Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
An enjoyable Saturday afternoon.
      #186397 - 23/07/11 11:47 PM

One of my customers works on a large property, about an hour from my place and he invited me out there for a bit of Pig and Goat hunting when his job was finished.
I brought his repaired rifle up with me today and we met at the prearranged spot.
He was to be the guide and so we went out in his vehicle. It was hard to take, being the passenger. He even brought his 15yo son along to open the gates!
We were driving past the old Rabbit trapper’s hut, when the first pig was sighted, just standing in the dead thistles and watching us drive past.
I jumped out, loaded up and went looking for it, but it disappeared into the Blackberry patch. I was asked what I was using and how much ammo I had. When told that I had only brought 11 rounds, my host said “Gee, you’re not much fun”
My guide had spied some more pigs about 150yds away, so we prepared to stalk them. I was carrying my Vergueiro 7x57 loaded with Barnes 140g TSX’s and I was eager to see how they would perform on game, as they are quite accurate in this rifle.
I spied a large black pig at about 70m and took an off hand shot at it’s chest. It ran around in a circle and I could see blood on its flank. We got closer and I gave it another in the brisket, but it still didn’t fall over. My host fired the coup de grace with his 44Mag Marlin and it fell over this time.
These bloody expensive bullets were hitting where aimed, but just sailing straight through like solids! Unbelievable!!

We discussed the dubious merits of these bullets and after taking a photo , we drove to the back of the block, where we came on a good mob of Goats and after driving around and down wind, I prepared to stalk them.
At one stage I was crawling on my hands and knees through the dead thistles to get close enough and I’m still picking the thorns out of my skin.
I was about to fire on the goats that I could see, at 80m away, when I saw some more coming towards me at only 25m. I picked out a nice young billy and shot it through the shoulders.
Goats, being as they are, milled around at the shot and I knocked another bigger billy over. The sound of the shots was echoing off the far hills and the goats panicked and all raced towards me. All I had to do was load and fire. I got another two before they woke up and bolted for the hills.
I was rapt. This time the bullets seemed to perform as they should and dropped the goats on the spot, but it seems that they have to hit bone to work properly.

My host drove up and we got some photos and took the meat.

We then drove up onto a hill top and followed an old track that would take us back down to the main track. More goats were found, but we left them, as we were looking for some more pigs. We saw some on the next hill and there was one feeding on the short green grass beside the track we were on.
I stalked to within about 50m of it and gave it a Texas heart shot. It went down squealing and thrashing and was dead by the time I got to it. The bullet had gone through the spine, just above the tail and didn’t exit. YooHoo! I was having a ball.

More pictures were taken, then we headed home, as the light was fading on a very enjoyable afternoon.

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: AFRO408]
      #186399 - 24/07/11 12:08 AM

Nice work Afro well done, did you keep the pork or is it a bit suspect in your area?

Regards

MOG

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: Cinghiale]
      #186400 - 24/07/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Nice work Afro well done, did you keep the pork or is it a bit suspect in your area?

It is my understanding that pork almost everywhere is subject to trichinosis. The only exception of which I am aware is prosciutto crudo, the raw ham produced in Italy. For this product, the hogs are raised in carefully controlled conditions. Trichinosis may be encountered from eating other under-cooked meats, particularly wild meats. Bear meat is especially likely to contain the parasite that is responsible for trichinosis.

Is there some other problem with wild pork that occurs in your area?

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: Tatume]
      #186420 - 24/07/11 07:46 AM

Well done Tony. I've got some 140 Sierra SptBt's you can have

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: tophet1]
      #186424 - 24/07/11 08:29 AM

A pleasant afternoon was had by all. Your rifle and load proved it's worth but as you said it can be expensive fun but you can't take the $$ with you but the fun and good times will last forever.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #186427 - 24/07/11 11:23 AM

Quote:

Well done Tony. I've got some 140 Sierra SptBt's you can have

ditto, you just cannot beat Sierras in any of the 7mms, 140gr SBT in the smaller and 160gr SBT in the magnums. They outperform in all departments any other I've tried, but then wouldn't life be boring if we didn't have any others.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: eagle27]
      #186428 - 24/07/11 12:39 PM

G'day Tatume,

In some areas there is a problem with TB which prevents the animals being eaten. This occurs up here in the NT which is a problem, I was not sure of Tony's area thats why I asked, it seems to be more in the N of Australia that it's a concern.

