Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt
      #199193 - 12/01/12 01:00 AM

SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt

JOHANNESBURG – A decision by the South African wildlife parks to auction the right to hunt white rhinoceros has stirred up controversy, with lobby groups warning that the species is already under pressure from poachers.

A businessman in the Kwazulu-Natal region recently paid N$960 150 for the licence to shoot a male rhinoceros in a reserve, after successfully bidding for the right from the regional nature conservation authority, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife.

The authority’s chief Bandile Mkhize defended the decision to auction shooting rights, arguing that the decision to reduce rhino numbers was “based on sound ecological, demographic and genetic wildlife management grounds”.
“We feel more than justified that we have followed defendable principles and protocols,” he said.
Mkhize said reducing certain rhino males could actually enhance the population’s growth rates and help to further genetic conservation.

In addition, auctioning the right to shoot “generates substantial revenues and helps provide much needed additional funding and support to effective conservation management programme as well as providing incentives for rhino specific conservation”.

But while the proceeds from the auctioned hunt are to be reinvested in environment protection, anti-poaching lobby groups are up in arms against the move as they warn that poachers are already depleting South African wildlife reserves.

Simon Bloch, who represents a group of South African citizens outraged by poaching, warned that the wildlife protection authority’s move “sends the wrong message to the world”.

The group Stop Rhino Poaching estimates that 446 rhinos were killed in South Africa in 2011, a sharp jump from the 13 lost in 2007, 83 in 2008, 122 in 2009 and 333 in 2010.
The street value of rhinoceros horns has soared to about U$65 000 a kilogram, making it more expensive than gold, platinum and in many cases cocaine, as a belief - with no basis in science - has taken hold in recent years in parts of Asia that ingesting it can cure or prevent cancer.
South Africa, home to more than 20 000 rhinos, was losing about 15 animals a year a decade ago. But poaching increased dramatically from about 2007 as a growing affluent class in places such as Vietnam and Thailand began spending more on rhino horn for traditional medicine.
The number of rhinoceroses dying unnatural deaths in South Africa, either through illegal poaching or legal hunts, has reached a level likely to lead to population decline, according to a study by Richard Emslie, an expert in the field.

About half of poaching takes place in Kruger National Park, the country’s flagship park covering an area about the size of Israel, where soldiers and surveillance aircraft have been deployed in recent months to slow the carnage.
The park has been the focal point of an arms race as gangs of poachers sponsored by international crime syndicates have used high-powered weaponry, night vision goggles and helicopters to hunt the animals, investigators said.
Many poachers were trained by Mozambique’s military or police and are now living in squalor in the border region next to Kruger, South African investigators said.
Their cut of the rhino money is relatively small compared to other players in the international trade but is considered a fortune at home.

Rhino horn has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine, where it is ground into a powder and often mixed with hot water to treat a variety of maladies including rheumatism, gout, high fever and even devil possession.

In recent years, it has also taken on a reputation for being an aphrodisiac and cancer cure.

“Nothing is more tragic than to see this totally unnecessary and brutal killing of an animal for its horn, and the horn in turn has zero medicinal value,” said Pelham Jones, a leader of the South Africa Private Rhino Owners Association.

– Nampa-AFP-Reuters

http://www.namibian.com.na/news/environm...for-rhino-hunt/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #199209 - 12/01/12 05:21 AM

If its worth that much then the animal will be hand fed and the pen really small.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: gryphon]
      #199211 - 12/01/12 05:42 AM

Baffles me why anyone would want to shoot a white Rhino, there are LOTS of them in SA, go on a plains game hunt there, they walk up to the truck, or, even if you get out, have a sniff and wander off, completely inoffensive, like female bovines really, whenever I see someone in modern times standing next to a dead white Rhino I have to ask why ? best

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #199231 - 12/01/12 01:38 PM

Seems expensive,

For me the "Big Five" has always been "Black"!

Would try a "White" however if given a chance.

Note also, the "assumptions" above are just that "assumptions" ie small pens.

