Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The all-round African rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The all-round African rifle
      #286891 - 24/08/16 11:28 PM

The all-round African rifle

Having put it through its paces on safari in Zambia, Derek Stimpson argues the case for the .450/400 Jeffery as the ultimate all-round calibre for African game.

Much has been written about the all-round rifle for Africa. For most people, that would be the .375 H&H, and with good reason. However, I'd like to go back to the early 1900s, before the .375 was introduced, and look at my own favourite all-round rifle for both plains and dangerous game.

Having hunted in the Luawata concession in the remarkable Luangwa valley in Zambia, we decided to return for another hunt. The Luawata concession lies between the North and South Luangwa National Parks and is run by two dedicated professional hunters of great experience. Our previous hunt had been with Athol Frylinck, but this time Athol was away and we were in the hands of his partner, Adrian Carr. Adrian, who grew up in Zambia, is the son of the late Norman Carr, the highly respected PH and conservationist.

Having previously hunted in the dry season – September/October – we decided to return in July for a different experience of the area. With much cooler weather – temperatures dropped to 12˚C at night and rose into the low 30s rather than the 40s – and with more water in the area, the game was more widely dispersed.

We had flown up directly by charter from Lusaka and, at breakfast the next morning, we were treated to the sight of elephants coming across to our side of the river in single-file – a spectacular start to our safari.

Once again, I had brought my Jeffery .450/400 x 3" double rifle no. 13111, built in 1903, which had previously been owned by the Marquis of Aylesbury, according to the crest on the oval. This is, in my view, the ideal double rifle. A strong boxlock ejector of high quality – one of those made for Jeffery by Leonard – it is fully engraved, very accurate and at 10lb is ideal to carry and comfortable to shoot. Its 24" barrels make it very handy when in thick bush and the balance is wonderful which makes quick and accurate shots possible. It can potentially handle any game and the 400gr bullet has good sectional density which gives the solid excellent penetration.

At some point a claw mounted telescope had been set into the rib and, incredibly, it still shoots accurately – muzzle-width apart at 50 yards, both with or without the scope. I had already shot buffalo with it and find that a telescopic sight certainly helps in thicker cover, even at very close quarters, allowing one to see more detail and achieve more precise shot placement. Of course, a scope also allows one to shoot at longer ranges – I had shot a blue wildebeest at 140 yards and a 4" group of four shots on a target at 200 yards. The drop was about 10".

After breakfast we set out in the usual way in the Land Cruiser looking for buffalo tracks. We learned from Adrian that some of the large old bulls, which will separate into small bachelor groups later in the year, might still be with or near the main herds.

On the first day we did see some buffalo, but nothing worth pursuing. On the second and third days, all buffalo seemingly disappeared! Plenty of game was seen, but not a buffalo in sight. On the fourth day, however, we had an interesting encounter with three old bulls. We attempted to follow them up a hill where numerous large black rocks proved quite a distraction – looking very like buffalo! However, the bulls were impossible to approach closely – the ground was difficult and they were very nervous. One of the trackers noticed that one appeared to be wounded, possibly caused by poachers or, more likely, villagers protecting their crops. Sadly, we could not find his tracks as there was no obvious blood trail.

It is worth mentioning that in this area one meets a lot of elephants. We had some rather tense encounters including one wonderful occasion when we stopped to let a group cross the track in front of us as they made their way down to the river. A number of bulls were wrestling with each other in the river next to us, their ivory crashing together loudly. It was a truly awesome sight.

Finally, on the fifth day, we spotted some buffalo feeding on the opposite bank of a dry riverbed and we were able to creep up the bank in front of them. We spotted two shootable bulls on the right-hand-side and, as we crawled up the bank, we came into full view of some cows we hadn't spotted, some 40 to 50 yards away. Very slowly, we sank back to our knees as I carefully raised the rifle. The two bulls slowly fed towards us until, after 10 minutes, they were directly in front of us. I waited until one was clear of the other and squeezed off a shot on his shoulder. As I did, I felt a small movement but, judging by the bull's reaction, Adrian felt confident that it was a good heart shot.

After five minutes we followed up and found that the bull had gone about 200 yards and was still on his feet with a companion beside him. The other bull was making a fuss, bellowing and crashing about the bush, but eventually moved off as we closed in. At 40 yards I could see his chest through the bush, so I put in a central lung shot which really went home. He ran another 30 yards before going down, expiring as we watched.

