Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: Tatume]
      #116838 - 13/10/08 03:43 PM

Tatu:

I think you are on to something.

Only time I REALLY think camo helps on deer is when I am rattling. Bucks come in looking for a fight and anything that makes the rattler disappear into the landscape is a plus. Since they are already looking AT you, outline distortion/breakup and any melting into the background is a plus. Seconds count then.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116851 - 13/10/08 09:45 PM

As a side note regarding colors and camo, when I was out hunting moose yesterday, I was acting as the doghandler. Therfore I was wearing a red fleece jacket, with a "hunting orange" vest, in addition to an orange cap on my head. Just so that none of the hunters sitting at various posts could mistake me for a moose.

Our dog Jega had found a cow with a calf, and was baying at them a few hundred meters away from my location. I silently moved towards them, and eventually was between 10-15 meters away from them. As there were several trees in the way, I was unable to get off a shot, in addition to the calv being right next to the cows side the whole time. So no clear shot was possible. After a few minutes the cow suddenly moved a few meters to the right, exposing me (I was kneeling with the rifle pointing at them). I held perfectly still, and it was clear that the cow was wondering what I was, and waiting to see if I moved. I didn't. Thus, it ended up with the cow moving a few more meters to the side, but not being spooked by me! The dog moved with them, and eventually the cow and calf moved down the hill towards a waiting hunter who was able to shoot the calf. What I find interesting though is that the moose cow did not recognize me as human even though I was at that time only 10 or so meters away, with it looking straight at me. And with enough orange and red on me for anybody to see me from a very long distance. So clearly, certain colors are not visible to these herbivores, even though our logic tells us that they would run at first sight of an orange clad man.

Ps. it is my experience that moose see movement very well when looking at you from the side. In other words, it may appear that the moose is staring in another direction, but it is in fact looking at you to see if there is any movement.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: EricD]
      #116856 - 13/10/08 10:41 PM

Quote:

Ps. it is my experience that moose see movement very well when looking at you from the side. In other words, it may appear that the moose is staring in another direction, but it is in fact looking at you to see if there is any movement.

I wish I could draw the circle of peripheral vision I've seen pertaining to large ungulates, but in general, it is far larger than what we see. Again, tagging on to Tatume, prey species are different to predators. Prey sees all-around, while predators generally see directly ahead.

Also from yesterday:

I and my son were still hunting {ErikD, "smygjakt" på svensk I think, not sure norsk...?} and for a time I was on a trail recently opened up by loggers.

I was wearing a orange fleece vest over a camo coat {German surplus, a great match for our area for turkey, etc, and I buy them by the boxful as they are cheap and we wear them for chores around the ranch}.

Anyway, I rounded a little bend very quietly and there jumped up a whitetail. It bolted for about 10 steps and stopped, turning around to see what spooked it. It was screened by pine boughs, so I moved around the branches and there it stood in a little opening, and there I stood in the open as well.

I had my rifle on the animal and was momentarily confused. I thought it was a doe, then realized it was a spike buck, but only had one spike. The other was broken off. It was only 20 to 25 yards away, very close, and an easy shot. I held for a long time on the animal, placing the crosshairs here and there, and then got tired and whispered "Bang, You're Dead". I did not want this buck so I brought the rifle down and then kept walking. The buck trotted off.

OK, now, clearly this rascal saw me. He looked right at me for quite some time and was as I say, not more than 25 yards away. Wind was against him, but he saw movement and ME clearly. How come he didn't bolt? Who knows. I've shot a number of spikes and does under similar conditions, but very few big bucks that way as if they jump they typically keep going into cover. Maybe the spikes are just stupid...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: EricD]
      #116857 - 13/10/08 10:41 PM

I would say that movement is the biggest give away. Erik also you were in a kneeling position not normal standing position like a human. You will find when doing a game drive the animals are use to vehicles but as soon as you climb out they run away seeing a human form standing upright.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: SafariHunt]
      #116858 - 13/10/08 10:44 PM

One form of camo that seems to really fool anything is snow camo. White against white completely obliterates the ability of animals to identify the wearer. In winter, on my daily skiing and snowshoeing, I routinely walk up to game and they can be seen to strain to see me. They don't know what it is. Very effective against coyotes, too.

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116865 - 13/10/08 11:58 PM

Is there much snow in SA? I think snowcamo would be legal there wouldnt it?
If not the spraypainters should be careful when shoosing there overalls.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 450_366]
      #116882 - 14/10/08 05:11 AM

Quote:

Is there much snow in SA? I think snowcamo would be legal there wouldnt it?
If not the spraypainters should be careful when shoosing there overalls.

Wasn't really referring to SA, but now that you mention it, we got snow in the Karkloof Mountains and I know it snows in the Drakensberg.

Here's a stretch...

Anybody ever hunted in snow in RSA?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com