Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tanzania pictures (updated)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Tanzania pictures (updated)
      #18946 - 05/09/04 02:08 AM

The Masai seen below are from the area near Lake Natron in northern Tanzania. We found the Masai up here to be less "touristified" then in other areas of Tanzania, most likely because they are more isolated. And for an understandable reason; the track to get up to lake Natron really suck! Thus, not many tour operators go up that way.
The good thing up there is that navigation is quite simple. The mountains, and dormant volcanos are seperated by vast plains, and thus you easily find your way by driving over the plains and taking a right or left turn at this and that particular mountain. Regardless of tracks. We did this on our way back from the lake since the track we were on disapeared, and therefore came upon several villages that we hadn't been aware of by mistake. It's an area well worth visiting.

The main reason to go to Lake Natron is not really to see the lake, which by the way is filled with pink flamingos, but to climb up Ol Doinyo Lengai, a live volcano that is veiwed as a god by the Masai. It might not look steep from this angle, but believe me, it is on the far right side where you climb/crawl up! The volcano is made of Carbonate, Which is why they can produce natron from Lake Natron, below the volcano. The downside of this substance is that the ash layer covering the sides is crystalized in some places, and thus very sharp, ripping the soles of your boots up, not to mention your hands when crawling on all 4... Where it wasn't sharp, it was so loose that you'd slide 2 steps back for every step up! Because of the high temperature in this area, and the higher temp in the crater itself during the day, you have to start climbing at midnight. This should get you to the top by sunrise, at least if you're in reasonably good shape.
The amazing thing up in the crater is that there's lots of "mini craters" bubbling up lava. It's glowing red in the dark and you have to be a bit carefull so you don't get hit by any of the globs that get spit out. Once daylight came, we saw that we had mistakenly walked right in an area where lots of football sized globs landed... When dawn broke, the red glowing lava turned black, and at this hour it was actually quite cold. The only heat available was to sit next to the black lava to warm up! The lava we are next to in the pictures was about 8-9 hours old, with a continous flow out in the middle.

The lion and leopard pictures below are from the western corridor of the Serengetti. An area we enjoyed a lot. We didn't see more than a couple of other cars while there unlike the eastern side, which is closer to Ngorogoro. We have never been in an area with such a dense lion population as the western corridor. The Leopard was resting in a tree we drove by, and after a while he decided to get down and stalk a herd of gazelle. Unfortunatly for him (and us) they caught on to what was going on, and he didn't get anything.

]

This elephant has probably been seen by some of you in the Ngorogoro crater. It's an interesting place, but I personally feel that they let in too many vehicle per day, and it can be a bit crowded. We saw a couple of elephant there of this size, and one came up to the crater rim that night to visit us! Here's a bit I snipped from our website that my wife wrote:

"Camping that night was at the public campsite on the crater rim. We parked our car close to the edge of the forest and went to bed early. A few hours later I woke from a loud strange noice, like VERY loud burping and farting. I soon realised that a HUGE elephant was eating next to our tent. A wave of elephant fart drifted into the tent, nearly choking us, as it was fired directly through the window from only 2-3 meters away! Although Erik accused me of being the origin of the foul noise and smell... Unfortunatly, an overlander truck was parked not far from us and they were holding a flashlight on him for a long time. This made the elefant a bit uncomfortable (me even more) and you could see he didn't like it. After a while he kept on eating and hung around our tent for hours until a new elefant turned up. His trunk was all over the tent sniffing and he continued farting all the time! Elephant fart this close up for an extended lenth of time is not very pleasant... Then the next came and did the same. I was just terrified even though I knew they were used to people there. I didn't sleep much that night, Erik, on the other hand, went back to sleep after a short while and was soon snoring and having sweet dreams!"

One must realize that our roof-top tent was perfect hight for the elephant to look in, which he did for quite some time. To be honost, I couldn't see an ounce of anythiing kind or gentle in this elephants orange red eyes... This, combined with him brushing his trunk all over the tent to sniff was not something my wife enjoyed much as you read above!

It later struck me that we had been eating a mango while up on the roofrack that evening, and this might have been what got him interested.

Erik D.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tanzania pictures (updated) [Re: EricD]
      #19030 - 06/09/04 11:40 PM

Eric

I like your Tanzania photos. They remind me of some of the things I saw there too.

Please tell us about them. (edited: thanks )

PS You tricky fellow. You added extras in there I didn't see before.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (07/09/04 12:57 AM)

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #19032 - 07/09/04 12:50 AM

I'd been hunting in Lake Natron area. Is a nice place to hunt a fringe-eared Oryx, some nice Grants, Tommies and one of the best places in Africa to try a Mountain Buffalo.

Nice pictures, of course .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

EricD
.416 member

Re: Tanzania pictures (updated) [Re: 470Nitro]
      #19034 - 07/09/04 12:54 AM

470Nitro,

Where was that you hunted compaired to the lake? East/south/west? It's a great area.

Erik D.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #19046 - 07/09/04 04:37 AM

En respuesta a:

Where was that you hunted compaired to the lake?