Why would a parks rhino have to have been raised in a small pen?

They've been breeding in the wild for decades. I remember rhino (not white but black) programmes in Zimbabwe hunting areas in 1993. Almost walked into one, one night.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#199246 - 12/01/12 02:54 PM

Nitro if one 'owned ' a rhino worth that much to a top bidder hunter do you think it would be out free ranging in the wild where every horn poacher would be after it? I think not mate.It would be looked after just like those maned lions laying up against the fence in the pen in the other thread.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199292 - 13/01/12 12:01 AM

As I read it, the rhino hunt will be in a park. Possibly a big old guy. Probably not very hard to hunt.

Big assumption to say it is pen raised.

Also N$ is Nambian dollars I am guessing? If parity to the Rand, what's the exchange rate 8 to 1?

Not that big dollars. Not $1 million in real money.

Lots of white rhino running around in reserves and parks in South Africa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #199298 - 13/01/12 03:51 AM

In 1971, a black rhino was considerably cheaper in Kenya, where the population was thick enough to constitute a nuisence. This fellow was definitely not pen raised, and was bearing down on us in a decidedly unfriendly manner when my .505 came into action.

This is a copy of the Visitor's Game License fees still in effect at the time. If you can make it out, you will see that the license for a rhino was 2000,--, and the controlled area fee was also 2000,--, but these sums are in Kenya shillings, worth roughly $0.14, or seven to the dollar, so the total came to about $571.00.

There are some other pretty reasonable fees on the list, such as the rest of the Big Five, elephant, buffalo, lion and leopard. The plains game animals allowed on a General License were quite generous.

Most of these fees applied to Tanzania as well, but if I recall correctly, in Kenya you had to pay a concession fee in advance, but in Tanzania only if you actually used the license.

Those were the days.....

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: xausa]
      #199302 - 13/01/12 04:28 AM

Xausa, are you trying to wind us up ?? lucky bugger, best, Mike

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #199367 - 13/01/12 11:19 PM

Authorities have killed two suspected poachers, arrested two others and found 11 rhino carcasses in the same area of South Africa's Kruger National Park in one week
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-safrican-rangers-poachers-kruger.html

gryphon
.450 member

Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: Story]
      #199393 - 14/01/12 05:33 AM

Yes even the poachers can kill them,I bet they arent carrying 500 Nitro doubles too.

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #199394 - 14/01/12 06:56 AM

It has been on television in Sweden last week of South african hunting. Fences, hunting for Rhinos in small fenced areas, they breed Lions to have black manes, I don´t know if that is the correct word, but black hair. Many people with money wants to shoot a Lion, but they don´t want to do i the correct way with a real hunt. They shoot them in a fence!!! If that I saw is correct I will never buy a hunt in South Africa.

//S

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: Sville]
      #199395 - 14/01/12 07:01 AM

I would not like to fish in a pool, I would not like to hunt behind a fence and I prefer not to go to a whorehouse!!!

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #199398 - 14/01/12 07:42 AM

Quote:

It has been on television in Sweden last week of South african hunting. Fences, hunting for Rhinos in small fenced areas, they breed Lions to have black manes, I don´t know if that is the correct word, but black hair. Many people with money wants to shoot a Lion, but they don´t want to do i the correct way with a real hunt. They shoot them in a fence!!! If that I saw is correct I will never buy a hunt in South Africa.

