Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters
      #266851 - 23/06/15 05:09 AM

Thought this would be an interesting discussion for this forum...thoughts??

Ripp

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunt...=NTgyMTUxNjIwS0

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: Ripp]
      #266854 - 23/06/15 07:16 AM

Good article

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: DarylS]
      #266860 - 23/06/15 10:34 AM

One would think that no matter how good a white guide is at "game supplying" he surely owes so much to his retinue of native employees and with their collective wisdom...who better to be a guide than a born and bred bush man.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: gryphon]
      #266872 - 23/06/15 12:29 PM

Quote:

who better to be a guide than a born and bred bush man.

Agree.

Whatever color he (or she) might be.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: Cazadero]
      #266886 - 23/06/15 05:43 PM

Gryphon, you nailed it I reckon - then Cazadero went one better!
Great article Ripp!
Results will always speak for themselves.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: 93x64mm]
      #266938 - 24/06/15 10:32 PM

My opinion is slightly different. To begin with, a white PH raised in the bush and speaking dialects is at the same level than the black helpers. My experience in CAR proved it.
In CAR the PH was also the camp manager and the master after God. Very strict, and very playful when breaks where needed. He was marginally dependent on his helpers. At the same time my cousin Luc had a black PH. This guy was an accomplished bushman. Wasn’t strict but dictatorial with the helpers and never joked with them. His talents were incredible but for a couple of reasons. He wanted to do better than his white boss. Always hunting in faraway zones and taking lots of risks as skirting the green inferno at halitosis distance of eles and buffs that they can’t even see. He was looking only for good trophies and didn’t care about risky shots or error on sexing the game. At the last moment he wasn’t directive, letting my cousin opt for the better option. The white PH was cautious first, either with zones not too far from trails for a safe return or close approaches for asserting the game and allowing an accurate shot.
In Burkina we both hunted with black teams. These guys were absolute bushmen and know the game, their habits and the various moments of the day for tracking each game. But they could be lazy when finishing a hangover. Always ready for dangerous pranks like pissing ele cows (when on foot) or trying to snatch a game from a dining lion. When motived by an angry camp manager they can do miracles in no time. But once again, they didn’t care at what distance one may shoot, and also were sort of dominated by the white, letting the hunter decide at the shooting moment, without considering distance, vegetation, sometimes trophy quality. The white client remains the boss, what could be a recipe for disaster.
So in my experience black PHs can be better bushmen, but the white PHs have authority, wisdom and caution.
I also deeply appreciated the cruel competition between the head tracker, the junior tracker and the most motivated, the young water-bearer when we were at lost for deciphering the track. Africa is cruel and the hierarchy was questioned and sometimes upset.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

gryphon
.450 member

Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: larcher]
      #266951 - 25/06/15 07:16 AM

As in all parts of the world if one takes a fair dinkum indigenous person that has lived off the land as an Aboriginal here does or have done. there IMO is a no contest situation... The greatest hunters In The world being the Inuit is a fair example as well. Bushman of the Kalahari? Who would argue with one?

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #266962 - 25/06/15 12:37 PM

Gryphon I think I know what you mean but please translate "fair dinkum" into English.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: Cazadero]
      #266979 - 26/06/15 05:08 AM

Quote:

Gryphon I think I know what you mean but please translate "fair dinkum" into English.

for sho ?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

gryphon
.450 member

Re: The Changing Face of Africa's Professional Hunters [Re: larcher]
      #267000 - 26/06/15 10:11 AM

Fair dinkum. Translates to " true as"

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #267205 - 01/07/15 02:02 AM

The Namibian "Joof Lamprecht" they have a good reputation. If they say the guy mentioned is good I would imagine the PH can do the job well.

As for the students mentioned:
"For starters, eight of these 10 students are black, like Johnny and Patches. Second, few have any experience hunting or have even spent much time in Africa’s rural areas. "

I don't think this is picking the best people rather than an affirmative action campaign.

I believe I read the South African government has a campaign to "transform" the "colour" of the industry and I think choosing good people experienced in the bush would be better than unemployed youths from urban ghettos.

The role of the PH is more than merely being a guide, they need to have an element of authority and able to make decisions well, many clients are first timers and very inexperienced. Personally I prefer an experienced PH rather than some social adjustment scheme person. Also someone with the same or similar cultural values in terms of hunting if paying hefty PH fees and safari costs.

"“But here in Africa, safari hunting is considered an old-boys network by most of our majority black population. You have white Afrikaans PHs who got their jobs because their white Afrikaans fathers were PHs. It’s one segment of our society that hasn’t changed since the end of apartheid.”"

"“Maybe he can’t write, but he knows animals,” says Vermaak. “He knows people. He knows the bush. This is the thing about black hunters. The best are the total package. They hunt like Bushmen, but they also know how to take care of people from other places and make them feel special.”"

Can't write and probably can't read either. Even if they are the best "bush" man, how do they acclimatise to the modern sporting hunting culture, with all its history and traditions?

"Sowry isn’t nearly so acquiescent. She worries that unless the majority of Africans understand and appreciate the economic and ecological value of sport hunting, an increasingly vocal movement to end safari hunting will gain traction. So, too, will calls for the sort of land reform that has transformed neighboring Zimbabwe from a wildlife-rich Eden to a bleak rural wasteland that swarms with poachers.

“When hunting is taken away from communities, then they don’t value wildlife,” says Sowry, who adds a sort of couplet to finish her thought. “If it pays, it stays. We need to prove to the non-hunting majority of Africa that wildlife pays everywhere it is legally and sustainably hunted.”"

True enough. But as long as the allocation of licences and concessions and land seizures of the future is not corruptly done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2388

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com