Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: NitroSteel]
      #233559 - 05/08/13 11:07 AM

Ejectors

If you want them, get them.

Wait for the gun that has them unless
one really really takes your fancy.

They are nice but not essential as with practice
you can be almost as fast with extractors.

BTW, Need of caliber doesn't come into it, it's want !!! LOL

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroSteel
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #233560 - 05/08/13 11:22 AM

That Evans at Osprey really has me drooling...

I don't know why, but that's been near the top of my list for years, right there with Jeffery.

--------------------
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid."

John Wayne

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #233561 - 05/08/13 11:23 AM

I know what you mean about the No.1 in .375H&H.
Haven't shot mine for, oh... about twenty years...
Believe me, I am in no way attempting to talk you out of a 470 or 500! In fact, I have a 450 3-1/4 and a 500NE in the works... and they are both single shots!! And I am eyeballing a 475 No.2 (if I can talk the missus out of wanting a new house...). None of which I need or am too likely to use against dangerous game. Just want them for much the same reason as you do.
So, carry on... but please let us all know what you end up going for and how everything works out.

As an aside, there are some very decent and knowledgeable gents here on NE. None of which (in my own experience) would mind one bit giving you some help with deciding what may be just the right gun for you and then working up a proper load for whatever rifle you do end up getting.
You never know, now that you have your feelers out, something just right may just fall into your lap.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: Huvius]
      #233562 - 05/08/13 11:29 AM

Nitro

That Evans is a Webley PHV 1 Action, long bar (the bar where the barrels rest).

That action and the Webley Screw Grip are considered the best actions around, or some of the best.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #233563 - 05/08/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

That Evans at Osprey really has me drooling...

I don't know why, but that's been near the top of my list for years, right there with Jeffery.

Now that I really look at that Evans, it does look a little rough in places. Right side, clean...left side, not so much...
I do like the Webley PHV1 action though. Total classic!
www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com has a couple 470s but neither is a screwgrip action. They are out there...keep looking!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: Huvius]
      #233564 - 05/08/13 12:08 PM

Huvius

I see what you mean but it looks minor to me.

Looks like it has rested in it's case when damp
and got a little bit of pitting on it.

Nothing major and maybe a good negotiating point.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #233597 - 05/08/13 09:38 PM

I just looked at Osprey's site. The Evans looks pretty good other than the cosmetic pitting on the left side. The bores are described as near perfect. The price is pretty good and seems to account for the pitting. I would want to make double sure the action is tight on the face as the Webley actions aren't the easiest to rejoint. The pin is not replaceable.

He's not showing the barrel flats and doesn't say if it is chambered for the 3" or the 3.25" case. My guess would be 3.25", but that's just an (un)educated guess. The 3" Jeffery case is now considered the "modern" one, but the 3.25" case is just as good and is the "original" .450/.400 NE. I've never owned a 3" example, but have 3 rifles in the 3.25" configuration.

The weight is perfect.

Extractors, not ejectors. But that's not a bad thing. It actually saves some money on the rifle and keeps you from chasing your brass all over the place.

The original maker's case is a plus.

There's a lot of value there. I can think of a couple of sites where the price of this gun would be $5k to $10k higher. Assuming there is a little room to negotiate, a great deal can be had on this rifle.

This rifle could be a fine entry into the ownership of double rifles. It won't be your last!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: CptCurl]
      #233617 - 06/08/13 09:17 AM

The Evans is a much better investment in the long run and I love the caliber.

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: 470evans]
      #234318 - 16/08/13 05:14 AM

I'll be the dissenting voice when it comes to the Zanardini 9lbs 6oz Double being too light for a .470...

Plenty of .458 win mags were made and used in that weight range.

Fit is everything though...

They are local to you, if you otherwise like the gun it would be worth seeing if they will let you run a 5 pack of ammo through it at a local range if you spring for the ammo, to see if it fits you good enough to handle the recoil.

For a potential 18K sale I don't see how they could say no...

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
      #235873 - 21/09/13 01:52 AM

The weight is very light for a 470! This is something I have seen occurring in the past few years. I would like to see the weight at 10 1/2 ponds and up. My Rigby 470 weighed 11.2 pounds and was a pleasure to shoot!

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
      #235875 - 21/09/13 02:09 AM

George Caswell, the owner of Champlin, is a great guy to work with. He knows his stuff and backs up the guns he sells! A few years back he sold a 465 H&H and the gun blew up when the buyer was shooting the rifle! Luckily, the owner was not injured but the rifle was ruined. George sent him a check for the full amount he paid for the rifle. That does not generally happen.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #235876 - 21/09/13 02:33 AM

I know someone who has a 9lb 470, it is light to carry
but you know it has gone off when it goes off.

