Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby
      #2071 - 16/03/03 02:04 AM

Mike

A couple more of your pics. Very nice pair of wildebeest - "black and blue" to be precise.

Blue wildebeest & Black Wildebeest

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: "Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby [Re: NitroX]
      #2072 - 16/03/03 03:08 AM

The Blue Wildebeest in the top photo was taken last year just outside of Warmbath,RSA.This wasn't so much of a hunt, as responding to a plea of help from a campground owner to take out some excess game on his property.My outfitter had received a call the previous evening from the land owner to see if anyone wanted a nice Blue Wildebeest for their collection. Of course I was happy to help him out. This guy was strong! He took two hits on the shoulder from a 375 Ackley at no more than 65 yards. He didn't even flinch on the first shot. The second shot dropped him. Due to the situation, I never measured him. We just drank a toast to him, caped him out, and sent him to the taxidermist. The landowner roasted him on a giant spit 2 days later, and hosted one heck of a party.
The Black Wildebeest was taken 3 years ago while hunting with Jan Oelofse, PH Steve Tors, near Mt. Etjo, Namibia. This was my second hunt with Jan and Steve. I highly recommend them. Anyway, this critter was the runningest thing I've ever seen. He was a lone bull that seemed to have staked his claim to an area of about 6 square miles. It was very flat, and wide open. For 2 days, whenever we got within 1000 yards of him, he just wheeled about, and took off. Finally Steve determined that the only way we would get a chance at him would be to appeal to its sense of curiousity. We got within about 1000 yards of him, then Steve & I got out of the vehicle and had the tracker drive off in the opposite direction. Steve and I then huddled up inside some thorn bushes. Every couple of minutes, Steve would stand up and wave his arms about wildly, then quickly sit back down. Every time he did this, the bull would come closer. After nearly an hour of this game, the bull had closed to 174 yards, and I was finally able to take him. I used my Mod 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Ackley.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #2083 - 18/03/03 04:56 PM

Mike

A very funny story and it is amazing sometimes the tricks used to get an animal. Never heard of the "waving one's arms around and then hiding behind the bush" trick before.

Did you initially think the PH was a madman?

Amazing. And it worked! Now I know why you have such a big smile in the photos

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #2084 - 18/03/03 06:24 PM

Mike

That is a great story.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: "Black & Blue" Duo courtesy of Mikeh416Rigby [Re: NitroX]
      #2087 - 18/03/03 11:11 PM

As similar trick is actually used with some regularity here in the states when hunting Pronghorn. They have an inborn curiosity that can sometimes be taken advantage of. What we'll do with Pronghorn is stay hidden in whatever cover is available, and then raise your arm and wave your hat about for a few seconds, then quickly pull in down. It works about 1/3 of the time.

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #2091 - 19/03/03 01:35 AM

MIke,

Good wildebeest it seems that the same family of animals are all inquisitive that is the hartebeest's, wildebeest's and the blesbuck and bontebok.

What also works is to lay down behind a bush and make some natural noises like breaking twigs or russteling some leaves they just need to know what it is making that noise. Whistling soflty also worked once. But don't try it if there is a whole heard of them only with one or maiximum 3 animals.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 6691

You rated this topic a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com