Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Orvar
.300 member

Reged: 31/12/08
Loc: London, UK
PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau)
      #185674 - 12/07/11 08:03 AM

Date: 30 June – 9 July 2011
Outfitter: S&S Safaris (Namibia)
PH Buzz: Willem Serfontein
Species Taken: Oryx, Springbok, Warthog, Blue Wildebeest… Girlfriend (more later on that)
Species Not Taken: Brown Hyena

Have recently returned from a great trip with my girlfriend (now fiancé) to the Waterberg Plateau region of Namibia. This was my girlfriend’s first safari and our goal was really for her to hunt some PG and get a feel for Africa.

Flying to Namibia was a bit of a pain the way we did it (Paris –> JoBurg –> Windhoek); next time, might try the route through Frankfurt, as a 2hr layover is not really enough time, even having bought the “through-ticket” (which means no change of terminal and everything is supposed to be handled – which it was not). In any event, we made it, both ways, which as OK. The drive from Windhoek out to the Waterberg is really amazing, and with the arrival in Windhoek early afternoon, the drive was done during the dusk hours, with lots of animals lining the road in the various farms passed along the way.

The house we stayed in was very nice and well appointed. Very much what I was hoping for in this first safari for her (no sneaking off to the toilet in the night with a flashlight… and the game-scout not far behind…)

Right off the bat, first morning out, we went to the range to check the zero on the rifles… and no kidding, this is what we saw (see targets in background…)

We got right to it the first morning, with a nice spot & stalk into her first Oryx, a very nice and heavy male, which she put down with a very well-placed shot.

We spent the rest of the day walking and driving around the place looking for a Warthog, but didn’t find what we were looking for. Very beautiful though

We also spent time during the day scanning roads and known “hang-outs” for Brown Hyena tracks, and having come across some, we started “ringing the dinner bell”

The following day, still out looking for her Warthog, which we didn’t find, we did come across a super old bull Oryx, which after a nice one hour stalk took. Great afternoon and everything I love about hunting in Africa.

Saw some nice animals in the evening as well.

Next day, early morning came across a nice Blue Wildebeest, which had been on my “wish list” for the trip.

Notice the Bavarian Mountain Hound, patiently sitting next to “his” Wildebeest? We had started to walk off to get the truck, and she just stayed there patiently. Great dog the whole trip! That breed is great. My girlfriend has wanted one for a year now, and looks like we finally may be getting one in the very near future.

Spent some time in a blind, looking for a good Warthog (who know this would be this difficult to find…) and we saw other animals

This does not look comfortable!

And this was plain rude (look @ the tongue)…

Also, we were quite amused to see a number of very young Oryx, born probably only a few weeks before. Quite interesting: Oryx are the only animal born with their horns already out; this one was no more than 2 weeks old.

Anyway, we’re now about halfway through the trip, and having bought the engagement rings (yes rings, she is Swedish, and the tradition is the other way around, with “the rock” only being presented on the day) a week before the trip, it was time to pop the question. I’ll spare all you big softies the details, but under the African stars, she said yes. How could I not: she’s been on quite a few hunting trips and never complained about the sub-zero temps and rain, nor the hours spent in blinds; she passed her Swedish hunting exam, and was doing really well in Africa… a keeper in my book.

Now, the next day, that done, it was back out to the velt…

And, having found some promising Brown Hyena tracks, we started getting ready to sit for her (yes, based on track size)

We also finally were able to get two Warthogs, one each, which were not big, but fun and we both enjoyed our stalks into them

Now, that evening, we started to sit @ around 4:00pm, thinking that on this first night we’d not have a great chance, but I was quite excited, never having seen a Brown Hyena before. And, at about 6:45, just as the last light was almost gone, while just chatting away, she walked in… Now, this is why I love hunting so much… I was super exited (and while it’s not “buck” fever, I had it bad…). We were pushing the limit of the light, and I thought / had been told that they were quite skittish… and I screwed it up! I took an iffy shot, which I thought was only through a few blades of long grass, but was actually “through” a heavy bush. Needless to say, it went about two yards high, and the Hyena was gone. Now, I was super upset with myself as I usually don’t rush shots at all, but I did it. It was a mistake, and I paid for it. But, it’s also why I still love hunting so much… still gets my blood pumping.

