prime consideration (and there's nothing wrong with that) then you need to be aware that you'll need to be prepared to sacrifice a degree of quality in some of the things I've mentioned.......

All that said, many people rate Tanzania as the real Mecca of Buffalo hunting. - and I wouldn't disagree with 'em

Wherever you choose & whoever you choose to book with, beware of anything that looks too good to be true - because it probably will be. Africa has more thn it's fair share of con artists and amateurs etc.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (18/06/05 05:46 AM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Cape Buff [Re: shakari]
      #33330 - 18/06/05 12:26 PM

What about Zambia?

shakari
.400 member

Re: Cape Buff [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #33334 - 18/06/05 04:10 PM

Yup,

Zambia's another option, but as I've not hunted there my knowledge is more limited than the previously mentioned countries.

Some areas up there are fenced and some are true wilderness areas - If you're happy with a fenced area (I personally prefer TWAs) then Peter Bird/Balla Balla offer a good quality operation. I've not been to his Zambia camp but I do know it by reputation. I first came across Peter umpteen years ago when I hunted his SA area and can tell you he's also one of the "Good Guys" and 100% reliable.........

I believe the TWAs have good Buff hunting but Zambia is known for it's habit of changing the rules/quotas etc at short notice and for that reason I'd be more inclined to go elsewhere - but as I said, I've not hunted there so perhaps you'll get more detailed advice from someone who has.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (18/06/05 04:12 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com