Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: flavors from the C.A.R.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
flavors from the C.A.R.
      #188389 - 23/08/11 11:12 PM

A nice video of Orchape's last season.

This is the camp of Safaria outfitter in the North of CAR, a place where elephants tend to gather to escape poachers from the Suddan.

safaria camp

Derby elands Safaria

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: flavors from the C.A.R. [Re: larcher]
      #188399 - 24/08/11 02:17 AM

JB my friend,

Good to hear from you.

When are heading back to Africa?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

larcher
.416 member

Re: flavors from the C.A.R. [Re: NitroX]
      #188555 - 25/08/11 11:54 PM

Hi John

I take advantage of vacations on the riviera to post a bit as currently I working my arse raw for less incomes.

As You know the last time I and my cousin Luc hunted in Africa Luc got squashed by an elephant. Afterwards he has to have aorta surgery (not linked to jumbo but genetic). It resulted that he was not fit enough to hunt in Africa.
Nonetheless, he can’t be deprived from Africa hunting and booked for a Namibia hunt in a French 20 000ha ranch fenced on 3 sides and open on the last quarter. Along were 3 pals of him.
They were forewarned that season was bad for kudu.
You know that in the French nature booze and eating are up on the list. They brought more booze in weight that rifles and ammos. The first days they managed so well that they drank their whole stock of Ricard (uzo), wines and Mirabelle (first rate plum alcohol made by Luc).
Luc shot gold medals (??????????) trophies only : gemsbock (oryx), blesbock and springbock. As a Frenchmen he was eager to shoot a record boar, but no wart hogs were worth the shooting. He dismissed eland as his Derby eland trophy is towering any in Namibia. He spent a nice vacation with his mischevious pals.
All considered, though tremendously enjoying new terrain, he was disappointed for at least 2 main reasons :
1) No spooring stalking at all. Just roaming with the Toyota, spotting from a kopie and approaching the odd 1 or 2 miles, period.
2) Visiting the town he was shocked with shops offering nazi flags and Mein Kampf. As you know 90% of our family was wiped off during WWI and II. Luc’s grandfather was shot in the belly by Nazis and let sustaining a 3 days lingering death. Luc has no tender spot for Nazis. No flies on Germans, Luc managed a company in Germany during 4 years and took advantage of girlies and beer contests there. I gave him a “hand” but was no match.
Namibia, a clean and well organized country was for him sort of dull and uneventful hunt.
What’s good is that now Luc is pressing me to book for again for an adrenaline packed hunt, as I unintentionally did in the past :
Burkina : I provided him with fending off girls from entering his bungalow at night, having successful Ricard, champagne, wine and beer contests with other hunters, stalking wounded buffs in tall grass, hunting lion in even more tall and dense grass, stealing prey from feeding lion, pestering eles, repelling eles at the waterhole lunch by setting the bush ablaze,
CAR: flying with mother drunk pilots, evading crocs when hunting the swamps, playing hide and tag with mean Sudanese poachers, being stung by anophela, tse tse, microscopic gnats, scorpions, spiders and siafu ants, evading wounded buffs and eles in dense jungle, in Bangui dodging hold ups and aids riden maiden knocking at the hotel doors
Zimbabwe : shadowing eles non stop at 10-20m, and escaping (more or less) their truculent bullying.
In fact we need adventures more than trophies.
Belgian Congo could be perfect. We share the same language and weird animals are present if not aplenty. But anywhere we are doomed against their firepower and so many diseases (lepra, sleeping fever, haemoraggic fevers….) not safe at all, though a real unique experience.
We stick to Zimbabwe with Buzz and Myles in 2012 summer.
More interesting is that our friend Tristan Peacock, master of hounds for leopard hunting, is back on business. As you know in 2009 our excellent American friend and bowhunter, Dan Hunsaker, who has got most of the possible trophies on the 5 continents, included the big 5, didn’t perform with us in Mozambique, though he displayed a tremendous dedication and ethics. Mainly for the fun of being together, we consider hunting whooping leopards with Tristan in Zim, Zam or Bot as a leg to a hunting trip with Buzz and Myles for mainly an ele bull again with bow and arrow. That also can cure Luc’s indigestion of flirting with ill inclined elephants. Marginally we so far haven’t got a sable or kudu trophy.
As a training we have booked a November hunting of Chamois in the Pyrenees mountain and moufflon in the Alps mountains. It presupposes a daily 1500-2000m difference of altitude, loaded with 20 pounds of rifle, ammo, binoc, scope, sandwiches and extra clothes during 5 days.
We better move our asses as we are flirting with 60 years old and time isn’t on our side.
Life is good
Jb

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: flavors from the C.A.R. [Re: larcher]
      #188556 - 26/08/11 12:26 AM

JB

A very entertaining post of crazy Frenchmen like usual.

Good luck for Zimbabwe 2012. Is it another elephant bowhunt?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

larcher
.416 member

Re: flavors from the C.A.R. [Re: NitroX]
      #188622 - 26/08/11 07:09 PM

Yes John

Basically it'll be an ele bull bowhunt and I also wish to hunt with Dan Hunsaker and Tristan a big leopard with the bow and arrow. Could be tricky to arrange with Buzz and Tristan for a 2 legs trip, or even 3 legs as we look for 2 leopard toms.

About bowhunting elephant, I would prefer (as I attempted in vain) to hunt 2 ele cows. Buzz is clearly reluctant; he estimates that cows are more and more aggressive and if a rifle hunter can cope with the bitches, not so with the bow.
Bowhunting requires a stealthy close approach at 10-20m. The closer, the more certainty of dramatic arrow penetration.
To achieve a close and stealthy approach one requires a particular setting : bush enough to be hidden, not too noisy a ground (especially difficult in Winter (June - September) when dry leaves and twigs littered the ground), a steady wind (not so in Winter, wind whirling), a herd as small as possible for less eyes and ears probing, as few calves as possible as they rendered cows irremediably crazy.
Taking advantage of the bush is a hindrance, too much grass and branches that can deflect the arrow.
Consequently one can approach cows only in open bush. Chance of a charge is then maximal and sure the bow is the last rig to choose for stopping a resolute charge.
All this considered, Buzz is adamant for opting for an ele bull, bulls being far less aggressive and often alone or a threesome at worst.
That considerably explodes the budget : a cow is costing 2 000+$, a bull 12 000+$.
That also changes the unfolding of the hunt. Cows' herds are noisy and easy to spot, let alone the evident spooring. No trophy coveted so one can shoot any handy cow, should the setting being reasonably safe.
Not so with bulls. One has to stalk a good print and check. If the ivory isn't satisfying, let's go for another good spoor and so on. Always pondering whether shooting or not, if a possible better ivory is possible. That entails extensive spooring and stalking, passing middle good to good trophies in the hope of a whooper. This way you can end the safari in shooting the last day a less than decent bull and badly regretting the good ones you let alone. You also can shoot the first decent trophy and afterwards when seeing whooper regret your impatience.
Add that the approach is tricky with a bow, it requires to close to 10-20m of the bull, and in most of the case, if it's an easy shot with the rifle, it's mostly botched with the bow as the bull detects the hunters and run to next county.
My interpretation is also that Buzz isn’t eager to shoot scores of charging cows. When it occurs, he has to demonstrate the administration (with the help of the scout and the filming) that it happened in self-defense and that the charge wasn’t triggered on purpose.???? Worst, the expensive hunting day is killed, no chance to keep on happily hunting the rest of the day.

And leopard bowhunting is radical different story.

And leopard bowhunting is another story.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1414

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com