Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
heers68
.300 member

Reged: 11/04/08
Loc: north carolina
#1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling??
      #219151 - 06/11/12 03:44 PM

Hello folks, going whitetail hunting here in NC USA and want to use 2 3/4" #1 buckshot loads in my drillings shotgun barrels to back up my rifle barrel. Pretty sure that my shot barrels are full choke, gun was made in 36' and has 2 3/4" chambers. Do I have anything to worry about using these buckshot loads in these barrels? Hard to get a straight answer just searching around the Internet..love to hear from anyone with experience using buckshot in there drillings, prewar or after! Want a piece of mind when I pull the trigger, sure don't want to damage this old beauty!! Kevin.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: heers68]
      #219157 - 06/11/12 06:19 PM

If it nitro proofed you shouldn´t have a problem though I have been told a lot of choke will screw the pattern with buckshot but that maybe hearsay, I don´t own anything with full choke so have never tested myself
best

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #219169 - 07/11/12 12:19 AM

HI

Buck shot as a backup for white tail hunting....

I hunt rather a lot with my German BBF for deer. I would use a Brenneke slug as backup if anything. The drilling would be made to shoot with the Brenneke slugs for Wild boar. The buckshot would be a risky business and tooooooootally out of style for a pre war drilling and deer hunting.

Hunting with a pre-war german drilling is a sport for gentlemen.

Best regards, Peter Frost Hørlyck

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: granhaven]
      #219175 - 07/11/12 02:18 AM

I'm with Peter. There are a number of local German and Scandinavian fellows who use Drillings and overunders (rifle on top- generally Keighoff) for hunting and they all use Brenneke's for the shot barrels. In testing, these usually shoot close to the sights.
I am not a fan of shot for large game. My cousins in Ontario have had poor 'luck' when shooting whitetails with buck shot in their shotgun-only hunting areas :- too many lost, wounded deer. After switching to slugs, they stopped losing deer.

Make the rifle barrel work & do not rely on a 'fast' second 'shot' of anything, but do test with Brenneke's first.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: DarylS]
      #219224 - 07/11/12 11:20 AM

A concern I have, wouldn't that gun be chambered for "roll crimped" cases? which when shot would be shorter than star crimps. Thus with the star crimp would end up in the forcing cones causing a constriction.
Bob

heers68
.300 member

Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: aromakr]
      #219736 - 17/11/12 06:52 AM

Thanks for info guys, I hunt at very short ranges in dense woods(50 yards or less) otherwise I wouldnt want to trust buck shot either, I would hope it is affective at these ranges? I need to look into getting Brenneke slugs..just havent searched around on line yet. Recommendation on the best place and price to get them at? Still like to hear from someone who has used buckshot in their Drilling!! Kevin.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #219744 - 17/11/12 09:16 AM

I am assuming that your pre-War Krieghoff is a 16 gauge, as is mine. Check this out: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/861864/...d-slug-box-of-5 I think you'll be pleased.

At least you won't make the mistake I made several years ago with my Sauer und Sohn pre-War drilling. I got a shot at a deer standing broadside at about 75 yards and unaccountably it ran off. Then I realized that the recoil was somewhat heavier than expected. When I checked, sure enough, somehow the barrel selector had wandered from "K" (Kugel or bullet) to "S" (Schrot or shot). The 00 Buckshot just didn't hold up at that range. The Sauer has sepaarate rifle barrel cocking, but you still have to put the barrel selector on "K".

No more buckshot for me, it's Brenneke all the way!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: xausa]
      #219762 - 18/11/12 03:13 AM

imho, buckshot is a short range possiblity that dont work adequate over 25 yards. buy yourself buchshot and slugs and try them on different distances and you will know what I mean.

if you have an pre war drilling in 16 ga chance is very high that it have a 65mm/2,5" long chamber. RWS load the brennecke classic slug also in a special 67,5mm long plastic case thats intended for the old 65 mm long chambers. it can also fired without problems in gun with 70mm /2 3/4" long chambers.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: lancaster]
      #219818 - 19/11/12 03:36 PM

A few weeks ago a friend lost a whitetail he shot with 00 buckshot from about 30 yards . He thought he made a good shot but little blood and no deer .

