Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Morocco pictures

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Morocco pictures
      #33196 - 16/06/05 06:58 PM

Continuing the short series of photos from african countrys not often hunted in, here is a taste of Morocco:

From the Roman ruins in Voulibilis in northern Morocco

Eating dinner at the Djenne El Fna square in Marrakesh. This open square is filled with snake charmers, food stalls, and pickpockets. It can seem quite caotic with the large amount of people and noise. It was a fun place to hang out for a couple of days.

Overnighting on the beach in southern Western Sahara. As most of the garbage in Morocco is dumped at sea, a lot of it, especially plastic bottles float down south to Western Saharan beaches...

Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, built for the 60th birthday of former Moroccan king Hassan II, is the largest religious monument in the world after Mecca. It has space for 25,000 worshippers inside and another 80,000 outside. The 210-meter minaret is the tallest in the world and is visible day and night for miles around. The mosque cost around US$800 million to build, and 10.000 workers worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 years to complete it! Due to it's high building cost, and the fact that they had to knock down a large slum without compensating those who were evicted to make room for the mosque, it is actually resented by quite a lot of Moroccans.

Inside Hassan II mosque

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Re: Morocco pictures [Re: EricD]
      #33197 - 16/06/05 06:59 PM

The tannery in Fez. The hides are put into the various vats which are filled with a mix of animal urin and dyes to color them. For example, to make white leather, pigion droppings are used to color the leather. Due to the heat, it's a smelly experiance.

Drying the leather after coloring:

A grumpy old man spinning wool in Fez:

This picture was taken just before the unmarked minefield deviding Western Sahara and Mauritania. This was a bit tense at the time, as the wind had shifted sand over some of the sandy tracks we followed thru the minefield. Thus, we had to make a few detours around some large dunes that were in the way while trying to keep an eye out for any landmines that had been exposed by the wind. A few burnt out wrecks were here and there from some drivers who weren't so lucky... In the near future, a real road with tarmac will be opened connecting the two countrys. It was being built at the time when we crossed, and we happend upon it by chance. The funny thing was that we were quickly chased off the tarmac by the military who was guarding it. So it was back onto the sandy tracks with the unwanted possibility of encountering a landmine...

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #33217 - 16/06/05 11:55 PM

ErikD:

Some great pictures, my friend! And the stories to boot.

I love the pictures of the tannery. My wife and I are big fans of the American TV show "The Amazing Race." It is a race were teams of two people race around the world and have to do "tasks" in different countries. On one race a few years back, the teams had to search through the tanning pits (that you visited) to find the clue that will point them to their next location.

Great stuff!

Where is your next adventure? I'll be driving around the Austrian Country side in about a month.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

EricD
.416 member

Re: Morocco pictures [Re: clark7781]
      #33241 - 17/06/05 05:05 AM

Clark,

With an 11 month old baby in the house now (and a new one on the way, due to arrive in the end of january!), the long adventures will have to be put on the backburner for a few years.

Thus, my upcoming short adventure will be a tuskless cow elephant hunt in Chewore North, Zimbabwe. I'm flying down there in 1 week.

Erik

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #33270 - 17/06/05 01:22 PM

Thanks for those pictures. Reminds me of when I was stationed there (Kenitra).

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #33306 - 18/06/05 12:09 AM

Very nice photos. My wife and I visited Morocco perhaps 20 years ago, and although quite exotic, neither of us ever felt very comfortable there. It seems like we were always looking over our shoulders.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1580

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com