//S

Many, many, many of the hunting ranches in South Africa are huge. By that, I mean in excess of 25,000 acres. On a property of that size, you'll rarely, if ever see a fence. The reason for the fences are primarily twofold: first, it's a carry over from the old days, to prevent the spread of hoof and mouth disease. Second, the animals are the property of the landowner, and he's just trying to protect his investment from escaping to neighboring properties. If you visit a hunting ranch in South Africa during the calving season, you will see many newborn animals. A great many of the animals hunted on these huge farms were born there. Hunting these animals on large, fenced properties is in my opinion, just as challenging as hunting an unfenced one.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#199399 - 14/01/12 07:44 AM

Quote:

Baffles me why anyone would want to shoot a white Rhino, there are LOTS of them in SA, go on a plains game hunt there, they walk up to the truck, or, even if you get out, have a sniff and wander off, completely inoffensive, like female bovines really, whenever I see someone in modern times standing next to a dead white Rhino I have to ask why ? best

I think you'd have to admit that, that is a large sum of money going to the parks system for habitat improvement, and anti poaching units.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #199411 - 14/01/12 10:14 AM

Quote:

//S

There is a huge ethical debate about lion hunting in South Africa. The Lion breeding industry has been tainted with allegations ( and fact ) about same-day release and drugging of lions prior to being shot. This would not exist without the demand so if there is any fault, I believe it belongs at the feet of those who have no morals and are happy to pay big bucks for such a lion and then claim it as a 'trophy'. It however is a two edged sword. Cut the demand and the supply will go, along with the genetic diversity and preservation of habitat.

Fences in South Africa and many countrys also serve the purpose of keeping poachers and hungry civilians out of hunting ranches and concessions. Any fenced area, no matter how large, will need fresh genetics eventually and there is a degree of management and intervention in this.

I have hunted fenced areas on foot in Africa for cull animals in self sustaining, managed populations and it is some of the hardest hunting I have done.

RE: Rhinos. I have stated here before, if I had the money I would have no problem shooting a fenced Rhino. Hunting is still the most cost effective way to protect a species no matter how we compromise our ethics. Just be honest about how you did it.

Edited by tophet1 (14/01/12 10:24 AM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt [Re: tophet1]
      #199414 - 14/01/12 11:48 AM

I whole heartedly agree with your comment about being honest about how you did it.

Nothing gets my skivies in a bunch more than watching someone who'se got more money than God, hunting on a fenced- in whitetail hunting preserve, sitting in a heated, elevated tree house, shoot a 200" whitetail, next to an automated feeder, and listen to him or her talk about what a great "hunt" it was. They need to man up and tell the viewing audience the truth..."Hey, I just shot the biggest buck that money could buy".

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199419 - 14/01/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

Yes even the poachers can kill them,I bet they arent carrying 500 Nitro doubles too.

Yes a thirty round magazine automatic makes up for a lack of power ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SA hunter pays $120,000 for rhino hunt [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #199420 - 14/01/12 01:32 PM

I've changed the thread title so people who are blinded by big $$$ numbers aren't any more.

Its a lot for a individual hunt, but not really that much.

Hopefully it helps fund anti-poaching operations in some of the parks for a good number of years.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SA hunter pays $120,000 for rhino hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #199536 - 15/01/12 11:58 PM

Some primitive minds probably imagine it differently ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Powdersmoke
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/11
Loc: Pine Town Natal South Africa
      #199642 - 16/01/12 07:23 PM

I don't post here very often, but I read religiously, but I had to comment on this one, and try and shed some light. This will NOT be a canned hunt, this animal will either be hunted in Hluhluwe Imfolozi, or Mkuze reserve (national park, these are massive areas of land, not farms.) Every year Ezemvel Kzn Wildlife auctions animals at an annual auction (either live, or hunt packages)in May, this has been happening for about 35 years, and is nothing new. Both of these reserves were influential in saving the white rhino from extinction. We are now reaching the point in South Africa where the available saleable rhino outnumber the areas that they can be relocated to. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with hunting WILD rhino in areas that the carrying capacity can no longer carry them, in fact, quite the reverse, it puts much needed funds back into conservation in this country, much of which allows overseas hunters to hunt high quality animals here in South Africa, a lot of the trophy animals that are hunted in this country are bred from stock bought from National Parks. This is not a dig at anybody on the forum, but after reading a few articles on canned hunting, the whole country seems to get painted with the same brush. Those of you that have hunted here, know that this is not the case, those of you that haven't, please do not draw conclusions from a few random articles, hunting practices here have had a bad rap from this type of thing, we as hunters HATE (this is a strong word that I am using to make my point) this type of hunting set up, and believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of ethical hunters here frown on this practice as much as you all do.