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: ruffcountry]
      #219876 - 20/11/12 12:51 PM

If you have 2 3/4" chambers definitely use Brenneke slugs. I'm in agreement with the others that say using 00 buckshot is not a good idea. The 16 ga X 65mm Brenneke "Classic" cartridges are currently not available in the US but hopefully that will change sometime this spring.

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

heers68
.300 member

Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: Buchsemann]
      #240471 - 12/01/14 01:15 AM

Thanks for responses guys, I will be looking for some Brenneke slugs! Kevin.

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
      #240472 - 12/01/14 03:06 AM

Kevin,
A few boxes left here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=386764220

m4220

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: aromakr]
      #240474 - 12/01/14 04:03 AM

Quote:

A concern I have, wouldn't that gun be chambered for "roll crimped" cases? which when shot would be shorter than star crimps. Thus with the star crimp would end up in the forcing cones causing a constriction.
Bob

Case length is measured with the crimp unfolded, as after firing. So a loaded star crimped shell is shorter than a loaded roll crimped one, but both are shorter than the 70mm = 2 3/4" after firing.

German drillings were never meant to be used with buckshot! Shooting buckshot or any other shot at any deer, boar or other hoofed game is illegal in Germany since at least 1934, before it was regarded unsporting and frowned upon. Your drilling was made to shoot Brenneke slugs from the left barrel in case of need.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: kuduae]
      #240481 - 12/01/14 05:58 AM

Two things ...

First off, Kuduae, it's interesting to hear you say that heers68's drilling was made to shoot slugs from the left barrel. Curious, was the left barrel of a conventional drilling given special attention with its alignment relative to the rifle barrel i.e. sights or is this just a comment of preference as in something you had written a while back?: "A drilling, loaded with a decent rifle cartridge, a shot load for hare or fox in the right barrel and a Brenneke slug in the left barrel makes a decent "Ersatz" double rifle for short range use on wild boar."

Second, I have to admit I am surprised to see a box of the newly released 65mm (2 1/2") Brenneke 16ga slugs selling on Gunbroker already. I haven't heard squat of how the launch of the new slugs has been going with regard to availability or use in the field. Has anybody been out (hunting or range) with these things yet? My first opportunity should be coming up in the next few weeks.

--------------------

- John Dryden

m4220
.300 member

Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: Buchsemann]
      #240483 - 12/01/14 06:14 AM

Mark,
Thanks for your help in the launch, the gunbroker ad was the first I had seen of any that had actually made it to a retail facility. I promptly ordered up a supply for my drillings & thought I would let others know that at least a few boxs were still available for purchase.
PS: Very nice drilling you have aqquired, congratulations!

Best Regards
m4220

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: m4220]
      #240485 - 12/01/14 06:55 AM

Büchsemann,
As in almost all drillings, except mine, the front trigger fires the rifle barrel if the switch is on "Kugel" or the right shot one if "Schrot" is selected, the rear/left trigger always serving the left shot barrel regardless of the selector position, it is simply convenient to load the slug in the left barrel. This allows you to fire two quick "left and right" shots on f.i. boar without having to manipulate a switch in between. It is also convenient to have an insert barrel inside the right shot barrel, as this enables you to use the set trigger for a deliberate shot at some small game. So a really good gunmaker regulates a drilling this way: 1- the shot barrels have to shoot into a usable left-right shot pattern over the open top rib. 2- the rifle barrel and the left shot barrel should shoot both the bullet and the slug to the same poi at slug range, up to 50 meters, over the automatic open sight. Now, where the right shot barrel shoots with slugs, is of minor consequence, as the open rear sight will be down and useless anyhow when the right barrel is selected. So, if the gunmaker was really good, slugs from the left shotgun barrel are more likely to shoot to your open sights.
BTW, regarding double rifle drillings: As you intend to use slugs in the shot barrel of your Bemesu dr-drilling, thoroughly check point of impact before using it on game. You already have two rifle barrels on hand, so the lower barrel was intended for shot use only, in case some shootable fur and feather offers an opportunity. A dr-drilling usually has no rear sight folding out of sight automatic. So many of them are regulated to throw a hasty shot pattern above the line of open rifle sights. At least my Lovena dr-drilling does this. Consequently it shoots a slug high too. As Bernhard Merkel was an avid hunter besides one of the best gunmakers, he likely regulated your drilling this way also to make the shot barrel really usable.

