Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My bro made meat We eat tonight

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
My bro made meat We eat tonight
      #218672 - 31/10/12 02:04 AM

My bro - with the .62 S.Hawken he built a couple years ago.

The young lady working on the head is a Swiss Taxidermist, getting some experience on NA game. Good place to start as Taylor is having a full head mount done.

Even though the counter points were broken off, the rack still went 48" wide. He's a decent moose for the area.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: DarylS]
      #218679 - 31/10/12 04:34 AM

That is a nice Moose!!! Did he use that rifle when he shot it? Close range? /Staffan

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: Sville]
      #218691 - 31/10/12 08:29 AM

Well-done to your bro, Daryl!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: Ben]
      #218710 - 31/10/12 04:53 PM

Very nice moose, congratulations to him.

BTW where can I get help like that for my caping needs?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: NitroX]
      #218716 - 31/10/12 06:35 PM

Nice moose ! best

Sville
.400 member

#218723 - 31/10/12 07:46 PM

Quote:

BTW where can I get help like that for my caping needs?

John, first you need to shoot a Moose like that, after that you can start thinking about girls....

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #218727 - 31/10/12 07:54 PM

Smart men think and plan ahead. First the girls, then the moose to cape ... if no moose, you have to find something else to do ... though the best laid plans of mice and men ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Sville
.400 member

#218728 - 31/10/12 08:16 PM

Learned something from that....

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #218735 - 31/10/12 09:12 PM

Congrats to bro, very nice moose. Enjoy a potjie , if you don't know how to make one, come over with the meat and I will gladly teach you

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: SAHUNT]
      #218736 - 01/11/12 12:25 AM

Nice moose and you are a lucky man Daryl..moose meat is Awesome...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My bro made meat We eat tonight [Re: Ripp]
      #218745 - 01/11/12 01:08 AM

Here's the sordid story in Taylor's words.

"This is the first time hunting with my (new) .62 cal Hawken. It weighs 12 pounds, has a 36" barrel, and no sling. By the end of the first day a-foot, I thought I'd chosen poorly. But I was surprised to find that I got used to the weight, and it really was not an issue. However, I need new shirts now, with longer sleeves.

I only had three and a half days for this hunt, so we beat the bush hard from dawn to dusk. On the second day, we spotted a bull and four cows across a valley on a mountain side, but by the time we got to them, they had moved off and disappeared, leaving only tracks in the fresh snow. I was hunting with a friend, and when we returned to camp for a meal on the second day, we met up with the other pair of hunters in our camp, and they had shot a good bull not far from camp. They had seen eleven moose, seven of which were bulls, so we returned to the site in the afternoon to pack out the meat. Having just left camp, we came upon two immature bulls feeding - I took the one on the left, and Keith the one on the right. He waited until I fired, but mine was facing me dead on, and his was quartering away, and making to head for the trees.

The range was only about 25 yards, and I was confident that a head shot would do it, but as I touched the trigger, he turned his head, and his left antler was shot away. At the shot, Keith fired and his bull went down - mine bolted for the heavy timber. I did not think I wounded mine, but we'd deal with that possibility later. Now we had two moose on the ground and lots of work ahead of us. We left the freshly killed bull, and went to the ridge and processed the first animal.

The pack was mostly down hill thankfully, but even so, I was pretty blown by the time it was in the truck. I left the other three at the second bull and went back to camp to bring coffee. By the time I returned with fresh brew, the second bull was in pieces along the trail, so it was a simple thing to get it into the truck. Everyone was pretty jubilant but inside I was beating myself up for flubbing my opportunity.

Next morning with good light and -17 deg. C, our host Michael Schneider used his tracking dog to try to find my moose, but after several hours of serious effort, the dog gave up. Knowing well his dog, Michael announced that there was no blood for the dog to track, so it is unlikely that I wounded the little guy. That was both a relief and a disappointment.

We spent the afternoon hunting a great 'honey hole' but did not see a thing. As the light was failing, we headed back toward camp, and Michael said he wanted to make a phone call, so we headed up a mountain road to a spot he knew provided reception. As we rounded a corner, we saw a bull and a cow on the road ahead at about 90 yards. The cow moved off but the bull stayed and stared like a statue, so it was an easy shot. It's amazing how fast a fellow's luck can change. This is the biggest moose I've shot, and I don't hunt for horns, but I am having a full head mount made, again, another first for me."

Immature bull = 1 1/2 years old. ie: long yearling. they typically run 1 to 7 or 8 points per side, with small diameter bases on their antlers, and small palms. They usually provide 300 to 350 pounds in weight for the 4 quarters, hanging in the butcher's shop.

Taylor has that left antler form the little bull, the one he shot off - 4 or 5 points & tiny little plams. Yes - that .62 knocked it right off his head, about 1/2" above the rosette. Bet that gave him a headache. A tiny split second of movement is all it takes to make an easy situation go bad.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com