Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
GreenjoyTJ
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived!
      #31832 - 24/05/05 02:33 AM

It took about a 6 week wait but the first bolt action centerfire rifle I have every purchased has arrived!

I ordered a standard model (not from the custom shop) Winchester Model 70 Classic Safari Express in 375 H&H (poo-poo to the new short action stuff) .

I looked it over real good in the shop for the usual manufacturing goofs and saw no goof ups that are usually mentioned on this group.

I could not get my face low enough on the stock to perfectly align the iron sights. It's not sighted in so maybe theres some hope the sight will get close.
I new the stock fit prior to purchase so it not a big thing as I will be puting a scope on it.
I bought Weaver steel Grand Slam bases for this action and Burris 1" Signature ZEE rings ( those plastic ring inserts for the rings are a great Idea, there like a automotive johnny joint).

Now I just have to pick out a scope.
I have eye on a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36mm that looks like it will fit across the ring spacing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DeishuAK
.224 member

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Chilkat Peninsula, Alaska
Re: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived! [Re: GreenjoyTJ]
      #32038 - 26/05/05 08:37 AM

Greenjoy,
There's very few things in life that compare to opening the box and holding a new rifle. Glad to hear about your new purchase. You mentioned in the topic line, however, that it's a Super Express, but in your message you state it's a Safari Express. You did know there was a difference between the two models? At any rate, in your excitement you simply put one thing when you meant the other. But, tell me, is it a Super Express or Safari Express? I just ordered a Super Express in 458WM (used). The Bushnell scope choice is a good one. I had a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a 338 Win Mag I used for hunting in our harsh weather conditions here in SE AK and it performed flawlessly.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived! [Re: DeishuAK]
      #32040 - 26/05/05 08:47 AM

I'd look at a more classic scope for that there 375h&h. Maybe a Leupold 1.5x5 or a tasco titain 1.25-4.5. Something with a straight tube up front. That's what a classy safari style hunter needs.

The other thing is have you considered the steel 1 inch QR rigns from weaver, they work real well and you can take them off and try and get those iron sights figured out.

Having the QR feature is a handy little advantage when the chips are down.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #32070 - 26/05/05 02:31 PM

GreenjoyTJ

Congratulations on your new rifle. You mention that is it the first bolt action centrefire you have ever bought. Before this did you shoot lever actions or rimfires? Maybe borrowed rifles?

I ask this because if you have not shoot a big bore centrefire before the recoil of even a .375 will feel harsh. Use some padding when sighting it in. If you don't have a padded jacket fold a towel over two or three times and stick under your jacket. Even better even if it is not sighted in, shoot a couple of rounds just standing up. The recoil feels much worse when sighting in than standing up. Also take a much lighter recoiling rifle and shoot that AFTER your .375. Even if it is a .308 or .30-06 the recoil will then feel like a .22 rimfire.

Maybe you know all of this, but just in case. Also for any new shooters it may prove useful.

Unfortunately a stock has to be setup for either open sights or a scope, or in between. My guess is almost all your shooting would be done with a scope and that would be what the rifle is stocked for.

A good set of QD mounts is a nice way to go as well. I use Warne QDs.

The range of scope magnification you are looking at sounds perfect for a .375.

I don't know the mounts or scope you are discussing so can't comment. Lots of people like Leupolds and they have good service so that is the scope I would go for (actually I would go for a Swarovski if you can afford it but they are expensive).

Good luck with your new rifle. What is the first hunt you are planning with it? I think you will enjoy it. The Winchester Super Express is a very nice rifle and you have picked a wonderful classic calibre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

GreenjoyTJ
.224 member

Re: My Win M70 Classic Express Express 375H&H [Re: GreenjoyTJ]
      #32086 - 26/05/05 08:13 PM

Opps, I goof in the subject line. My new rifle is a Classic Safari Express ( this time I verified the name via the data on the rifle and on the end of the shipping carton.
The rifles I've shot in past have been Win 94 in 30-30 Marlin 336 in 35Rem.

But gun I have use the most is a shotgun (Win 1330 pump with a rifled barrel an cantaleaver scope mount 1.4-4.5x36mm Bushnell) I shoot a lot of sabot slugs.
I calculated the recoil from this shotgun with the high speed 12ga sabots I use, recoil is about 10LB more than the Classic Safari Express in 375H&H.

As for the scope I have my eye no, one of the reasons I like it (this is going to sound dumb) I like the way the size of the eye piece and the objective bell are about equal it gives the scope a balenced look. The scopes withe no objective bell look (to me) unfinished and visually off balence.

As for the scope mounts, thats the cheapest part of the package and the most easly changed. My inital concern was strength and a cheap way to avoid cutting rings in the new scope tube in case the rings don't line up perfectly
and I don't belive any ring set will line up perfectly unless the rings are reamed

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: My Win M70 Classic Express Express 375H&H [Re: GreenjoyTJ]
      #32091 - 26/05/05 10:38 PM

From what you had been shotting, to the recoil you will encounter with the .375, you'll be an addict just like me...