My instinct had been right; the slight wobble had put the first shot about three inches left of my point of aim. The bullet went through the chest cavity, slightly forward of the top of the heart, rupturing a lot of major blood vessels, so he wouldn't have gone far. On butchering the animal, we noticed the extensive damage to the lungs and Adrian noted that the 400gr bullet had caused greater damage than a .375 would typically have done. Bulls hit with a .375 high in the lungs have been lost – much less likely with the larger .400 calibre. It is also notable that many .375 users are now loading 350 grain bullets, or even heavier.

Following a successful buffalo hunt, we decided to use the remaining time we had to look for a bushbuck and a kudu.

Returning to camp the following day, a bushbuck suddenly ran across the track in front of us and into some thick cover. We stalked into the myriad of pathways through the thick undergrowth and, after half an hour, Adrian spotted the buck 85 yards away and slightly below us. It was looking straight at us, presenting a quartering shot. Adrian put the sticks down but could only get two legs of the tripod settled in the grass. I got straight on them and, as he held them steady, I squeezed off and the buck dropped. It was all over in two or three seconds.

The shot entered the lower neck and the 400gr soft point bullet ended up under the skin of the flank on the other side, having retained 80 per cent of its weight.

On the last day we spotted an old, lone kudu bull and stalked around in a circle to ambush him. He came across our front in some straggly bush at about 90 yards – and lay down! I was on the sticks ready, but we could only see his horns. At Adrian's suggestion, I slipped a solid into the right chamber as there was some thin brush in the way of the shot. We could not improve our position and to move without alerting him would have been difficult, so we waited – an hour and a half! When he finally stood up, he was broadside on and took a step forward. I squeezed the front trigger and the bullet hit him in the centre of the chest, putting him straight down. He was an old bull – one horn tip was worn down and healed lion claw scars were on his chest and algae growth on the backs of his ears. We kept the whole skin as well as the head.

So, with the .400 Jeffery I had shot, during four hunts in two countries: three buffalo, a warthog, a Kafue lechwe, a blue wildebeest, a bushbuck and a kudu. That is to say, a range of animals from small to large in size, and at distances varying from 30 to 140 yards. The effect of each of the shots was notable. The animals went down, or didn't go far, even in the case of the last buffalo. The buffalo that I shot on the previous visit to Zambia had been a one shot kill. The rifle is a comfortable weight to carry all day, and recoil is not particularly noticeable. It is without doubt an ideal calibre for buffalo and, if ever you have the misfortune of running into a problem elephant, with the .400 you are also reasonably well equipped.

I can see why the .450/400 would have been the all-round rifle in the early 1900s and, in my books, it still is.

The various .400 cartridges have remained classics in their own right. Jeffery's cartridge was introduced around 1900, the .404 in 1905, the .425 WR in 1909, and the .416 Rigby in 1911. In 2002 Holland & Holland introduced their own .400, based on their belted magnum case. Given the right weight and configuration of rifle, I believe they are all excellent and will handle any game.

http://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Rifles/the-all-round-african-rifle.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #286895 - 25/08/16 12:07 AM

Good read, story and info..

Agree with what is stated. think this caliber is one of the best,whether it is a 450/400 or any of the later introduced cartridges such as the .404 or .416 ..

Personally use and have used the .416 caliber on several African hunts..excellent performance on everything shot from tiny antelope to buffalo and elephant..shoots reasonably flat, hits hard and incredible penetration..not much more to be asked of a cartridge..I have several other rifles/calibers available for Africa but always seem to grab one of the .416's ..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #286941 - 25/08/16 04:08 PM

Quote:

Good read, story and info..

Agree with what is stated. think this caliber is one of the best,whether it is a 450/400 or any of the later introduced cartridges such as the .404 or .416 ..

Personally use and have used the .416 caliber on several African hunts..excellent performance on everything shot from tiny antelope to buffalo and elephant..shoots reasonably flat, hits hard and incredible penetration..not much more to be asked of a cartridge..I have several other rifles/calibers available for Africa but always seem to grab one of the .416's ..

Ripp

+1..............................although I have only been once

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #286943 - 25/08/16 04:59 PM

Why have a 375 when you can have a 400 ,and or a bolt 404

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: 500Boswell]
      #286958 - 25/08/16 08:50 PM

I still think the term "all-round" is important. And a 300 to 350gr .408 to .423 projectile is not an "all-round" medium game bullet.