Anyway, we sat the rest of the evenings, but never did get another one to come in. I great reason to go back though, as would definitely like to hunt Brown Hyena again, as well as Cheetah (which we didn’t see a single one during our stay – although the previous group did…).

We had to go to another farm for the Springbok, and ended up having a really lovely early-morning stalk into a good ram. A very happy huntress with probably the animal she was most interested in hunting during the trip.

All in all, we had a great trip. Magda and Willem, along with the whole team, were great and made the eight days super enjoyable and relaxing, all the while providing some great time in the velt and lovely animals. This is definitely a great first African trip for a new hunter, and I obviously should calm down too… A memorable trip on so many levels. And I came out of it with engaged to a wonderful woman, and hunter to boot.

… oh, and she had already agree to spend our honeymoon on safari, so while I get pounded with questions about flower-arrangements, menu selections, and bridesmaids’ issues… I will be planning our next trip to most probably Tanzania or Zambia (which let’s face it, is a much better use of my time).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: Orvar]
      #185675 - 12/07/11 08:33 AM

Great report and congratulations on your engagement. (A good woman is hard to find) Your photographs are exceptional.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #185677 - 12/07/11 08:36 AM

Congratulations to you both on your successful Safari, and your engagement. May you have many wonderful years together. My wife and I will be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary in October.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #185687 - 12/07/11 09:47 AM

Congratulations, and nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: Ben]
      #185689 - 12/07/11 10:48 AM

Congratulations !!! I have enjoyed many safaris with my Family through the years. I wish you many happy Safaris together.
Robert

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #185699 - 12/07/11 02:03 PM

Copngratulations - what a wonderful time & a great post!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Orvar
.300 member

Reged: 31/12/08
Loc: London, UK
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: DarylS]
      #185702 - 12/07/11 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone! We're both very happy, about the trip, as well as this new journey together.

Now: anyone got suggestions on a 14-18 day safari first 2 weeks of March? Buff, Lion (preferably not over bait - call or s&s), PG for her, and maybe something bigger with Ivory:)

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #185703 - 12/07/11 08:40 PM

Congratulations on a wonderful trip and the engagement.

Regards,

MOG

PHMadness
.275 member

Reged: 26/05/11
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: Cinghiale]
      #185716 - 13/07/11 01:57 AM

Congratulations and what an excellent trip. I have loved my time in Namibia as well.

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: PHMadness]
      #186253 - 21/07/11 08:28 PM

Congratulations for your engagement and the beautiful described hunting!

Rolf

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: Rolf]
      #186260 - 21/07/11 09:31 PM

All the best to you and yours.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: kamilaroi]
      #186326 - 22/07/11 09:58 PM

Thanks for sharing!!.

It looks to have been a great trip...Great pictures indeed!!.

I guess we hear wedden`bells soon:LOL.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: PG in Namibia (Waterberg Plateau) [Re: rigbymauser]
      #186346 - 23/07/11 03:53 AM

I am glad you enjoy Deutsch Süd West

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #186538 - 26/07/11 12:52 AM

Congratulations on your engagement. And your fiance is definitely a keeper, joining in on the hunts.

Quote:

… oh, and she had already agree to spend our honeymoon on safari, so while I get pounded with questions about flower-arrangements, menu selections, and bridesmaids’ issues… I will be planning our next trip to most probably Tanzania or Zambia (which let’s face it, is a much better use of my time).

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Zimbabwe in 1994. Pre internet days. I organised the honeymoon, while my wife organised the wedding ... good deal, hey? (actually I organised the venue, wine and booze, and vehicles though).

Tanzania or Zambia sound fantastic for the purpose.

What calibres and rifles were used on your safari?

I like this scenic photo.

What species is this? Klipspringer? Or reedbok? (I haven't got my African species book handy)

Interesting photo of a young one.

Quote:

Species Taken: Oryx, Springbok, Warthog, Blue Wildebeest… Girlfriend (more later on that)

Now EVERY client of the outfitter, will want a trophy Swedish blonde on their wish list! I won't ask what the trophy price was ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (26/07/11 12:53 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3390

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com