Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Washington Wolves

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Washington Wolves
      #217383 - 30/09/12 01:50 AM

It's a step in the right direction.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/...rpshooters?lite

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Washington Wolves [Re: DarylS]
      #217389 - 30/09/12 09:46 AM

Most definatly. I hope that states just experiencing wolves have learned from what Montana, Idaho and Wyoming have gone through. In the area of Montana that I live in, the wolves have pushed elk and deer down on to private property where they have some security. They are eating pastures and hay stacks to the point that deer and elk are now competeing with livestock and costing ranchers millions of dollars. It use to be I could go any direction into the national forest and fine game, there were outfitters in this area that made their living guiding hunters from out of state, most are now looking for other lines of work or trying to relocate. Bow season is no on in Montana, I went out yesterday, didn't cut a track or scat in areas that traditionally always held game. I hope Washington and Oregon don't let this get out of hand.
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Washington Wolves [Re: aromakr]
      #217391 - 30/09/12 09:57 AM

I'd think those states will have just as poor luck as we do, in shooting them. The only way to punch them back for a number of years, is through poisoning. The game branches know this, but are feerful of the tree huggers for some reason.
I say, just do it and don't tell anyone. That happened here with the ranchers and hunters. They did the program as the government wouldn't.

Remember the old sponges that shrunk hard and smaller when dry? For a non-poison method of wolf control, a bit nasty, cut the sponge into 1" squares, soak with beef, deer, moose or elk blood, then dry/shrink them. Then throw the dry sponges out into the middle of large fields and frozen lakes which only canines use for travel. Yeah - you might get a few coyotes, but if your target, wolves, are in the area, there won't be any coyotes - they move out or be killed.

This is an old game branch predetor control officer's method, as told to me.

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #217393 - 30/09/12 11:55 AM

Daryl:
I know of a guy that saves all this blood shot meat, cuts it into small pieces, inserts a piece of obsidian (volcanic glass) freezes it and while snowmobiling if he cuts fresh wolf tracks just deposits pieces of meat along the trail. Same thing, more than one way to skin a cat.

A good friend of mine shot a cow elk last week with a bow she went about 60 yards and laid down, within 5 minuites two young wolves were on her, he yelled at them, they paid no attention to him. of all times to leave his sidearm in camp. By the time he got back with the quad they had torn her apart. He was able to slavage most of her but they destroyed about a 5th of the animal. This is the first bow season I've missed in many years, with the fires and wolves its a waist of time.
Bob

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #217477 - 02/10/12 12:36 PM

Daryl

I have heard the sponge one before ..as well as one using a small piece of saw blade bent end to end, tied with thin piece of string inside a piece of raw frozen meat ..not sure if that works but also was told to me by an old rancher..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (02/10/12 12:37 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Washington Wolves [Re: Ripp]
      #217505 - 03/10/12 01:47 AM

They are all bloody nasty methods of killing wolves and I detest them - all of them, however when the Government Hunters or Predator Control Officrs are prevented or refuse to do their job, drastic measures must be taken. It all depends on how much we wish to maintain our heritage of hunting & to do that, we need the ungulate population. I will not turn into a thumb sucking city wimp.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #217544 - 03/10/12 11:04 PM

Quote:

I will not turn into a thumb sucking city wimp.

IMHO, the world in general would be a much better place if more felt this way...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1903

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com