The 400 or 410 gr projectiles are excellent for dangerous game especially buffalo though.

The .375 with its 200 to 235 gr bullets, or up to 270 gr bullets makes a reasonable choice for medium and plains game. Over powered in some cases, but still acceptable.

The 300 to 350 gr projectiles make good large and dangerous game choices.

Assuming loads could be made which regulate well enough. Otherwise for the lighter bullets, a single shot from one barrel approach could be used.

Recoil is also a factor. Every step up and the recoil increases and for some, accurate shooting decreaes.

For me a .375 Flanged double rifle with a proper choice of scope would make my dream desired all-around rifle for hunting most beasties throughout the world.

A .400 double rifle would be the next choice and a fine almost all-round rifle, a little more on the heavy side.

Just my thoughts on it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #286968 - 25/08/16 11:40 PM

NitroX makes a good case for the .375. I have used my Sako .375H&H with 300 grain Barnes TSX to take a warthog and an Impala. The impala went 50 yards after a textbook perfect "quartering to" heart/lung shot, and the warthog was a bang flop and didn't take a step. Meat damage was not extensive on either, thanks to the hard bullet and moderate velocity. I only carried the 300 grain bullets because this rifle was my backup rifle on a Buffalo hunt but the big slugs worked very well on the smaller game.

I don't think the .375 is at all overpowered for smaller medium sized game, and I believe it is quite effective, although one could argue for using something in one of the more pedestrian 30 calibers or less to great effect without having to deal with the recoil of the .375. On the flip side, the .375 will scale upward. Although I have not had opportunity to personally do it, I would feel comfortable with a .375 for broadside buffalo, as well as large moose, eland, etc.

IMHO the .375 offers compromise on both the small end of the scale as well as the large end of the scale. Is it perfect? Nope. All compromises are just that: a compromise. But the .375 is probably the very best compromise available to hunters in the past and today.

Edited by Postman (25/08/16 11:44 PM)

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Postman]
      #286987 - 26/08/16 08:04 AM

I love the 450-400 3" cartridge and I like my Chapuis SxS it's chambered in. I think it would be very limiting as a one rifle Batterry on Safari. I can't shoot it much past 150mm even with the Leopold VX6i scope. On smaller plains game I think it would be a real handicap. A 375 with a good scope is an easy 300m rifle.

I love to hunt with the the double but I Hate passing up taking great trophies at longer ranges just to be pure. The hunt comes first, the tool enhances the hunt for me but does not define it?

Just my 2 cents.

Life is not to short to hunt with an ugly rifle, if all you have access to is an ugly rifle go and enjoy the hunt anyways.

Of course a period SxS best sidelock does not hurt the experience .

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Postman
.375 member

Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Rell]
      #286996 - 26/08/16 11:13 AM

With my rather recent experience with a 450-400 I do believe it would be wonderful in a double!!! Not a 300 metre cartridge by any stretch though.

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Rell]
      #286997 - 26/08/16 11:26 AM

The all round Africa rifle, a 450-400? I'm not too sure I agree. There seems to be a myth that African animals are bullet proof, pretty sure they are not. Today 90% of your safari and 100% of most safaris would be plains game, a 30-06 or similar will tip all that over. Yes it would be nice to take a 450-400 and the romantics are there for sure. But lets be honest you would handicap yourself taking just a 450-400 double on safari.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: BillG500]
      #287024 - 27/08/16 03:45 AM

Quote:

The all round Africa rifle, a 450-400? I'm not too sure I agree. There seems to be a myth that African animals are bullet proof, pretty sure they are not. Today 90% of your safari and 100% of most safaris would be plains game, a 30-06 or similar will tip all that over. Yes it would be nice to take a 450-400 and the romantics are there for sure. But lets be honest you would handicap yourself taking just a 450-400 double on safari.

I find that increasingly it is hard to take as much weight in checked luggage as in the past and two rifles plus ammo is becoming more difficult. One trip the excess luggage to Africa cost more a fortune taking two double rifles, a 9.3x74R and a .450. Increasingly I may take only a single rifle and seek for it to do everything.

As I like doubles a .375 DR would be ideal provided I was confident it could be used for plains game accurately at great enough range. And confident the bigger stuff could be handled well.

