Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Re Bullet choice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
MaineWoods
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/05
Loc: Maine USA
Re Bullet choice
      #29645 - 18/04/05 04:41 AM

Hey all going on plains game hunt in 2006 I will be shooting a 30-06 I am going to experiment with all the usual suspects in premium bullets ( Barnes, swift , nosler, ect. My gun is a model 70. What have you folks used and been happy with or recomend? Thaks John.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: MaineWoods]
      #29651 - 18/04/05 06:05 AM

My first choice would be North Fork.

www.northforkbullets.com

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #29657 - 18/04/05 08:50 AM

To 500's point - I shoot woodleighs, some hornadays (low-budget bullets) and the NF Cup Points.

The bad news is that they don't regulate in my DR. The worse news is they are the most accurate bullets ever shot out of my DR!

In trying to regulate them, I've consistently gotten 1&1/2 or less groups (open sighted at 50-yards). That's with BOTH barrels, two groups, both under the 1.5" mark... Trouble is, the two groups are 5" apart and I can't get them to come together.

They are also more accurate than woodleighs out of my bolt gun. So, I'll be shooting the woodleighs in my DR this year in Zim, and the NF cup points in my bolt gun (wishing they regulated in my DR!)

The point of all that is that the NF cup points are the most accurate big bore bullets I've ever used. They should work very well in your 30-06.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

terry
.224 member

Reged: 12/04/05
Loc: Pa. USA
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: new_guy]
      #29658 - 18/04/05 09:03 AM

Maine any bullet you'd use on a Maine moose will work for any plains game including an eland.
Zebra,eland,gemsbok are tough animals no getting around it but they are on a level with moose/elk not "caped crusaders" flying from the tops of buildings and such.
My first trip to RSA I bought a new rifle ( 300 Win mag) handloaded heavy bullets (200gr) of the finest construction,etc. and killed everything I shot at from 25 to 300 yds with 1 shot. But so did my partner with his 270 and factory loaded 140 gr bullets.....go figure????????
If you enjoy reloading and have the time it is always fun to work up "just the right load" for your safari. But like I mentioned a zebra or eland is tough but none more than a moose.
Where are you hunting and with whom?

--------------------
USMC Strength and Honor

MaineWoods
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/05
Loc: Maine USA
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: terry]
      #29662 - 18/04/05 11:54 AM

Thanks to all Hi Terry I see you have seen this post before , yes I used plain old 200 GR.Serria round nose on Moose with a one shot kill. moose hair and hide combined are quite thick. Seems like most or all critters are venerable to good bullet placement and a good quailty bullet. I must say I will look into the North Fork bullets. The 760 30-06 I shot moose ( and many whitetail!) really liked 200GR pills Ill see what the model 70 likes. Yhe outfitter is Xomaqua PH is Stephen Barber. Limpopo valley area. Thanks John.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #29699 - 19/04/05 12:38 AM

All of the bullets you mention have their merits. For what it's worth though, I'm not a big fan of the Swift A-Frame. They really do hold together, and recovered bullets look just like the ones in their ads. The problem I have with them, in my experience, is the mushroom is just too perfect and smooth, which IMO restricts the amount of internal damage and bleeding. I prefer a bullet that mushrooms and has jagged edges that cut more, and produce a better blood trail. I've had minimal blood trails with the Swifts.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #29713 - 19/04/05 05:39 AM

I shoot Nosler 220gr Partitions for Africa. Have taken almost all the plains game the last 8 years with this bullet in my 30-06 Mdl 70. I have no hesitation at all using this combination and my success has been no lost game with it. A couple of years ago I took a 5"+ Duiker at 25 yds and a Blue Wildebeest at 250+ yds. Next to the 375 It's my favorite for Africa.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: zimhunter]
      #29714 - 19/04/05 07:47 AM

That 220 grain Partition is an excellent choice for any of the .30 calibers. Most P.H.s like a heavy for caliber bullet because the higher sectional density associated with them give tremendous penetration.

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #29787 - 20/04/05 01:16 PM

Barnes X 165gn out of a downloaded 300 Weatherby worked for me - 7 one shot kills out of 8 animals - I mucked up one shot.

