Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl
      #264287 - 28/04/15 12:10 AM

http://sportsafield.com/content/bullets-big-cats

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (28/04/15 12:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: Ripp]
      #264290 - 28/04/15 12:55 AM

Interesting, but if Rod's experiments are realistic, and I think they are, I would also think the Hornady Interbond 300gr. in .375 might be a better "Cat" bullet.

The PP used on cats, hippo and buffalo seems to suggest they might have an all-round soft bullet from North Fork, but not one specifically designed for cats???

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: DarylS]
      #264297 - 28/04/15 04:29 AM

Yeah.. I used a 400gr A-Frame out of my .416 on the lion --shot about 90 yards..bullet stopped under the hide of the far shoulder..shot the leopard with a 200gr A-Frame from a 300RUM at about 120 yards..never recovered anything..both took them really hard..lion roared, rolled a bit and was dead..

I know on the lion I would not have wanted to use anything a lot softer than that for that velocity..about 2400fps..actually think that bullet combo for lion was about perfect..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: Ripp]
      #264341 - 29/04/15 01:07 AM

I recall Elmer Keith noting that they used to pry the aluminum cap off the 300gr. Silver Tip Winchester ammo, for lion to make the bullets expand more rapidly.

The removal of the aluminum cap exposed the large lead nose for more rapid expansion, akin to the earlier Blue Nose European jacketed ammo for rounds of the say- early 1900's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: DarylS]
      #264352 - 29/04/15 08:34 AM

I killed my lion with a 300 grain Winchester Silvertip and he went down without a sound. The same was true of my leopard, and my greater kudu, and my eland. The eland was at about 200 yards and the bullet expanded perfectly. The lion and the leopard were at about 80 yards. Both bullets exited and were not recovered.

Shown with my Krieghoff "Teck" O/U double rifle in .375 H&H. The separated barrels were an experiment Krieghoff gave up in the early '70's.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: xausa]
      #264354 - 29/04/15 09:38 AM

Love the Woodeligh round nose soft for Lion. They work great on Hyena and have always had them when hunting Leopard.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: ozhunter]
      #264654 - 07/05/15 12:26 PM

I believe that flat nosed or round nosed bullets of conventional design are a prudent choice for the cats. They are never shot at long range so ballistic coefficient is of no consequence. They are not heavily boned, nor do they possess tough hides. I have read and been told that an impact velocity of at least 2500 fps sends a cats nervous system into fits. So I keep that in mind when thinking of a cat killing load.

A good deer bullet in a good deer calibre is all you need for leopard. Indeed, a .375 H&H stoked with A-frames or Triple Shocks might get you in trouble. They will not encounter enough resistance to cause them to open. A 30-06 with a 180 grain cup and core bullet hand loaded to a good 2700 fps would be my first choice. No bonded or mono metal bullets really needed here.

With lion. a 300 grain Hornady Interlock or Woodleigh round nose soft would be all you need. A Cape buffalo bullet won't create the wound channel of these softer bullets. As an added bonus, they are cheaper and generally more accurate that their stouter brethren.

I used a 250 grain Speer Grand Slam out of a .338 Winchester magnum on my lion. Loaded to 2645 fps, the shot moved my cat 3-4 feet sideways before he touched down for good. A famous outfitter told me to use 250 Swift A-frames. When I told him I could not get over 2400 fps, he doubted me. I doubt very much that he ever paid for an A-frame let alone chronographed a .338 Winchester loaded with one. Speaking to him reminded me of an infomercial. They are dandy in the .338 Ultra or the .340 Bee, but too long for the Winchester.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bullets for Big Cats article-- BY Kevin Robertson--SA artcl [Re: ozhunter]
      #264686 - 08/05/15 04:46 AM

Quote:

Love the Woodeligh round nose soft for Lion. They work great on Hyena and have always had them when hunting Leopard.

The Woodleigh Roundnose Weldcores in suitable weight also work well on buffalo, so good for both?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2435

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com