For any elephant hunt, I much prefer a .450 and probably would take it and a second rifle for longer range shooting. I am not confident about longer shots with the .450. I should practice with it and seek to determine my and the rifles limitations at longer shots at paper. To be assured at what ranges consistent hits can be made on say a 12 inch circle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Postman
.375 member

#287031 - 27/08/16 06:01 AM

NitroX: the single safari rifle is something that I too am smitten with... When I ordered my bespoke Heym double, it was a .375 Flanged Magnum with a second barrel set in 450 3/4" Nitro Epress. I got a sturdy Pelican model 1700 high density foam shipping case and have cut it out so it holds the rifle and both barrel sets in a broken down state. The total weight, complete with two padlocks is 32 pounds.

As long as it's ok to bring ammo to the destination country in two different calibers for the one rifle, it would seem a great way to travel. The worry of having the wrong barrel on the rifle at the wrong time based on the game that one runs into is not too much of an issue as I see it. If hunting DG, I'd have the .450NE barrel set mounted on the action exclusively and I wouldn't be inclined to shoot any incidental game because I would be solely and strictly focused on Buffalo. Once the buffalo is in the salt, then I'd switch out to the .375 FL Mag barrels and focus on plains game. During North American hunts, I have the .375 FL Mag that gives me a bit more than point blank range, and is a caliber a bit more suited to North American game and assures that my double sees some good field use here at home.

Edited by Postman (27/08/16 10:18 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #287032 - 27/08/16 07:18 AM

Quote: I find that increasingly it is hard to take as much weight in checked luggage as in the past and two rifles plus ammo is becoming more difficult. One trip the excess luggage to Africa cost more a fortune taking two double rifles, a 9.3x74R and a .450. Increasingly I may take only a single rifle and seek for it to do everything. EQ

My last trip to Ireland with my usual airline being Emirates I had my first Ryan Air experience. This was a flight from Dublin to Skavsta airport at Stockholm.

A very reasonable return fare of 75 Euros ($106 AUD) with a carry on luggage allowance was I thought 'very good'. Then arriving at the check in desk my suitcase of 19.1 kilos in weight was charged at 75 Euros ...one way,on my return leg with the case I had to pay this again...yes unbelievable but true!

One adult $106 AUD return for the seat

One suitcase $212 AUD return for the same flight,I had heard of Ryan air previously but didnt expect THAT.

Two hunters flown return for the price of one suitcase.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #287033 - 27/08/16 07:29 AM

And yet if you had a giant fat guy sitting next to you weighing 180 kg he wouldn't have to pay any extra. Total bullshit.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #287044 - 27/08/16 02:57 PM

Quote:

And yet if you had a giant fat guy sitting next to you weighing 180 kg he wouldn't have to pay any extra. Total bullshit.

Waidmannsheil.

Especially as he is taking up half your seat.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#287050 - 27/08/16 04:48 PM

Quote:

My last trip to Ireland with my usual airline being Emirates I had my first Ryan Air experience. This was a flight from Dublin to Skavsta airport at Stockholm.

A very reasonable return fare of 75 Euros ($106 AUD) with a carry on luggage allowance was I thought 'very good'. Then arriving at the check in desk my suitcase of 19.1 kilos in weight was charged at 75 Euros ...one way,on my return leg with the case I had to pay this again...yes unbelievable but true!

One adult $106 AUD return for the seat

One suitcase $212 AUD return for the same flight,I had heard of Ryan air previously but didnt expect THAT.

Two hunters flown return for the price of one suitcase.

That's because the true fair for one person with luggage is > than $300, Ireland to Stockholm. Cheap at that price too. Some of the internal EU flights are expensive.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (27/08/16 06:31 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #287053 - 27/08/16 05:16 PM

My Irish cobber flew with carry on only..I got dudded ha ha.Still I had my shit with me instead of leaving it behind in Eire when I could have needed it.

Sort of when you are on a trip enjoy it without worrying that it is too expensive etc..I always order lobster!

Come home and complain!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#287055 - 27/08/16 06:40 PM

The cheapest ever EU flight I have had, was London to Madrid, and Barcelona to London, GBP75 return (was thinking it was A$ abut it can't have been). Madrid to Barcelona was GBP125 one way.

