Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Roux-action Drilling square springs source.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Roux-action Drilling square springs source.
      #172152 - 27/11/10 12:38 PM

I have a Roux-actioned (snap-lock, under-lever) Drilling made in 1911 in Zella-Mehlis and retailed by W. Müchler und Söhne, Neuenrade, Germany. It's 9,3x72R (D) with 2x 16/65 shot barrels. There are 3 firing pin springs held in a close cluster arrangement. Those present are of different sizes suggesting they're replacements and they're all rusted and broken. A variety of new replacements have been tried but they're all too generous in width and the adjoining coils catch on each other on discharge. The result is the energy is diffused, the primer barely marked and the cartridge is not fired.

It's the suspicion of the gunsmith working on this gun that the original springs were square in section and thus avoided this problem, having more energy and less width. Would anyone be able to either (1) confirm this and/or (2) suggest where replacements (or suitable material to fashion replacements), can be found ?

This action type was once quite common and still frequently offered for sale so this problem today cannot be unique, surely ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
Re: Roux-action Drilling square springs source. [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #172154 - 27/11/10 01:07 PM

Hi Kiwi Bloke,
This is a bit of a long shot but it might be worth giving Darren Symmonds a call at CMI springs in Penrose 09 526 5864. They make springs from the largest to smallest and he was very helpful with my project. He's pretty knowledgable about what can be made in terms of springs. Its worth a try. Good luck...

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Roux-action Drilling square springs source. [Re: sirrocco]
      #172208 - 28/11/10 09:34 AM

A so-called Rouxdrilling with coilsring-driven striker lockwork is very unusual in the first place! Can you please post photos of thesr locks? As I know the Zella-Mehlis makers, who catered to the lower-price market, I doubt they used square coil springs originally. An old German Drilling with problems igniting the rifle cartridge is a frequent occurence, often subject of questions to the GGCA. This applies more often to hammer drillings. On these a lower part or neck of the right hammer hits a transfer bar, which in turn drives the firing pin/striker at an acute angle into the primer cup. But in their days these Drillings were reliable shooters. Reason: the old German cartridges used Berdan primers of a large, 5.5mm diameter. The primer cups were made of soft copper. They were much more easily dented than today's large rifle primers. A firing pin blow that was marginally effective on German primers of the times around WW1 is plainly insufficient for modern large rifle primers. Here in Germany a often used remedy is using large pistol primers in 9.3x72R cases, which are more easily dented than lr ones. At the low pressures allowable in the 9.3x72R, much less than in a .44Mag, this is an option.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Roux-action Drilling square springs source. [Re: kuduae]
      #172577 - 03/12/10 07:42 PM

I have some photos here that show the spring cluster and how it relates to the action. Just a question of how to get them included. The instructions re photos is not loading. No two ways about it, these are coil springs.

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: Roux-action Drilling square springs source. [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #172668 - 06/12/10 12:01 AM

Kiwi-bloke:
Email them to me & I'll post them for you. Or if need be, I'll snap some pics of the components of the Treff that I have. Mine has one little quirk that once in a blue moon when the selector is moved from Schrot to Kugel it trips the right striker. I just haven't taken the time to stare at it a bit. But the stock has been pinned a couple of times for some unknown reason before it came into my possession??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: Roux-action Drilling square springs source. [Re: ellenbr]
      #172699 - 06/12/10 10:09 AM

Well, the mechanism wasn't what I was expecting as I would have thought the strikers would have been contained in a block.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3851

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com