Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hello and suggestions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Alaskanrocket
.224 member

Reged: 04/02/15
Loc: Alaska
Hello and suggestions
      #260026 - 06/02/15 04:32 AM

Hello,
Im new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself before I asked for suggestions. I'm from Fairbanks, Alaska and spend most of my time fishing, hunting, and trapping up here.

I've always been fascinated by European rifles, everything from Mauser commercials, mauser customs, Mannlichers and so on.

I recently acquired a 98 that had been sporterized at some point in its life and fitted with claw mounts and spoon bolt. Its rough and still in 8X57 so I figured it would be a good project gun. I hadn't done my research before on the claw mounts and just assumed that you could get replacement rings. Now, I have done my research and found the cost to be around $800 on rings, fitting, etc. Well obviously a run of the mill sporterized mauser will never be worth spending that kind of money to fit rings. I am capable of metal work and such but have never done much gunsmithing. I have a 12x36 lathe and other tools to help me along in my amateur "smithing" conquests.

One I idea I've toyed with was making a blank and replacing the front mount, another idea was to buy a ring blank and dovetail it to fit the existing dovetail, the last idea was to buy a set of used rings with mounts on ebay and install them in the place of the existing set. I need some foresight on this, Im sure Im not the only person that's run into this and while researching answers on the net I haven't come up with anything satisfying yet. Well,thanks a lot in advance and I'd like to thank everyone for their posts that I've been pouring over, there are some beautiful rifles on here. Jess

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Hello and suggestions [Re: Alaskanrocket]
      #260038 - 06/02/15 02:21 PM

Hi Jess and welcome. Any chance of a pic. / two of your rifle - just curious, sometimes that
"run of the mill" rifle is anything but.

I have a similar situation and the problem I encountered is that the claw mounts aren't really
standardized (as in no two the same) and were in most cases custom fitted.

If you are into metal work, get some pics. and measurements from a fellow member a give making
the rings etc. a try / throw the claws away (sell) and start over with something more common.

JMHO-FWIW --- John

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Hello and suggestions [Re: John303]
      #260042 - 06/02/15 04:41 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Gunsmithing is just relatively basic metal and wood working (according to my local smith, who does fine work). You can do it!

--------------------

dan_oz
.224 member

Reged: 04/09/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Hello and suggestions [Re: Ash]
      #260043 - 06/02/15 07:00 PM

You could look on a site like egun.de, and might pick up a good scope with the claw-mount (the Germans usually refer to this as SEM) feet included. They'll still need to be hand-fitted though. FWIW followed this route, and even with a German-trained local gunsmith to do the hand fitting it worked out to be very good value.

Alaskanrocket
.224 member

Re: Hello and suggestions [Re: dan_oz]
      #260044 - 06/02/15 07:17 PM

Ok the first photo is how it arrived.

I don't plan on keeping the stock since it had some poor repairs made and there is a split in the center near the receiver inlet. I decided to mess around with the re-shaping the stock since it was no loss if it was messed up. That's shown in the second pic.

This is the receiver, like I said doesn't seem to be anything special and the stock was not very symmetrical.

The end result I would like is a nice sporter in .22-250 caliber

Alaskanrocket
.224 member

#260045 - 06/02/15 07:18 PM

Whoops, first pic again

Lutz
.224 member

Reged: 06/05/14
Loc: Germany, Brandenburg
      #260047 - 06/02/15 09:35 PM

Hello, we had this discussion somewhere else. Claw mounts dovetailed in the ring are not longer permissible in Germany. So -it's a pity- guns like the shown one are nearly worthless here.
The mounts must be fitted individually by a gunsmith. Expensive...
The type of suitable scopes is very limited. You can only use short ones with a small diameter lens.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3376

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com