Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: African Indaba - February 2011

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
African Indaba - February 2011
      #176410 - 01/03/11 06:14 PM

Welcome to the February 2011 Issue of African Indaba

Read our cutting edge hunting and conservation news from Africa online clicking at “Latest Edition” http://www.africanindaba.co.za/news.htm
Download and print your own copy of the newest African Indaba http://www.africanindaba.co.za/Archive11/AfricanIndabaVol9-1.pdf

Contents of this issue

A Plea to the Professional Hunter and Field Scientist Alike
Tanzania: Reform of the Hunting Industry in the Making
Small Atoms Can Help Saving Big Elephants
CIC Calls Hunters for Support: African Elephant Ivory Samples Needed
FAO and CIC Sign Historical Memorandum of Understanding
Palanca Negra Report from Angola
The Future of Wildlife-Based Land Uses in Botswana
Using Drop Nets to Capture Free Ranging Wildlife
The Taxonomy of African Game Animals
The Conservation Status of Lion in Tanzania
FAO-CIC Publications
Southern Sudan
The Cryptic African Wolf
Distribution Update of the Arabian Wolf (Canis lupus pallipes) from Saudi Arabia
The South African Conservation Success Story
The War on Rhinos – A Reader’s Comment

Please forward this email to your friends and colleagues. Subscription to African Indaba is free of charge and everybody can subscribe online.

The current and all old issues of African Indaba are available for downloads in the “Portable Document Format” (PDF). You require Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 5 or later to view and print the files.

African Indaba is mailed out by the CIC – International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation and its Tropical Game Commission. For more information about the CIC please go to www.cic-wildlife.org

Edited by JabaliHunter (02/03/11 01:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Powdersmoke
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/11
Loc: Pine Town Natal South Africa
Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #176416 - 01/03/11 07:07 PM

Jabali, neither of these links work for me (error 404), is the problem on my side, or is it general?

Thanks.

Powdersmoke.

--------------------
There can never be too much gun........

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: Powdersmoke]
      #176424 - 01/03/11 10:37 PM

start with this link http://www.africanindaba.co.za/

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Powdersmoke
.224 member

Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: lancaster]
      #176425 - 01/03/11 11:04 PM

Thanks Lancaster!

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #176427 - 02/03/11 01:47 AM

Sorry about that - I have now edited the links

Powdersmoke
.224 member

Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #176429 - 02/03/11 02:58 AM

Thanks Jabali, some thought provoking stuff there. As an aside, we are in the middle of the biggest, and potentially the most ugly debate at government level here in South Africa at the moment (regarding wildlife/management), that of problem animal control ie. jackal/caracal damage to livestock, and loss of earnings/income, I have a feeling it's going to get messy.......... I'm going to have to side with the farmers on this one, I am off to call, and kill some jackal this weekend on a friends game ranch, sorry greenies!

Regards.

Whisper.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #176799 - 08/03/11 02:03 PM

African Indaba Vol 9 # 1: correction

Dear Readers of the African Indaba,
We have noticed a typograhical error in our current edition of African Indaba 'The Conservation Status of the Lion in Tanzania' regarding the actual approximate number of trophy hunted lion in Tanzania. The article mentioned 2,000 lions per annum when in fact the correct number is 200 (TWO HUNDRED). We apologize for this error. The African Indaba Website has been corrected in the meantime.
The complete and corrected article is below:
The Conservation Status of the Lion in Tanzania
Pascal Mésochina, Obed Mbangwa, Philippe Chardonnet, Rose Mosha, Beatrice Mtui, Nowlenn Drouet, William Crosmary and Bernard Kissui
This report was published in June 2010 by the International Foundation for the Management of Wildlife, Paris (IGF) and gives ample information and background about the status of Panthera leo in Tanzania.
From the Abstract:
The IUCN SSC organized two regional workshops, one for West and Central Africa (2005) and one for Eastern and Southern Africa (2006), to produce regional conservation strategies for the lion. Tanzanian authorities, together with local stakeholders took part in the regional exercise for establishing the Regional Conservation Strategy for the Lion in Eastern and Southern Africa and soon after organized the first national workshop to prepare a National Action Plan for lion and leopard. In 2009 the Tanzanian authorities expressed the will to update the lion profile in the country and to hold the second national workshop for finalizing a Lion National Action Plan.
The present survey has attempted to update the conservation status of the lion in Tanzania. The final report of this survey is expected to bring comprehensive material for the submission to the forthcoming National Action Plan Workshop. The methods used are explained and results are provided and discussed. A geo-referenced database has been set up to collect and analyze the information available (250 bibliographic references) as well as the information generated by specific inquiries (among 321 informants). Nine thematic maps have been drawn.
The lion range in Tanzania is still extensive with a surface of 750,000 km2, i. e. 92% of the terrestrial surface of the country, of which 335,000 km2 (i. e. 42%) are located inside Protected Areas (National Parks and Hunting Areas). An assessment of the lion population size has been attempted with a tentative figure of 16,800 individuals in Tanzania at this stage, a large majority of them living in Protected Areas (i. e. 80%).
Tanzania hosts the largest lion population in Africa and is the first country in terms of lion trophy hunting with around 200 free ranging lions legally harvested per year. This figure remains far smaller than the number of lions illegally killed for various reasons such as ritual killing, snaring for bushmeat, retaliation in reaction to human casualties and livestock losses, etc.
Because lions largely range outside protected areas, human lion conflicts are of great concern in this country, especially in central and southern Tanzania. Indeed, illegal killing of lions and habitat loss appear to most informants as the main threats to lion conservation.
We are extremely sorry for this error.

