Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE
      #189166 - 04/09/11 05:22 AM

I understand that this is one of the few rare original made Gibbs rifle's in 505 Gibbs

** GEORGE GIBBS
A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. B7363,
28 1/8in. nitro barrel engraved 'GEORGE GIBBS. BRISTOL & 35. SAVILE ROW. LONDON. W.', and 'F.L. POULLEY', block-mounted open sights with two folding leaf sights for 100, 200 and 300 yards, block-mounted bead foresight with folding hood, matt top receiver ring, Mauser action with thumb cutout, hinged straddle floorplate with push button release, pistolgrip stock with steel pistolgrip-cap, sling eyes, gold escutcheon engraved 'MAJOR P.F. BROMFIELD.',13in. pull including 1in. rubber recoil pad

Provenance: This rifle was formerly owned by Major Patrick Francis Bromfield, M.C. of Rhodesia.

He was born 26th December 1916 in England where he was schooled before going to the agricultural college at Cirencester. He then moved to Rhodesia and began his army career with the Southern Rhodesian Land Forces in 1936 before being seconded to the Indian Army with the 4th Prince of Wales Own Gurkha Rifles.

He spent a deal of the war fighting the Japanese in Burma and was awarded the Military Cross in 1942 (when an acting Captain) for repeated display of dash and leadership in the face of a numerically superior foe.

He returned to Rhodesia after the war and became a hunter and conservationist of some note. In 1949 he formed his own safari company 'Safari Afloat' on Lake Tanganyika with a later venture based on the Zambesi river. He was to become Chief Game Warden for the Bechuanaland Government and was also responsible for creating the Chobe Game Reserve in 1960.

A friend of his wrote the following obituary following his death on 23rd March 2007.

"'Bromo' joined the 1st Battalion in Wana, moved with it to Burma via mobilisation in Secunderabad. He was with the battalion during the desperate times of the First Burma Campaign and took part in the longest fighting retreat in British history over some 1,000 miles of the most terrible terrain, cut off from any possible help or reinforcement, short of ammunition and food. At the Sittang bridgehead Bromo commanded one of the two companies that held the bridgehead until the ammunition ran out and the bridge was blown up by our Sappers. General Lunt records "the first fourth [sic] Gurkhas fought like hell to save the day, but in the end were unable to do so". Later when the remnants of our division withdrew from Pegu, Bromo with Dicky was part of our force, which was cut off and spent 3-4 days fighting its way out from behind the Jap lines. During that episode they successfully resisted what is believed to be the large cavalry charge in India.

Bromo won his M.C. for his great bravery and superb organisation in setting up an ambush behind the Jap lines where, with the help of a water-cooled Vickers machine gun we 'retrieved' from Rangoon, he and his company accounted for some 400 Japanese dead, who were caught unawares in close column. Bromo's Company suffered no casualties whatsoever. The Regiment has lost one of its most outstanding Officers and I have lost a very dear comrade."
Estimate £7,000-9,000
http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...p;t=887334&

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (26/11/11 11:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE [Re: lancaster]
      #189168 - 04/09/11 05:47 AM

5 to 9 thousand pounds? It will fetch more than that.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE [Re: bonanza]
      #189169 - 04/09/11 05:52 AM

Bonanza, I think you might be right, very rare and a provenance ! Lets see what it hits, best, Mike

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #189175 - 04/09/11 07:24 AM

What am amazing previous owner P.F. Bromfield was. More like a real life Boys Own Adventure. I wonder if there is a biography ?

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE [Re: tophet1]
      #189189 - 04/09/11 09:22 AM

Burma, the forgotten campaign.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A SCARCE .505 GIBBS BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE [Re: kamilaroi]
      #189196 - 04/09/11 02:22 PM

That gun has come up for sale before over the years.

But you are 100% correct, one of the rare 39.

It should fetch more than that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6582

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com