Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: African Self Guided Hunts ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
African Self Guided Hunts ???
      #179 - 30/12/02 12:32 AM

African Self Guided Hunts. Would you do it?

Comments.

First Previous 2-5 of 5 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Yes, In 1989 I spent 7 months in Namibia. I only ended up with one opportunity to hunt due to work restrictions but enjoyed the time I did have immensely.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Hi guys,

I think as a South-African bush junky it is a very good experience and dream of any hunter.BUT as I would like to do the same in other continents I don't think that it is very wise.The only way is to go there a few times with a pro and see how it goes and then make a very good and intense study of that continent and of huning on that continent.There is a lot of life saving things that you must know.E.g "what does a black mamba look like and how do you treat a mamba bite and where is the nearest medical facility.(not a lot of those in africa)".
And so you can ask me the same question!I'll be fool to think I'm clever and big african hunter and go to Australia and think the same thing.All I know about hunting in Oz what I saw on the movie "crocodile dundee".But Still it will be a life experience to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigfive(in Africa)...................smallfive elsewhere!!!!!!!!!

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

That sounds interesting. Working in Namibia for 7 months. What were you doing there?

Did you manage to get out and hunt on that opportunity and what results?

I'd love to hunt in Namibia oneday especially for Orix or Gemsbok. The closest I have got to Gemsbok was seeing a herd about 800 metres away when driving on a road in Botswana in 1989 but wasn't hunting.

BigFive

I agree with you a lot. Self-guided has a tremondous load of pitfalls, but people do do it. I believe it can still be done in Cameroon, Zimbabwe among others, An acquaintance of mine does it in Zimbabwe on a Zambezi block. None of the luxuries though.

Generally it is more preferable to hunt with a guide and in most cases it is the ONLY legal way. And forget about an illegal way in Africa. Not worth it at all.

And if the game hunted is some of the nasties, forget about the road blocks by police on the highways and the rest of that. You may be history in the "jungle".

If it is still around one day I would be game to give it a try. But after I get a few more hunts there under the belt definitely.Have to attend the Big Five safari training school first a few times, don't you agree?

But compare the modern day to the intrepid European of the 1800's. Got off the boat in Cape Town or Durban. Put together provisions and some helpers. Did not speak the local lingo and set off into the unknown sometimes for months at a time. Other than legal issues, access, lack of game and over population (no small issues) if those are solved its no different. Except we are using modern smokeless cartridges instead of black powder 8 bores. Many of these old timers of course got squashed, eaten or died from disease. Maybe they were more game back then.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

PS the main factor against them is cost. It is usually cheaper to pay an outfitter and have a PH do all the work and organising for you, which they are doing all season anyway, than to do it yourself.

Hire a vehicle. Obtain camping gear. Purchase supplies. Hire staff - trackers, skinners etc, maybe a cook. Need to know the area. Is the area that you've paid money for anygood? Over-run with poachers? No game? If limited time, can not scout out the countryside and game well enough. Need to judge trophies. Need to be able to deal with local authorities and requests for baksheesh. Get the trophies to the taxidermist and also back out the country. Legal documentation.

It all adds up, but some blokes still do it and I also know of one you did it in Cameroon. Virtually equivalent to an old style safari expedition.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1582

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com