Next thing you know you'll take out a home equity line of credit and buy a bigger thumper...

God I hate guns (pun)...I can't have enough!

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: My Win M70 Classic Express Express 375H&H [Re: clark7781]
      #32115 - 27/05/05 04:25 AM

I second Clark7781 on the recoil, especially if your slug gun has the std low comb stock and not a high comb stock just for scope use.

The recoil of the 375H&H seems sharper but overall its less, also the stock shape will keep it from beating you up. My slug gun has the std type stock but with a lace on 1/2" or so comb and still beats the heck out of me. Sighting in often gives me a bloody nose, not so with the 375.

Congrats on your rifle!

JPK

Lefty
.224 member

Reged: 10/06/05
Loc: The Great Valley of Virginia
      #33096 - 15/06/05 05:55 AM

Yes, the new Winchester Model 70 Classic Safari Express in .375 H&H is a great rifle. What makes it even greater is that it comes in a left handed action. I put a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 on mine. Don't get much better than that.

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived! [Re: Lefty]
      #33097 - 15/06/05 07:08 AM

I too have a Winchester "Classic Safari Express" in .375H&H in a Left Hand. I am looking at putting a Leupold 1.5-5 on mine also but am undecided ,What made you pick this one over others?

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Lefty
.224 member

Reged: 10/06/05
Loc: The Great Valley of Virginia
Re: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived! [Re: RLI]
      #33104 - 15/06/05 11:09 AM

Steve,

I guess things like chosing a scope are always a bit subjective, and I'm certainly no expert on optics. I used to buy cheap scopes and have come to regret being so stingy on something as important as hunting optics. Now I am buying the best I can possibly afford. That doesn't mean that I buy the most expensive. I looked at lots of different brands of scopes, talked to other guys about what they had, and did some reading. Try "Optics for the Hunter" by John Barsness, published by Safari Press, if you can get a copy. I concluded from all this that Leupold scopes ranked right up there with Zeiss and Swarovski, particularly in terms of brightness, but cost less, for reasons that had nothing to do with quality. In one respect I think Leupold beats all of the ones I know of, and that is in eye relief. I have a friend who mounted a Swarovski on his .375 and is constantly getting wacked in the eyebrow because there isn't enough eye relief. That ain't no fun. With the Leupold there is plenty of eye relief. Hope this helps.
Lefty

GreenjoyTJ
.224 member

Re: My Win M70 Super Express 375H&H has arrived! [Re: RLI]
      #33166 - 16/06/05 09:31 AM

RLI writes:
"I too have a Winchester "Classic Safari Express" in .375H&H in a Left Hand. I am looking at putting a Leupold 1.5-5 on mine also but am undecided ,What made you pick this one over others"?

My choice of scope for my Win M70 Super Express 375H&H is based on several factors, it allways come down to personal choice but here are my thoughts on my choice.

1) Value - there are lots cheaper scopes on the market but I thought that features offered by this model (Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5x36mm) represented excellent value. Its the top line scope from a high-middle scope company.

2) Magnification - not many scopes actually have 4x magnification (1.5x4=6).

3) Magnification range 1.5x6 perfect for anything.

4) Strong- it's got a aluminum and titanium alloy tube, I thought it might be stronger that just an aluminum.

5) It can take a pounding - the bushnell webs site brags on how this model has been tested to ten thousand rounds of 375H&H. That struck a chord in my psyche! Hopefully it will keep its zero after such pounding only time will tell.

6) Matte finish- matches the finish on the rifle well.

7) I like the over all balanced look of the scopes eyebox and objective bell. The smaller objective bell translates to lower mounting.

I could not find another scope that was its equal without paying more or loosing some feature that was important to me.
Leupold scopes are fine maybe even the best but for the extra dought to purchase, and then get the same features/quality, no thanks. Leupold just bugs, me too many models, many that seem to me to me obsolete designs.

Super high end scopes I believe there is a dimishing law of returns at work here. You could pay thousand for a scope but I doubt you get a scope that is that many percentages better. I won't put a 50$ sadle on a 2$ horse or a $1,500 and up scope on a rifle that cost only $1,100.

docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #33260 - 17/06/05 12:03 PM

I "thinned out" my collection this last winter. One that went out the door was a left-hand Classic Safari Model 70 in 375 H&H. I had never hunted with it, and don't have any hunts in the near future that would have required it, but I still feel kind of sad that I don't have it "just in case". I got $800 for it.....

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #33450 - 20/06/05 03:17 PM

Ha. Having had $2 saddles and $100 saddles, I'd put the $100 saddle on the horse no matter what it was worth!

There is a BIG difference between Leupold and the Euro scopes. The eyepiece on the Leupolds is much shorter, allowing it to be mounted further forward, lessening the chance of getting smacked.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4596

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com