I now use Woodleighs because of cost (in Oz) and availability - I get tired of working up loads and then finding I can't obtain either the powder or projectiles. Excellent performance on pigs and lots of goats (which are impala, bushbuck, reedbuck, lechwe,puku sized where I hunt).

mike

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #29803 - 20/04/05 09:35 PM

MaineWoods,

Where will you be hunting large open flat areas long distance shooting in other words, or bushveld where shots are rarely out to 150 meters.

Long range a 165 gr barnes X would work great while in bushveld the heavier the better.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: SafariHunt]
      #30189 - 28/04/05 08:32 PM

BARNES-X.
Don't load them to slow because they need good velocity to expand fully.Here in RSA we don't have a very wide veriety of bullets to choose from and having special bullets inported is very expensive.We do have Barnes and Nosler and Hornady etc.I absolutely support Barnes-X.You'll never go wrong with it.We also have a couple of local brands wich is very similar to barnes.Its called the rhino bullet ( www.rhinobullets.co.za ) and GS CUSTOM (www.gscustom.co.za ) and then we have other types of bullets such as Impala Bullets (impalabullets.co.za).
Have a look at them and when you are over here maybe ask your PH to get hold of a couple of each for you and run some tests when back home.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: Bigfive]
      #30206 - 29/04/05 03:12 AM

Big 5

Don't know if you've ever used Stewart Bullets made by Ken Stewart in Pietersburg but they're absolutely fantastic. Ken will even make bullets to your own profile design.

Let me know if you need his contact details.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

500grains
.416 member

Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: shakari]
      #30208 - 29/04/05 03:34 AM

Does Ken Stewart have a website?

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: 500grains]
      #30211 - 29/04/05 05:53 AM

I'm afraid not - Ken is one of the old school and doesn't even have e-mail. You can either phone or fax him or alternatively if you prefer e-mail just send it to me and I'll pass it onto him......I don't make any money out it and I do this because Ken is a good friend whom I greatly admire......funnily enough I'm seeing him tomorrow night on my way through to Botswana.

One of the best things about Ken's services is that he'll make a bullet to your own design and in fact that's exactly what he did me with my .500 when I wanted a mono with my own "flattish" round nose. He actually made me a selection of different profiles to try before I made my final decision.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

500grains
.416 member

#30214 - 29/04/05 08:52 AM

Steve,

Does Ken make .366" soft nose bullets? Weight and price?

Thanks!

Bigfive
Sponsor

#30239 - 29/04/05 04:13 PM

Shakari,
You wont believe this but Wednesday I was on the range with a couple of friends and the one guy told me about Mr Steward because I was wining about how difficult it is to get my 460WBY Cases.My friend told me that Ken actually made cases for his 450 but that he had lost the contact details so I was phoning all over the country to get hold of Ken.Please give me his details so that I can contact him.I'm in JHB.

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

Bigfive
Sponsor

#30241 - 29/04/05 04:43 PM

500Grains,
I spoke to Shakari on the phone this morning and he gave me the details for Ken.Phoned him and he can supply me with 20 460wby mag for wich I am very thankfull.I asked him about the .366 bullets for you.He told me that he has got a small variety ranging from 196gr to 325gr.If you could specify exactly what you want then I'll give Ken a ring again and get the prices for you.Feel free to email me directly on my email at dantri@kirschsa.co.za.

Cheers and have a nice day.

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#30248 - 29/04/05 10:48 PM

That's what makes this website so great. The members are always trying to help others out. Thanks Bigfive - I for one am glad you're here.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Re: Re Bullet choice [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #30440 - 03/05/05 04:54 PM

It's always a pleasure and thanks for the compliments.No use in keeping things and stuff and contacts to yourself.Always getting pleasure out of helping fellow hunters.

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #30746 - 08/05/05 02:32 PM

I have shot game with most all of the premium bullets out there today with the exception of Rhino bullets...

I like Woodleighs, Northfork, GS Customs, and Noslers and not in any particular order...There are so many good bullets out there today that it would be difficult to pick the best one...It would depend on what kind of performance I was looking for and what game I was shooting.

For an 06 I like the 180 gr. bullets as I think that is the bullet that fits an 06 best and still gives you plainsgame velocity and trajectory which can be quite far sometimes, In my 300 H&H I like the 200 and 220 gr. bullets...

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3473

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com