Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Drilling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
8X57
.300 member

Reged: 09/06/10
Loc: UK & Sultanate of Oman
My Drilling
      #249406 - 24/06/14 06:24 PM

16 x 16 (70mm) x 6.5 x 58r Sauer. Maker unknown

If any members can shed any light on it I would be most grateful.

Originally 9.3 x 72 but at some stage re-sleved.

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My Drilling [Re: 8X57]
      #249419 - 24/06/14 09:08 PM

Nice and useful for medium and small game.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: My Drilling [Re: NitroX]
      #249431 - 25/06/14 12:52 AM

Your drilling was proofed at the Zella – Mehlis proofhouse and made by the Z-M guntrade, evidenced by „Nitro“ in script and the proofhouse ledger number below the proofdate. At least the barrel lining job was most likely done by WK, here one of several Z-M Willy Krausser’s, not the well known Suhl barrelmaker Wilhelm Kelber, who used a slightly different WK stamp. The Repair proof is dated 6/36, June 1936, gun number 288 of that month at the proofhouse. At the same time the shotgun chambers were lengthened from the formerly standard 65 mm = 2 ½” to 70 mm = 2 ¾”, hence the “Repair” mark on the shot barrel too. 16/1 is the actual gauge number of the barrel bore, while circled 16 is the cartridge gauge. The proofhouse simplified things by merely stamping the “Repair” marks over the original “B” proofmark without restamping the other marks. The N / K.m.G. = Kupfermantelgeschoss / 12 gr = Nitro/ copper jacket bullet / 185 gr service load marking is a leftover from the former 9.3x72R proof. The new service load marking for a 11,5 g = 177 gr steel jacketed bullet is a bit enigmatic, as that weight is quite excessive for a 6.5x58R, that used 8.2 g = 126 gr .261” bullets usually. Perhaps someone at the proofhouse goofed, stamping the same charge on two guns or mixing up things? Shit happens!

8X57
.300 member

Re: My Drilling [Re: kuduae]
      #249437 - 25/06/14 02:36 AM

Hey Kuduae
Thanks

You are a legend, not only given me the heads up on my DR age wise but also the drilling, which is actually my "to go gun".
I have lost count of the hours I have spent trying to research all this stuff. Mostly to no avail I add. So thank you.

(Kudos to Nitro Express for having such a knowledgable group of members)

I have a decent stable of shotguns and rifles to choose from but if I fancy an impromptu "walk around" the spread, this drilling is generally what I go for first.

Mostly using the shotgun element but nice to have one "up the pipe" if something more interesting comes along.
When I am next at home I will post some pictures of the under-barrel arrangement. It seems to me the only thing locking the action with the breech is the Greener style cross bolt. There are no lugs? I have had the thing apart and can't see any other method of locking. Is this usual or am I missing something?

Here's the two Germans together.

Edited by CptCurl (19/07/14 10:31 PM)

mtAl
.224 member

Reged: 14/05/14
Loc: Montana
Re: My Drilling [Re: 8X57]
      #249473 - 25/06/14 05:31 PM

8x57, thanks for the pics and the knife in the first pic is quite nice as well. Are those buffalo engraved on the blade? Nice horn handle as well.

6.5x58 Sauer is an interesting cartridge to change to from 9.3x72. I was looking at a very nice Kerner drilling that was advertised as 6.5x57 but in reality was 6.5x58 Sauer, two quite different cases/loadings to be sure while both are still useful.

Two beautiful German guns, I'm envious.

Kuduae, amazing knowledge of the markings!

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: My Drilling [Re: mtAl]
      #249475 - 25/06/14 06:54 PM

8x57, sorry, but I did not look close enough at the photo oft he opened barrel breech ends. And, you did not show a pic of the “action belly” before. Your drilling was made in Zella-Mehlis to the Franz Jaeger, Suhl, 1904 patent DRP 176578, with one lug under each barrel. Besides making such guns himself, Jaeger licensed Simson, Suhl, to make these actions, hence the breech action is known as the “Simson-Jaeger-Verschluss (= lockup). Several Zella-Mehlis makers also made copies, like your drilling. In Liege, Belgium, gunmaker Paul Scholberg offered basically the same action, called “Record”. Nothing of the Jaeger – Simson – Zella-Mehlis – Scholberg licensing arrangements is known any more. While Scholberg used monoblocs, the German makers used chopper lump barrels. The chopper lump seam is visible on the Greener extension of your drilling. All these actions were locked up only by a Greener crossbolt through the rib extension. Scholberg often used a square crossbolt. This lockup by a crossbolt only proved quite sufficient, “shooting loose” no more often than conventional underbolting. Remember, most Merkel over-unders, except the highest-grade sidelocks, are locked by the crossbolt of the Kersten or “Double Greener” extensions only.

8X57
.300 member

Re: My Drilling [Re: kuduae]
      #249484 - 25/06/14 08:03 PM

"8x57, thanks for the pics and the knife in the first pic is quite nice as well. Are those buffalo engraved on the blade? Nice horn handle as well."

Not sure about buffalo, look a bit more like Boar but very "representative" so could be either!

"Kuduae, amazing knowledge of the markings!"

Ditto.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com