Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Zim to lure back farmers ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Zim to lure back farmers ?
      #30459 - 04/05/05 12:26 AM

From Zim Online (SA), 3 May, 2005

Zimbabwe to pay white farmers, lure others back

Harare - The Zimbabwe government has secretly approached former owners of Kondozi farm to return and resuscitate the giant export-earning horticultural concern in what insiders said was part of a wider plan to recall expelled white farmers to revive the country’s collapsed agricultural sector. Impeccable sources said under the plan the Ministry of Agriculture will in coming months approach selected farmers, especially those with expertise in horticulture, tobacco and dairy production to ask them to return to Zimbabwe to farm. The farmers will be compensated for property and equipment destroyed during the government’s chaotic and often violent land reform exercise and not for loss of revenue. But the farmers will receive immense support and preferential treatment from the state to reestablish themselves on the land, according to the sources. As well as luring white farmers back to the land the government shall also select another group of farmers whom it will compensate at market value both for loss of land and equipment during the farm seizures. The sources said the two-pronged strategy was meant to portray the government as committed to reviving the mainstay agriculture sector as well as to paying fair compensation to white farmers in a bid to pave way for reengagement with the international community.

"Kondozi is only the beginning," said a senior Agricultural Ministry official, who did not want to be named. He added: "we will target two groups of farmers, the first will be lured back to resume farming while the second will be paid real market level compensation to demonstrate to all that the government is willing to compensate white farmers, resources permitting." Agriculture Minister Joseph Made refused to discuss the matter when contacted only saying "I do not know about that," before slamming the phone down. Neither Moyo nor the De Klerks could be reached for comment on the matter. But sources said the government’s overtures had so far yielded little with for example the former owners of Kondozi refusing to return to Zimbabwe because they have already established a similar venture in neighbouring Zambia. Dozens of white farmers chased from Zimbabwe settled in Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, with some as far afield as Australia and Nigeria and are unlikely to easily give up their new homes to return to Zimbabwe. Agriculture has plummeted since the farm seizure with production of tobacco, the country’s biggest single foreign currency earner, falling from more than 200 million kg in the 1999/2000 season to a merger 60 million kg this year. Food production fell by more than 60 percent with Zimbabwe, which once exported food surplus to neighboring countries, now surviving on handouts from international food agencies. About four million or a quarter of the country’s 12 million people could starve this year unless donor groups chip in with food aid.

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Zim to lure back farmers ? [Re: News]
      #30517 - 04/05/05 10:51 PM

Ain't that about a major load of crap! Once the whites have revitalized the land, the communists will just evict them all over again. In this day and age, when someone says, "I'm African", the perception is almost always that the person is BLACK. "Africa for Africans" is still a policy that is ongoing. I pity the guys that get suckered into this shitstorm.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Zim to lure back farmers ? [Re: 475Guy]
      #30535 - 05/05/05 05:16 AM

when I was in zim in march there was some talk of this, but nobody believed any of it. According to the people there, there probably are some of the white farmers who would come back given some sort of guarantees, but the problem is that none would believe any guarantee from uncle bob & his crew. Perhaps the worst part is that it seems as the ministers etc. all want uncle bob to stay put, so he can be a scapegoat for their doings.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Zim to lure back farmers ? [Re: butchloc]
      #30573 - 05/05/05 06:08 PM

Let the bloody bastards rot in their own sh*thole.I see to many white Zimbabs here in SA looking for work.It is heart breaking to see the look in the mans eyes who is standing infront of you begging for any job who was a strong and growing farmer a couple months or years ago.Lucky these gentleman are willing to stand up and work to support their familys and not lie down and die.Here in SA we help them uot as far as we can.Let Zimbabwe be Zimbabwe and let them cry and suffer as they made those suffer who carried them all these years.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Zim to lure back farmers ? [Re: Bigfive]
      #30751 - 08/05/05 04:25 PM

The word luring is quite daunting. My pipe dream involves the farmers getting together as a collective, and tell the Zim gov't to wire the money to an offshore account. Once it is there, split it up and continue their new lives.

Is anyone close to G.B. Jr? Tell him the place is seeping with oil.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1527

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com