The camp was SE from the lake. We could see the Kilimanjaro mount from the camp some clear mornings. I'll be back some day 'cos I miss there a Gerenuk and a striped hyena .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Tanzania pictures (updated) [Re: 470Nitro]
      #19105 - 10/09/04 12:57 AM

Erik

Did you outfit your Landrover internally as well? I mean by this I have seen and also heard of some Landrovers in Africa where they were kitted out with extensive compartments, drawers etc in the back. For mobile camping with everyting extremely well organised and in its place. The boxy shapes of Landrovers lend themselves to this.

Always planned something similar for my Landcruiser but it never seems to be the same as a Landrover for such a modification.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

Re: Tanzania pictures (updated) [Re: NitroX]
      #19109 - 10/09/04 03:01 AM

John,

Internally, behind the front seats (we had no rear seats), we used Zarges aluminium dust proof boxes to store cloths, tools, dry foods, various equipment etc. All in all we had 7 large Zarges boxs, 4 smaller Zarges boxs, 5 x 20 liter plastic water jerrycans, 5 x 20 liter diesel jerry cans, a 20 liter jerrycan of motor oil, an Engel 30 liter fridge, and 11 kilo fiberglass propane bottle, plus a few soft backpacks which we used when hiking, shopping etc. We also made 3 netting hammocks that hung from one side to the other. These were used to store veggies/fruit or other simular things that needed to breath. One of the other ones was fastend right behind us, and used to keep various often used things, like a camera, maps that were in use, binos, and snacks when we had them...
In the lockable cubby box between the front seats we kept things like our passports, vehicle documents and other valubles. The biggest problem was stashing money for such a long period of time. Let me just say that you just about had to be a LR mechanic to find the hiding places

All the gear in the rear was fastend with rachet straps to rings bolted thru the floor, which was very important for the off road driving conditions we often had. It would have been suicide to not have everything bolted down.

We could in an emergency sleep in the back ontop of the caes, and did so in a terrible sandstorm in Mauritania. The down side was that it only gave us a little over a foot of space up to the ceiling, and was quite hot... Next time (most likely by myself), I'm going to skip the roof top tent, which was nice for us travelling as a couple, and do the sleeping set up differently. I'd leave a lot of un-needed stuff, which we found out during the trip was just a waste of space, and added weight, and then I'd build a sleeping platform inside the car, with the possiblity to sleep on the roof rack with just a mozzy net. Basically, my needs alone are a little bit more basic then when with my wife (even though her needs were more basic than 99.9% of the western population!).

Erik D.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #19117 - 10/09/04 02:17 PM

Beautiful photos (except for the ladies) and a very attractive elephant. Keep them coming!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#19122 - 10/09/04 02:45 PM

Eric

Thanks for the vehicle outfitting comments. The trouble with all these cases/boxes is having to take them all in and out to get at things.

In reply to:

This elephant has probably been seen by some of you in the Ngorogoro crater. It's an interesting place

I did recognize that spot in Ngorongoro Crater. There is a large one tusked elephant that hangs about there too.

Does anyone know the weight of that elephant's ivory?

In reply to:

After a while he kept on eating and hung around our tent for hours until a new elefant turned up. His trunk was all over the tent sniffing and he continued farting all the time! Elephant fart this close up for an extended lenth of time is not very pleasant... Then the next came and did the same.

Next time don't camp in the elephants favourite farting spot.

In reply to:

It later struck me that we had been eating a mango while up on the roofrack that evening, and this might have been what got him interested.

You are lucky he didn't rip your tent and vehicle apart. This happened to a French couple in Ambroselli when the elephants smelt food in their car.

(PS 500grains - Eric's wife is a Norwegian cutey !!! )
(PPS 500grains - I know you aren't referring to her in your comment ha ha)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

#19129 - 10/09/04 10:12 PM

John,

The cases were set up in a system of differant layers depending on the contents and how often they were needed. For example, most of the tools and spares were on the bottom, keeping the weight low, and they would naturally only be needed every so often. The same with our reserve air compressor for example, and the water filter (we filtered 100 liters at a time). The most used stuff like food and cloths were on top. It worked out pretty well, and believe me, you appreciate having a few dust free things while driving around in africa for a year!

The mango skins and pits that were left after eating were disposed of far away. Most likely just a few drops of juice dripped down when we were munching on them... Not much is needed with the well tuned smell of elephants. We were even more carefull after the elephant farting episode when in other elephant areas. For example, we skipped buying any citrus fruits before going into parks.

Erik D.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#58268 - 04/06/06 05:47 AM

Chanced upon this thread yesterday during a search and always enjoyed it when it was posted. So thought it was worth another viewing in the "current" files.

I'm jealous of the leopard photos however. Still have to even see one in the wild myself, let alone excellent photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

#58364 - 06/06/06 05:45 AM

Another leopard picture for you John.

EricD
.416 member

#58368 - 06/06/06 06:17 AM

A typical Serengetti sunset:

And a local Masai bar up near Lake Natron. As there is no electricity there, the beer was more than just a little warm!

Erik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 2704

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com