Anyone on the "light side" would know it for sure.

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #235886 - 21/09/13 08:38 AM

Hi nitro steel, I was in your position at the start of the year. I regularly hunted with my 458 lott and my 375s but always wanted a double. I lashed out and bought a new merkel ejector 470. I have put 100 rounds through it so far and have it shooting very accurately and regulating well with my handloads. I had an aftermarket pad fitted and lengthened the stock slightly and am very happy with it now. Significantly more comfortable to shoot than my lott, the fit is everything. I would certainly support jumping into a 470. It is a big round but it is slow recoil and doesn't belt the snot out of you. I'm currently sitting at the airport with mine and about to fly north to give some water buffalo a touch up with it! If your not worried about the classic British styling, give the merkels a look, they are a well engineered rifle and have all the right features for a hunting double. Cheers Nathan

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #237395 - 02/11/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

NitroX

I don't think Searcy's go back any more than any other makes
from what we see on this forum and others.

I think people would say.

500NX, I've known Butch Searcy for some years and there is nothing wrong with his doubles. He simply will take one of his rifles back for adjustments or tuning even if you buy it second hand. He keeps records on all his rifles, as to measurements and loads for regulation. I can guarantee you that you will not find a double rifle that is better regulated than a Searcy. and if ANYTHING goes south on one of his rifles no matter how old it is he will fix it, unless someone else has worked on it! I know of one of his rifles that was bought used and used for testing loads that has over 7000 rounds through it and is still shooting to regulation and tight on face. It has had zero problems.

..............................................Mac!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Nordmann
.300 member

Reged: 05/07/13
Loc: Denmark
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #237401 - 02/11/13 08:18 PM

Dugaboy1 - Quote: I can guarantee you that you will not find a double rifle that is better regulated than a Searcy.

Thats a hell of a statement!

I can't even guarantee that I will get up out of my bed tomorrow morning.

--------------------
James Etherington-Thorpe - a man's reputation can be known by his words. Read Mr Thorpe's comments and judge his character by his own words and attitudes.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: Nordmann]
      #237404 - 02/11/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Dugaboy1 - Quote: I can guarantee you that you will not find a double rifle that is better regulated than a Searcy.

Hyperbole, undoubtedly. But certainly a statement of great confidence.

I've neither fired nor owned a Searcy, so I can't compare; but I do know there are a lot of finely regulated doubles out there.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: CptCurl]
      #237417 - 03/11/13 05:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hyperbole, undoubtedly. But certainly a statement of great confidence.

I've neither fired nor owned a Searcy, so I can't compare; but I do know there are a lot of finely regulated doubles out there.

Curl

Yes you are correct that is one hell of a statement, but true none the less!

I didn’t say that a B. Searcy double rifle was better regulated than the best. However what I am saying they are regulated as well as the best, and take a back seat to nobody’s double in that respect!

Butch will tell you himself, that his rifles were never meant to compete on the same level as makers like H&H, Purdy and many other well known names of quality double rifle makers. What he will tell you is his rifles will regulate as well as any of them, and work just as well if cared for properly, and if anything on one of his rifles goes south, he will fix it, even if you are the down the line owner of a second hand rifle. The one thing that will negate that warrantee is if the rifle has been sent to a gunsmith who buggered it.

If you call him on the phone about the regulation load of a used Searcy you have bought he will look it up and tell you on the phone. If that call is about something not working properly, he will ask you to send it to him so he can check it out, and fix it if needed! This is for life of the rifle, not the owner! All it will cost you is shipping!

I’d say that makes a B. Searcy worth considering!

Like CaptCurl, I’ve never owned a Searcy double but have shot several, and have friends who own them, for may years. The Searcy has, like any other product, improved over the years in over all fit and finish, but not in reliability which is top drawer, IMO!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #237621 - 09/11/13 05:40 PM

Quote:

... I’ve never owned a Searcy double but have shot several, and have friends who own them, for may years. The Searcy has, like any other product, improved over the years in over all fit and finish, but not in reliability which is top drawer, IMO!

Especially when an owner is trying to offload his after having to return it at least three times for repairs ...

And yes that is a real example. Luckily the guy was in the USA so the benefit of "being able to return it to the factory for repairs" was a true benefit ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25510

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com