Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leopard hunt in 2013

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Leopard hunt in 2013
      #212342 - 09/07/12 03:35 AM

I'm giving serious thought to going to Namibia or Zimbabwe in 2013 for leopard/plains game. I've been on four safaris, but my new bride has never been.

She's interested in non-hunting events and the lodge, amenities, people, etc. We're both middle 60s and I've had both knees replaced, so lots of hiking, walking is pretty much out.

I'm open for any and all comments.

Where have you been, what have you heard, opinions on how to keep the wife happy.

Me - I'm gonna' spend 12 nights in a blind with my little rifle - .416 Ruger.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: poprivit]
      #212378 - 09/07/12 05:23 PM

Zim has a higher success rate on Leopard than Namibia.
Question you must ask yourself is "would you happy to shoot with the assistance of a spot light".
If no is the answer then that will rule out many outfits making it easier to find the right one.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: ozhunter]
      #212452 - 10/07/12 06:54 PM

Leopards are small animals by dangerous game standards. I would recommend a good deer rifle and bullet combination over a large bore any day. There isn't a .416 bullet that will open up one micron when it hits the pelvis of a leopard, let alone the rib cage. A 150 - 180 grain pill at 3000fps would be my choice for a leopard slayer. The shock of a high velocity round opening up is well known. The trauma caused by these high velocity pills is greater that that of a large bore. Just my .02$. Good luck on your hunt.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: albertan]
      #212472 - 10/07/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Leopards are small animals by dangerous game standards. I would recommend a good deer rifle and bullet combination over a large bore any day. There isn't a .416 bullet that will open up one micron when it hits the pelvis of a leopard, let alone the rib cage. A 150 - 180 grain pill at 3000fps would be my choice for a leopard slayer. The shock of a high velocity round opening up is well known. The trauma caused by these high velocity pills is greater that that of a large bore. Just my .02$. Good luck on your hunt.

Agree totally...having said that, also might consider both..go on the leopard hunt and then plains game depending on how much and many plains game species you would like to hunt..DG areas typically dont have a ton of plains game and the ones they do have a pretty skiddish after being hunted all day by lion, leopard, etc...IMHO...can probably hunt many more species by going on a plains game only hunt..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: Ripp]
      #212474 - 11/07/12 12:14 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking a .300 of some sort would be the hot setup. I'd have to sell the 257, though, as money is going to be extremely tight. Maybe I could do a trade - dunno.

A 300WM with a good Leupold and shoot the wheels off of it before I go.

Or, I could do what the client did that I met on my last safari. To the PH: "Here's my gun. I've never shot it. Can you sight it in for me?"

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #212478 - 11/07/12 12:45 AM

I would suggest you consult with your PH, they really do not like magnum cartridges use on leopards at close range. if that 257 is a Roberts, it could be ideal with the right load. You want a tack driver with a low power scope that will give you a large field of view and excellent light gathering ability even an illuminated cross hair. Leopards are not tough, BUT they are tenacious, the right bullet in the correct spot is more important than the wrong high speed bullet in the wrong place. I would also get a copy of Kevin Roberts book "The perfect shot" there is a lot of very good information in it, for all species.
Bob

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #212482 - 11/07/12 01:28 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm thinking a .300 of some sort would be the hot setup. I'd have to sell the 257, though, as money is going to be extremely tight. Maybe I could do a trade - dunno.

Or, I could do what the client did that I met on my last safari. To the PH: "Here's my gun. I've never shot it. Can you sight it in for me?"

I actually bought a Cooper 30-06 for this very reason...have a Leupold VX3 on it in 3.5 -10
have never hunted with it yet---but when I go back over for another leopard..that is what I plan to take..really, IMHO, dont need a mag for leopard...hit them right and like all other game, they are dead..period..

Used a .300 Ultra on the first leopard..shooting 200 gr A-Frames--certainly did the job..but definitely not needed as to that type of power...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #212484 - 11/07/12 01:45 AM

Quote:

Sounds ideal for a combined plains game safari with leopard.

Your last paragraph is why many PHs don't like "magnums", because the rifle is often brand new and hardly used by the client.

Hope you achieve your goal and have fun anticipating it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: NitroX]
      #212492 - 11/07/12 07:22 AM

John:
The reason alot of PH's don't like the magnums is that todays premium bullets zip right through light skinned and boned animals and the majority of the energy is spent off in space instead of in the animal, shutting down the nervus system and stopping the animal in its tracks. The animal that I would least want to track when wounded is mister spots!!!! leopard hunting is a relativly short range hunt, usually under 100 yards. I have a short, very accurate 308 Win. Sako that will typically shoot 1/2-3/4" groups at 100 yards with 165 Hornady's that I'll be using, but I think I will switch to Sierra's as they have a lighter jacket that will open sooner.
Bob

albertan
.333 member

Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: aromakr]
      #212502 - 11/07/12 10:21 AM

A 30-06 with a good deer bullet would more that suffice. A 190 grain Hornady cup and core would work on plains game, and you will need to bait the leopard, and it will work on the leopard. A 50 yard shot on a leopard is a long one. A 300 yard shot on plains game is a long one. You won't need to install a muzzle break or need a 50 power scope. A good 3x9 or 3x10 scope with a 40-42 mm objective will work well. Just make sure it is dependable and bright.

I used a Leupold 6x42 fixed power on mine and had no complaints. More power is nice for punching paper, but I never had any problems on game ranging from jackals to giraffe with the light, bright, and tough 6x42 Leupold. The 4.5 inches of eye relief is nice as I don't have to lean into the scope to get a good sight picture. Of course, it is your decision to make. Just my .02$.

albertan
.333 member

Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: albertan]
      #212504 - 11/07/12 10:35 AM

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/albertasafari/Zimbabwe2006019.jpg

A 6x42 mm triumph. 27 paces for the first shot. 3 paces for the last. A finisher.

Edited by albertan (11/07/12 10:45 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Leopard hunt in 2013 [Re: aromakr]
      #212509 - 11/07/12 12:35 PM

Quote:

John:
The reason alot of PH's don't like the magnums is that todays premium bullets zip right through ...

Yes true, but that isn't the rifle and calibre but the choice of bullet.

Don't see the need to take a second rifle, when a different bullet will do even better.

I've only used my .30-06 for plains game in Africa. Plus my .375 and 9.3x74R and .450 on other hunts. Borrowed a 8x68S another time, which would be my choice as a plains game rifle probably from now on.

Never taken a leopard but have briefly hunted them a couple of times when sign was 'spotted'. (pun intended)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (11/07/12 02:13 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3758

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com