Regards,

MOG

AFRO408
.333 member

#186429 - 24/07/11 01:07 PM

Thanks fellas,

I did take some of the Kid I shot, but not the wild boar, as we have limited freezer space.

I've eaten lots of wild boar from this area as well as from SW Qld, but I wouldn't eat any from the tropics, because of the TB.
I always cook it well to be sure and my father taught me years ago how to look for parasitic infection in wild meat. If anything looks suspect it's left for the Eagles.
The pigs on this place were glossy and in peak health. Next time I'll sample some.

--------------------

AFRO408
.333 member

#186436 - 24/07/11 03:10 PM

Thanks John,
I just had a look in the cupboard and I have a full pack of Sierra 150g SPBT's and an old full pack of 154g Hornady SP Interlock.
One of those will probably be next on the list.

Tony

--------------------

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #186439 - 24/07/11 03:24 PM

Real good, Tony!

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #186450 - 24/07/11 04:28 PM

Quote:

G'day Tatume,

In some areas there is a problem with TB which prevents the animals being eaten. This occurs up here in the NT which is a problem, I was not sure of Tony's area thats why I asked, it seems to be more in the N of Australia that it's a concern.

Regards,

MOG

From memory AQIS and State depts have guides to recognise the diseases in situ. Brucellosis = TB and Trichinosis can be seen in liver and perhaps other organs.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: kamilaroi]
      #186472 - 24/07/11 10:54 PM

Yep by cutting open the liver and the lungs too you can tell. I am not 100% on the lungs bit unless it is super obvious.

Good work again Tony,

Love the hat BTW!

AFRO408
.333 member

#186497 - 25/07/11 08:33 AM

Thanks man.
I've got a mate who is in the Reserves ( he's up playing with the Yanks at the moment ) who gets me a few things from the Five Finger Disposal Store, from time to time.

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #186499 - 25/07/11 10:18 AM

When I was a youngster back on the family farm in Michigan 1 lot of pigs started getting sick. The local vet came out and killed one of the sick runts and opened it up. He looked at the diaphram with a magnifying glass. He showed us lot'sa little white circles and said that was the culprit. Some sort of parasite that lodged there and it would kill them. So we shot the entire pen to keep it from the others. IIRC it was Trichinosis, but that was many mons ago and I'm not 100% sure anymore.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #186541 - 26/07/11 01:02 AM

AFRO,

Thanks for the short story and photos. I'm missing my hunting at the moment, as not much a close drive away. Enjoyed your story.

The skin on this billy looked like it would have been worth keeping as a rug. Horns are OK too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: NitroX]
      #186805 - 29/07/11 12:04 PM

I like the man
Practices and preaches what he builds
Enjoy ,Tony. Glad you had a good time
How do I get a shirt like yours?

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: eljefedouble]
      #186810 - 29/07/11 01:31 PM

the vergueiro is a dandy rifle, isnt it
my own project have allready start

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: lancaster]
      #187132 - 02/08/11 11:27 PM

Hi Tony.
I missed this one mate.
Well done and take more ammo next time !!!!!

A mate just took 500 grain TSX's in his 458 Lott to Africa for Cape Buff and one never openened up at all on a Water Buck.
You could load it and shoot it again. I will get a photo when I can.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: An enjoyable Saturday afternoon. [Re: FATBOY404]
      #187143 - 03/08/11 04:42 AM

A really nice story, I enjoyed a lot reading it. Well done!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com