Gerhard Damm
Editor and Publisher

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: NitroX]
      #176800 - 08/03/11 02:08 PM

12 Southern Sudan

The Undersecretary in the Ministry of Wildlife Conservation and Tourism in Southern Sudan, Dr. Daniel Wani, threw the doors wide open for potential investors in the sector last week, following the successful independence referendum. In details availed from Juba, he was quoted to have said that his ministry was seeking an immediate investment volume of US$150 million from private sector investors in the aviation, hospitality, and safari sectors, while also encouraging private-public partnerships in the wildlife sector. The wildlife sector also presently has only one partially-functioning lodge on offer in Nimule National Park, while the other 5 national parks require investments to open them up to tourists. Initially this is thought to be rolled out through mobile or semi-permanent tented camps, the classic traditional "safari style." while undoubtedly the construction of more permanent lodges in key positions across those parks will also get underway. Already connected very well by air from Nairobi with daily flights for Juba – other neighboring countries like Uganda and Ethiopia now also operate daily scheduled flights from their own main international gateways to Juba. Southern is arguably Africa’s last frontier being opened up for exploration, and the migration of the white-eared kobs, second only to the Serengeti migration in terms of numbers, will be a huge magnet for visitors

Will be interesting when the Sudan opens up to safari hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: African Indaba - February 2011 [Re: NitroX]
      #176801 - 08/03/11 02:12 PM

10 The Conservation Status of the Lion in Tanzania

Pascal Mésochina, Obed Mbangwa, Philippe Chardonnet, Rose Mosha, Beatrice Mtui, Nowlenn Drouet, William Crosmary and Bernard Kissui

This report was published in June 2010 by the International Foundation for the Management of Wildlife, Paris (IGF) and gives ample information and background about the status of Panthera leo in Tanzania.

From the Abstract:

The IUCN SSC organized two regional workshops, one for West and Central Africa (2005) and one for Eastern and Southern Africa (2006), to produce regional conservation strategies for the lion. Tanzanian authorities, together with local stakeholders took part in the regional exercise for establishing the Regional Conservation Strategy for the Lion in Eastern and Southern Africa and soon after organized the first national workshop to prepare a National Action Plan for lion and leopard. In 2009 the Tanzanian authorities expressed the will to update the lion profile in the country and to hold the second national workshop for finalizing a Lion National Action Plan.

The present survey has attempted to update the conservation status of the lion in Tanzania. The final report of this survey is expected to bring comprehensive material for the submission to the forthcoming National Action Plan Workshop. The methods used are explained and results are provided and discussed. A geo-referenced database has been set up to collect and analyze the information available (250 bibliographic references) as well as the information generated by specific inquiries (among 321 informants). Nine thematic maps have been drawn.

The lion range in Tanzania is still extensive with a surface of 750,000 km2, i. e. 92% of the terrestrial surface of the country, of which 335,000 km2 (i. e. 42%) are located inside Protected Areas (National Parks and Hunting Areas). An assessment of the lion population size has been attempted with a tentative figure of 16,800 individuals in Tanzania at this stage, a large majority of them living in Protected Areas (i. e. 80%).

Tanzania hosts the largest lion population in Africa and is the first country in terms of lion trophy hunting with around 200 free ranging lions legally harvested per year. This figure remains far smaller than the number of lions illegally killed for various reasons such as ritual killing, snaring for bushmeat, retaliation in reaction to human casualties and livestock losses, etc.

Because lions largely range outside protected areas, human lion conflicts are of great concern in this country, especially in central and southern Tanzania. Indeed, illegal killing of lions and habitat loss appear to most informants as the main threats to lion conservation.

"An assessment of the lion population size has been attempted with a tentative figure of 16,800 individuals in Tanzania at this stage, a large majority of them living in Protected Areas (i. e. 80%).

Tanzania hosts the largest lion population in Africa and is the first country in terms of lion trophy hunting with around 200 free ranging lions legally harvested per year. "

Quite a decent population still.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2791

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com