Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: John Taylor thread

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
John Taylor thread
      #31403 - 18/05/05 01:42 PM

I think I may have deleted the John Taylor thread by mistake. Sorry. I was trying to delete a post with a photograph of someone I do not want discussed here and hit the wrong ffffing button! I don't have much practice deleting posts, only one or twice.

Sorry, but I lost some info I wanted as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: John Taylor thread [Re: NitroX]
      #31415 - 18/05/05 03:42 PM

To be frank, I am pleased no to see this thread any longer.
The alleged homosexuality of Mr Pondoro was disturbing.
In fact what is interessant is the life, the studies and the books, his whole useful work.
Whatever sexuality is no interesting fact.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: John Taylor thread [Re: larcher]
      #31431 - 18/05/05 11:26 PM

I didn't read Capstick's book on Taylor when I learned that this subject was a substantial part of it. I just wasn't interested. I read his Wally Johnson book and thought it was good. The thing that intrigues me about Taylor is that he found himself stuck in England and could not get back to Africa. Was he banned? Were his finances that poor? I'd think that after such a life he would have done anything in his power to get back to Africa.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: John Taylor thread [Re: Plains99]
      #31444 - 19/05/05 02:19 AM

Plains99

I think in his elderly days John Taylor was not wealthy.

Plains99 and Larcher

I was interested to read John Dawkin's book about hunting with Taylor.

It appears John Dawkin would use his licence and also Taylor's to hunt elephants for ivory. With the ivory sale revenues being divided. Taylor would often join up with Dawkins and his wife on safari. By this time Taylor was getting on a bit and he liked the younger hunter being able to help harvest some ivory.

Taylor also visited John Dawkin's property in South Australia one or two times. He also reviewed Dawkin's book.

I too think the positives of this gentleman's life are better to discuss than the other aspects. My original, now lost post was really a research attempt by me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #31448 - 19/05/05 03:05 AM

I read Capstick's "A Man Called Lion" and enjoyed it. (But I didn't enjoy Captick's book about Meinertzhagen nearly as much.) Here's the description of the "A Man Called Lion" from Safari Press:

"John Taylor is well known to just about anybody interested in firearms or African hunting. This is the first complete biography of this very controversial character, written by Peter H. Capstick with research by Brian Marsh, a longtime Taylor acquaintance. Capstick tracks the life of this enigmatic figure from his early days in Ireland to the day he left Nyasaland in disgrace and in fear of arrest some forty years later. Also included are his wretched, depressing final years in London. Nothing is held back--whether it be his smuggling affair in Canada, ivory poaching, refusal to pay his bills, his tall tales and impressive escapes, or his homosexuality. This is Capstick at his very best on one of Africa’s most intriguing characters."

I got the impression, when reading the book, that most of the research was probably done by Brian Marsh. (If I recall correctly, I believe Brian Marsh was/is a well respected PH with a lot of experience.) It seemed to me to be more of Brian Marsh's book than Capstick's. I got the feeling that Capstick was listed as the author in order to make the book more sellable. Maybe Safari Press (or whomever) felt that Captick's name was more well known than Brian Marsh. I don't have any information to substantiate that but it is the impression I got while reading the book.

Anyway, to each his own, but I did find the book interesting and informative.

BTW: Brian Marsh's novel "The Last Trophy" is an enjoyable read.

Just my two cents worth....
-Bob F.

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #31467 - 19/05/05 06:22 AM

What is the name of the Dawkin book? I ran a search on this author on Amazon and could not get a match. I'd like to read this perspective.

wynwood1
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/05
Loc: AK1/2 yr, Pa 1/2 yr in the Lan...
      #31475 - 19/05/05 09:05 AM

Call me odd or strange but I really don't give a good GD if the guy was a homosexual or not. Don't figure it's any of my business anyway. I doubt he'd want to know about my own sexual tastes.
But he was more knowledgble about Africa hunting and it's firearms than I'll ever be, an that's what I do admire about him.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: John Taylor thread [Re: wynwood1]
      #31480 - 19/05/05 01:31 PM

In reply to:

. I doubt he'd want to know about my own sexual tastes.

Good call. I would guess that would apply to us also.

On Taylor. I have copies of a bunch of letters between him and Alexander Maitland when Taylor was in England.
Alex was a young man who dreamed of Africa and Taylor was old and sad, broke and living on his past rememberances. Alex family had some money and no doubt Taylor hoped they would help financially. They talk of Safaris in Chad, on the Bar al Auok where Taylor thought the big elephants still roamed.

"Let's build a boat and we'll sail up the river, shooting and living the Grand Life".

I think Taylor was living an Old Man's Dream. That of one last Safari, one last Hunt. Too bad he was never able to make it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#31484 - 19/05/05 01:41 PM

The book is "Rogues and Marauders" by John Dawkins. Published by Trophy Room Books & Rowland Ward.

I believe it is out of print.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #31519 - 19/05/05 06:31 PM

We KNOW it is out of print. Want to run me a photo copy????? Please????

It would seem that Taylor lived hand to mouth in Africa, and when booted out, and without a pension, who was not going to die in destitution in his day?

All his so-called acquaintences (claimed by thousands nowadays) were few and far between then, eh?

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #31530 - 19/05/05 10:17 PM

Quote Bob F. “I read Capstick's "A Man Called Lion" and enjoyed it. (But I didn't enjoy Captick's book about Meinertzhagen nearly as much.) Here's the description of the "A Man Called Lion" from Safari Press:
I got the impression, when reading the book, that most of the research was probably done by Brian Marsh. I got the feeling that Capstick was listed as the author in order to make the book more sellable. Maybe Safari Press (or whomever) felt that Captick's name was more well known than Brian Marsh”
Bob, You cannot be more right. It’s exactly my impression.
The same with Meinertzhagen “the Warrior”. God how I can loath this guy, the archetype of the squarehead.
And to remain obnoxious I regretted to have bought “ The wheel of life “ of Bunny Alen.

Alan Marsh : “A pioneering Hunter” his last book.
Dawkins, John Rogues and Marauders used is not cheap, look at Tomfolio.com :

50. Dawkins, John Rogues and Marauders Publisher: Roland Ward at Holland & Holland London. 1990. VG : in Very good condition with VG dustwrapper. .In clear protective wraps Limited Edition facsimile copy 30/775 grey hardback cloth cover B/w photographic illustrations 230mm x 150mm (9" x 6") Scarce limited edition facsimile reprint of original 1967 edition originally published by Robert Hale.
Appr.: | AUD 168.21 | CAD 161.82 | EUR 101.46 | GBP 68.00 | JPY 13,746.24 | ZAR 819.49 |

Purchase direct from: Barter Books. Item number: j1992.
US$127.84

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: John Taylor thread [Re: larcher]
      #31537 - 20/05/05 01:21 AM

When looking for my copy I came across one for around A$200 or A$300. Found my copy for maybe A$80.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2274

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com