Last trip to EU, either Qantas or Lufthansa was tryng to charge A$1100 for Frankfurt to Oslo. After lots of comparisons got it down to a reasonable price, probably using crappy SAS (once was one of the best airlines) via Copehagen with an overnight stay from memory. That trip I did criss-cross Europe several times, Frankfurt to Naples, Naples to Brussels, Brussels to Lyon, Lyon to Frankfurt (or Brussels? or Copenhagen? - I forget), Copenhagen to Oslo. Stockholm to Helsinki, Helsinki to HK. HK to Sydney, Sydney to Adelaide! After setting off Adelaide to Singapore, had some fun with being arrested in Singapore !!! (never accidently lose a Nitro Express cartridge in your carry on bag when travelling in SE Asia ). Then to Frankfurt, Naples etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #287074 - 28/08/16 03:32 AM

My next double rifle will become a H&H in their in-house caliber .375 H&H Flanged. The most versatile caliber of them all.

My retirements il-mio-ultimo.

A nice one cost about $70000.

Edited by rigbymauser (28/08/16 03:36 AM)

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: rigbymauser]
      #287084 - 28/08/16 10:55 AM

Quote:

My next double rifle will become a H&H in their in-house caliber .375 H&H Flanged. The most versatile caliber of them all.

My retirements il-mio-ultimo.

A nice one cost about $70000.

Great choice!

Look forward to seeing it.

Postman
.375 member

Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Rockdoc]
      #287087 - 28/08/16 12:36 PM

I love the .375 FL Mag caliber! Mine has taken a red fox and lots of paper at the range, but has not been exercised on any larger game as yet. This year I will carry it during deer season and then again for caribou.... I do wish the caliber were much more popular / common so as to drive the price of brass & ammo down some. Took me a very long time to get ammo together. The rifle took a year from order to delivery and I had ammo on hand before the rifle arrived, but just barely.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #287114 - 29/08/16 12:09 AM

Quote:

NitroX: the single safari rifle is something that I too am smitten with... When I ordered my bespoke Heym double, it was a .375 Flanged Magnum with a second barrel set in 450 3/4" Nitro Epress. I got a sturdy Pelican model 1700 high density foam shipping case and have cut it out so it holds the rifle and both barrel sets in a broken down state. The total weight, complete with two padlocks is 32 pounds.

As long as it's ok to bring ammo to the destination country in two different calibers for the one rifle, it would seem a great way to travel. The worry of having the wrong barrel on the rifle at the wrong time based on the game that one runs into is not too much of an issue as I see it. If hunting DG, I'd have the .450NE barrel set mounted on the action exclusively and I wouldn't be inclined to shoot any incidental game because I would be solely and strictly focused on Buffalo. Once the buffalo is in the salt, then I'd switch out to the .375 FL Mag barrels and focus on plains game. During North American hunts, I have the .375 FL Mag that gives me a bit more than point blank range, and is a caliber a bit more suited to North American game and assures that my double sees some good field use here at home.

While not a double, the reasons you mention above it why I purchased a Blaser some time ago... I have a 300Win barrel and a 375H&H (just purchased) for it..have two quick detach mounts with scopes in each...feel I can hunt anything and anywhere in the world with that combo...plan to take it actually to Cameron in a few months...Pelican case it come in allows both barrels and scopes held snug for travel....

Pulled this off of the 'net--but very similar to this..

Used a Blaser in 300W when I was in Spain last fall and really enjoyed that rifle..unless I am going on a mtn hunt where weight is a huge consideration, I will probably continue to travel with this combo..If I go back again for buffalo will probably take a double, but still will bring the .375 along as well ..

Traveling with firearms has gotten more burdensome..weight restrictions, addl fees, airline ee idiots giving erroneous information on what you can or can't do, etc....in the end, I still like to have my own rifle that I am comfortable with and take a little pride in the game I take with my own hand loads. Having said that, if the outfitter does have nice firearms in camp I will leave mine at home..much much easier and quicker to travel without, IMHO.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (29/08/16 12:12 AM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #287159 - 30/08/16 02:23 AM

Maybe I am a minimalist as well as a traditionalist, but if I were to choose an "all-around" rifle for Africa (and most other places as well) it would be my Mauser in 375H&H, with 270 grain soft points and 300 grain solids.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: The all-round African rifle [Re: szihn]
      #287167 - 30/08/16 07:06 AM

First big bore i had was a 404 Jeff 31 years ago and would like to get another some day ,wish i had kept the one i had ,fed perfectly too which was good ,just a real good round that looks good too !

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3999

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com