Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elephant Charges II

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Peter_V
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/03
Loc: southern Africa
Elephant Charges II
      #31914 - 24/05/05 09:38 PM

Erik's post on elephant charges and specifically his quest to build an "ele high" target was all the motivation needed to find some video footage to illustrate what he is trying to emulate.

Follow this link to view a short clip taken from a close range Elephant hunt;

http://www.africanhuntersguild.com/video.asp

Erik - hope this helps some

--------------------
Peter V

www.africanhuntersguild.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: Peter_V]
      #31928 - 25/05/05 12:32 AM

Peter V, very nice film clip. By shooting early as he did, this hunter preserved for himself enough time to work the bolt and take a second shot if it had been needed. A fellow using a double could theoretically permit the ele to get closer before pulling the trigger.

Also, the elephant had his ears spread, indicating it may have been a bluff charge? Who really knows if it is a bluff until the ele stops or turns away.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: 500grains]
      #31940 - 25/05/05 05:06 AM

500 Grains,

If you use the pause button quick enough I think you will see that the hunter is using a double rifle. You can catch enough when he moves to his left and remounts. Under the brim of his hat you can see the action and rib, rear sight...when the clip is in pause.

Not sure what he was doing looking down at his rifle when moving to his right after the shot, I don't think he reloaded his one fired chamber.

By the way I think the hunter and PH got switched in the description of the video. I know Butch Coaton, having met him here in DC this Jan. prior to the SCI show at a lunch sponsored by a regular client of his I happend to know. Butch is a Zimbabwe PH and he uses a 458wm, kinda like the PH in the clip. I can't see his face for a sure ID but it looks to be Butch as PH. The hunter must be the fellow who is listed as the PH, a Mike Vogel. Checking the list of Zim PH's on this forum Butch shows up and Mike is missing.

Butch sent me an email offering a 10 day trophy bull ele hunt for $16000 all inclusive (but this was with Butch assuming that I would have been in Chewore and the hunt would have been in Dande so no charter issues) which would have esentially been an extension of my 16 day buff etc hunt with Roger Whittal. Roger Whittall is Butch's father-in-law. I think Butch hunts with Swainsons but I'm not sure my recollection is correct.

Not ten minutes ago I emailed Butch that I couldn't take the ele hunt. I'm not sure that was a good decision. What do you think and are you possibly intrested?

JPK

JPK
.375 member

Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: JPK]
      #31941 - 25/05/05 05:07 AM

Peter V,

Forgot to say thanks for the elephant and also the buffalo clips.

JPK

500grains
.416 member

#31944 - 25/05/05 05:51 AM

JPK,

Indeed you are right - that is a dbl rifle.

Thanks for the info about the ele. That is an excellent price as a client can get up to a 50 pounder in Dande. When $10K is deducted for the trophy fee, that is $600 per day to hunt trophy bull elephant.

Much as I would like to take advantage of this offer, I cannot as I already have an 18 day hunt scheduled with 6 ele on license (5 cows).

Speaking of Roger, just today my skulls and hides arrived from Zim. The taxidermist pulled the waterbuck skull out of the box and measured it at 31 1/4", which is the biggest waterbuck he has ever handled. To put it in perspective, this guy has been a taxidermist for 15 years specializing in African cats. He exhibits each year at SCI. The waterbuck was taken on Roger's portion of the Save conservancy.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #31945 - 25/05/05 06:01 AM

Peter,

Thanks for the video. Unfortunatly I'm having trouble veiwing it though...
Do you have a direct link to the movie?

Btw, I e-mailed you some of the info you were interested in.

Erik

JPK
.375 member

Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: EricD]
      #31946 - 25/05/05 06:46 AM

500Grains,

Great to hear of your trophys. As you know some of my 16 days will be spent on Roger's portion of the Save. Hoping I do as well. I'm already having second thoughts on the elephant.

JPK

500grains
.416 member

#31948 - 25/05/05 08:50 AM

JPK,

It's not too late on the ele! Just sell your wife's car to pay for it.

JPK
.375 member

Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: 500grains]
      #31964 - 25/05/05 01:15 PM

500Grains,

I'm realy having second thoughts and my wife has no objections (though taking the metro is out, besides she drives the bigger Jag which should be good for a couple of trophy bull hunts at Butch's price)

The only thing holding me back from shooting Butch another email is the issue of being gone for a whole month.

Also should mention that they got a 75lber this year too.

JPK

Edited by JPK (25/05/05 01:20 PM)

500grains
.416 member

#32021 - 26/05/05 05:37 AM

I wonder if the 75 pounder is a park ele in search of new territory after eating the park out of house and home. However, Dande is so big that probably none of the PH's have covered all of it, so the 75 pounder could have been there in a remote area all along without anyone's knowledge.

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #32107 - 27/05/05 02:15 AM

Based upon my limited experience, I wonder whether that was a serious charge, but the segment is so short, it is difficult to tell. Didn't seem the ele was running full out, but, hey, I wasn't there.

The guy knocked the ele down, which is the whole point, but obviously didn't brain it.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: Will]
      #32159 - 27/05/05 02:58 PM

Will

Are you saying it wasn't brained as the legs were still kicking?

I always find it amazing that guys can wait to see if the elephant will stop and it is a false charge in some cases. In this film the ele does seem to get quite close, would it be say 30 yards away when it falls?

edited: just re-watched it, yes the elephant may have stopped after clearing the tree to have a look at who was there. But if you are planning to shoot it anyway why not ...

Peter V

Do you know what calibre double rifle was used by the hunter? Also what type/maker?

To buy your DVDs is there an online store?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (27/05/05 03:21 PM)

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: NitroX]
      #32166 - 27/05/05 05:34 PM

NitroX,

Braining an elephant is just like braining anything else. They're dead, not maybe dead. There is some minor, momentary rear leg shaking somtimes but they are not flopping around as in the video.

I didn't mean to imply that from what I saw in the video I would not have been shooting too. Video gives you a distorted sense of distance and I imagine that it was closer than 30 yards. Even if it was in reality a bluff charge, you can only let them get so close. If they are close and the first (or second or third!) shot doesn't stop them, you're dead!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

JPK
.375 member

Re: Elephant Charges II [Re: Will]
      #32175 - 27/05/05 11:34 PM

I think they're hunting this elephant and intended to shoot it regardless. I take this from the fact that the PH is standing by with his rifle nowhere near the ready as would be the case be if they were encountering an elephant that they were trying to avoid but that was giving them trouble.

JPK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com