Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do the double shooters carry 2 spare shells in their fingers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Do the double shooters carry 2 spare shells in their fingers
      #171386 - 13/11/10 04:32 AM

I haven't been to Africa but love watching the tv shows (though the scenes are more often than not staged). Anyways, I've never seen any of the PH's or hunters who carry doubles carry carry 2 extra shells in the fingers of their forarm hand. They always shoot their 2 shells and then dig around in their beltloops.

As an old single barrel shotgun guy, I always have another shot or 2 in my hand ready to be popped in for a very quick followup shot.

I don't know if you guys do this or not (extraction issues / changing hands maybe)

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
Re: Do the double shooters carry 2 spare shells in their fingers [Re: PBR]
      #171404 - 13/11/10 09:16 AM

When I was a kid I learned to shoot my H&R single shot 28 gauge holding an extra shell between the fingers of my forend (left) hand. Now with my side by sides I don't bother.

When I am at the range with my Ruger No.1 in .450/400 NE I revert to the old practice, for two quick shots in sucession. Haven't hunted with the gun yet but would do the same in the field so as to have the option of a quick follow-up. I honestly feel that I can reload almost as fast and reliably as I could cycle a bolt action. But again, when I shoot my double rifle in .470 NE, I don't bother.

I believe they also now make cartridge/shell holders that you can wear on your forearm. That way with the big bores you can concentrate on gripping and hanging on...

I guess I feel if you can't get it done with two shots, then the game gets away. In the case of DG that fight back, it is probably helpful if the PH backing you up has at least two shots as well.

--------------------
Semper Paratus

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 336 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1762

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com