Buchsemann
.333 member

#240492 - 12/01/14 08:25 AM

Kuduae (Axel),

Thank you once again for teaching me something new. Thus far having not been hunting with any drillings loaded with slugs I hadn't given the right/left shot barrel thing the thought it now obviously needed. What you have just told us makes a bunch of sense. Perhaps I ought to spring the cash for an extra boar so I can 1) Use my newly acquired Bemesu DR drilling as a double rifle and 2) Make use of one of my other "conventional" drillings to spark off one of the new Brenneke slugs on a boar as per the conventional set-up, that is providing that I have one come within preferred slug range. I will be using the scope when working up a load for the rifle barrels and the scope will remain on the gun when I shoot a slug through the shot tube. It does sound though that if the slug hits close to the rifle bullets it could just be a lucky coincidence, we'll see. This boar hunt will end my large game hunting for the winter and much time will pass before I have this opportunity again. I'm gonna change my plans and bring two drillings, using the conventional drilling if a second boar is available.

Danke and Waidmannsheil!

Mark

PS - m4220 - You're welcome and thank you for your nice compliment.

--------------------

- John Dryden

m4220
.300 member

#240945 - 21/01/14 08:51 AM

Gentlemen,
I grabbed a target,chrony & a 30s vintage Sauer boxlock drilling & a couple of the recently released Brenneke 16 ga 65mm 2 1/2 1 oz slugs figuring my neighbors would be sympathetic to 2 quick rnds fired midday. Set up a target & the chrony. Fired offhand a left then a right.
1st shot left bbl (rear trigger)= 3/4" right & 2" low, 2nd shot right bbl I pulled the shot calling the error=low left on the target. Shots averaged 1500fps which I question as 1350 fps is advertised. Now I am really anxious to get to the range as I think by not pulling down so tight on the bead & allowing the entire rib sighting plane to be seen when aligning the bead on the target will yield good results. Looking promising!

m4220

Edited by m4220 (21/01/14 10:43 AM)

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: m4220]
      #242527 - 17/02/14 12:14 AM

Glad to hear that the Brennekes are clocking better than advertised although I had originally thought they were trying to keep the pressure down. To see if the undertaking is even worth it I wouldn't see a problem shooting the standard fosters which are a bit more available. They are truly made to draw down under most circumstances and in my experience shoot fairly well.

If I remember correctly, the case length on fired Remingtons was 2 5/8 for their 16ga slugs. My guess is that they still take the short chamber situation into account.

Lastly, some time back there was a post on Shotgunworld or a closely related site, where a poster had cobbled together about a dozen different reloads for 16ga OO buck. He had shipped them off to Tom Armburst for testing and had the pressures listed as well.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by Tom_H (17/02/14 12:17 AM)

heers68
.300 member

Re: #1 buck in my pre war Krieghoff drilling?? [Re: Tom_H]
      #244303 - 24/03/14 06:33 AM

THANKS for all the great and informative posts Gentlemen! I have picked up some 2 1/2" Brenneke slugs and I will let you know how my 36' Sempert & Kreighoff Trumpf patterns with the rifle barrel and left shot tube..Kevin.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10467

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com