Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Croc Terror in Caprivi

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Croc Terror in Caprivi
      #171783 - 21/11/10 02:55 AM

Croc Terror in Caprivi

Chrispin Inambao

9 November 2010

Kongola — A crocodile killed two-year-old Mashozi Dishala while her grandmother was bathing her on the banks of the Kwando River mid last week.

The afternoon attack also resulted in the grandmother losing flesh on her right hand after the beast initially mauled her and tried to drag her under the water but it left her and attacked her grandchild. The latest incident, like another involving a primary school child, occurred along the crocodile-infested Kwando River in Kongola Constituency where villagers often lose their cattle to the dreaded reptiles.

She is the second victim to die in a space of a few days along the Kwando in Kongola Constituency after Mushabati Muyenga, a 12-year-old sixth grader was killed while fishing with a group of other pupils.

Environment and tourism officials at Katima Mulilo and Mutuso Kenneth, the manager of Kwandu Conservancy, confirmed the two fatal croc attacks.

An SMS was sent to Mutuso shortly after the girl was caught and dragged under water.

He in turn notified environment and tourism officials.

Judith Makwanga, the 37-year-old grandmother of the two-year-old victim, is currently recuperating at Chotto village in the Singalamwe area where friends and relatives are mourning the death of Mashozi.

Her right upper arm is heavily bandaged. She says she suffers from flashbacks of the incident in the form of recurring nightmares whenever she sleeps.

She told New Era she had gone to the river to wash some dishes because her village, like many others dotted along the river, does not have running water.

"I had finished washing the dishes and started to bath Mashozi when the crocodile shot from nowhere and started to drag me towards the main channel," she said.

"I wrestled with the beast and it loosened its grip on my arm but it swam towards the child and attacked her. While it swam towards deeper water, I grabbed it by the tail but it was too strong and I had to let go because it was dragging both of us towards deeper water. And it was gone; it disappeared with the child and I started to scream," she narrated.

Efforts by members of the conservancy to ensnare the man-eater with monkey bait have been in vain but last Saturday, they caught a wrong crocodile.

They said after they killed the ensnared crocodile and cut it open, they found a half digested monkey and a horn in its stomach. This means the culprit remains at large.

Several mourners are still gathered at Chotto with the hope that the crocodile with the child's remains would be caught, because they want to help the bereaved family to put closure to the heart-rending tragedy.

Mutuso and Chali Patrick, the enterprise officer of Kwandu, agree that crocodile-proof fences are needed to protect the Kwandu community and their livestock but they are cost prohibitive.

They say crocodile numbers have increased drastically because even when hunting quotas are allocated, very few crocodiles are hunted successfully because the hunts take place during the day and crocodiles that are nocturnal are not active at that time.

They say this problem could be remedied partially if laws regulating crocodile culling are changed to night-time. Kwando River has an estimated crocodile population of 5000.

Established in 1999, it is endowed with elephant, hippo, kudu, lechwe, impala, bush pig, eland and duiker. About 5000 villagers derive a raft of benefits from the game-rich conservancy that is also endowed with a staggering array of bird species.

Currently, there is a compensation scheme where villagers are paid N$800 for cattle killed by wild animals, while the families of people killed by wild animals are paid N$5000 to cover funeral expenses.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201011090741.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi [Re: NitroX]
      #171784 - 21/11/10 02:57 AM

Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi

Absalom Shigwedha

18 November 2010

Three elephants were killed by poachers in Eastern Caprivi in the past few months while three impalas and one reebok were poached in the Mashi conservancy, a senior official in the Ministry of Environment and Tourism told The Namibian yesterday.

Colgar Sikopo, the deputy director of parks and wildlife management, said one suspect has been arrested in connection with the killing of the impalas and reebok.

He said no one has been arrested in connection with the killing of the three elephants.

Mashi conservancy is next to the Mudumu National Park in the Caprivi Region.

One elephant was killed at Lusese village last Saturday while the other two were killed in the Impalila-Kasika area, according to Sikopo.

"We are investigating these incident together with the Police and we have dispatched a team to the areas where these incidents occurred," he said.

"It appears there is some connection with the local people," he said, adding that the arrested suspect used a Government vehicle for poaching the impalas and reebok.

Elephants and impalas are both specially protected species in Namibia and their illegal killing carries a maximum prison sentence of six years or a fine of N$6 000.

Poaching of endangered species has been on the increase in Africa.

In August, the South African Wildlife Service reported that rhino poaching had escalated at an unprecedented rate and that more than 150 rhinos had been poached in South Africa this year - many of them in private game reserves.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201011180236.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi [Re: NitroX]
      #171806 - 21/11/10 08:58 AM

Sad stuff.

It's real here, too: "Sir, I'll be away next week for my uncle's funeral; he was killed by a crocodile."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi [Re: Ben]
      #171833 - 21/11/10 09:32 PM

Sad to hear that Ben.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi [Re: NitroX]
      #171836 - 21/11/10 09:41 PM

Hi Ben,

I am saddened to hear that, where about's did it happen and did they go after the croc ??

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Three Elephants Killed in Caprivi [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #171850 - 22/11/10 08:10 AM

Sorry, gents, that came-out wrong; it isn't current, but happened early last year on the Daly. I can't remember if they got the croc or not.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2201

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com