Regards.

Powdersmoke

--------------------
There can never be too much gun........

Powdersmoke
.224 member

Re: SA hunter pays $120,000 for rhino hunt [Re: Powdersmoke]
      #199644 - 16/01/12 07:29 PM

Our new advertising strategy for discouraging rhino poaching .......

enjoy!

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #199648 - 16/01/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

Our new advertising strategy for discouraging rhino poaching .......

enjoy!

Now that is great !

Could work to , would in the Congo !!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199649 - 16/01/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

I don't post here very often, but I read religiously, but I had to comment on this one, and try and shed some light. This will NOT be a canned hunt, this animal will either be hunted in Hluhluwe Imfolozi, or Mkuze reserve (national park, these are massive areas of land, not farms.) Every year Ezemvel Kzn Wildlife auctions animals at an annual auction (either live, or hunt packages)in May, this has been happening for about 35 years, and is nothing new. Both of these reserves were influential in saving the white rhino from extinction. We are now reaching the point in South Africa where the available saleable rhino outnumber the areas that they can be relocated to. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with hunting WILD rhino in areas that the carrying capacity can no longer carry them, in fact, quite the reverse, it puts much needed funds back into conservation in this country, much of which allows overseas hunters to hunt high quality animals here in South Africa, a lot of the trophy animals that are hunted in this country are bred from stock bought from National Parks. This is not a dig at anybody on the forum, but after reading a few articles on canned hunting, the whole country seems to get painted with the same brush. Those of you that have hunted here, know that this is not the case, those of you that haven't, please do not draw conclusions from a few random articles, hunting practices here have had a bad rap from this type of thing, we as hunters HATE (this is a strong word that I am using to make my point) this type of hunting set up, and believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of ethical hunters here frown on this practice as much as you all do.

Regards.

Powdersmoke

Well said. You need to post more too.

I have said the same thing, from my armchair, about the Tiger reserves of India. How selling just one tiger for a million dollars (real money) a year, would do more for conservation, anti poaching, less need for thousands of tourists and hundreds of vehicles a day in the parks etc.

Good to see Southern African wildlife conservation still follows the sustainable conservation practices.

If the white rhino is accustomed to humans not being a threat, maybe not a challenging hunt?, but no different to a hunter in 1850 perhaps hunting the same species.

Thanks again for the post and info.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Powdersmoke
.224 member

#199687 - 17/01/12 01:59 AM

John, these rhino are completely wild, they breed in the wild live in the wild, and are generally auctioned on catalogue (ie. you pay, they dart and transport, you pay more), the rhino that will be hunted will be a guaranteed wild rhino in one of the hunting concession areas, this hunt will have been purchased by a PH, and sold to his client, there is NO hunting without licensed, registered PH's in National Parks. (I speak from experience, I have guided clients in Mkuze (Mkuze 40 000 hectares, Hluhluwe Imfolozi 96 000 hectares), it was a wonderful experience) Things are getting better here wrt. concession hunting, now all we have to do is to get everyone to agree to let us thin down the ele's in Kruger with clients, and that will bring a sh!tload of money into nature conservation, thanks to our green friends, we are now ONLY about 6000 over the carrying capacity, oh well, it was a great place once, pity there will be nothing left of the vegetation when my daughter wants to take her kids there ....... as I said, things are GETTING better, the green people seem to think that it is better to starve elephants to death, than humanely kill them, and the proceeds (money & meat) go to conservation, and the local communities.

I worked with the campfire project in Botswana which works on that principle, it works, everyone wins.

Powdersmoke.

--------------------

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#199696 - 17/01/12 02:53 AM

Powdersmoke: I've been on all three of those properties, and they are, indeed, huge. Thank you for setting the record straight on this. As NitroX said, please feel free to post here more often.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5090

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com