Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: African Safaris

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
mbogo
.224 member

Reged: 21/05/04
African Safaris
      #16635 - 13/07/04 08:24 AM

I want to book an African Safari in either Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, or Tanzania but I'm having difficulty convincing some of my fellow hunters and especially my father to come with me to Africa. I, personally, eat, sleep, and drink anything and everything Africa and consider myself pretty knowledgable considering I've never hunted there. From any of you who have hunted there; what was your reaction? Did you enjoy your hunt? If not, why? Is it the adventure that it's made out to be? If any of you have had a bad experience please tell me why. I want to know everything I can and want to have some first hand knowledge coming from you guys so I can convince my hunting partners to book our next trip there. Any and all info/stories would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ingwe
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: Texas
Re: African Safaris [Re: mbogo]
      #16641 - 13/07/04 10:19 AM

If it were me, Zim would be out, period, as long as the current regime is still in power, anyway. I think I would probably go with Namibia, because of the reputation it has for being so easy to get in and out of and so hassle free. You can be on the ground and hunting over there 24 hours after departing. But heed the warning that was posted on another thread in this forum, and fly to Namibia through Frankfurt - NOT South Africa. Although, Namibia is great for some species, you may be wanting to hunt some other species. What do you want do hunt? Do you have any particular species in mind, or did you just want to pick a good location and then take advantage of whatever that area had to offer? Both thought processes are totally legitimate, we just need to know more about what you want in order to help you better.

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #16648 - 13/07/04 12:10 PM

My first trip to Africa was for a Safari in Namibia. After the trip I was quite upset, but only because I waited so long before I decided to go. If I had only known how wonderful it was/is, I would have gone 15 years sooner. My non-hunting wife went with me, and loved it. I mean, what's not to like: you stay in wonderful acommodations, have wonderful South African wines, great Namibian beer, get waited on like you're royalty, have you laundry done for you every day (never had my underwear ironed before), experience great weather (near freezing in the morning,warming up to the 70's by late morning, with near 0% chance of rain), see so much flora and fauna that it boggels the mind, shoot 5-10 animals, and all for less than an Alaskan Brown Bear hunt. Just do it!

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
      #16669 - 14/07/04 12:54 AM

Mbogo,

I have only been on safari twice. The first was a 7 day buffalo and plains game hunt in Tanzania with Ridge Taylor. The second was a leopard and plains game hunt in Namibia. While I enjoyed Namibia and had a good hunt, Tanzania wins hands down. Namibia is just too tame, too civilized to give one the feel of Africa and safari. While I'm sure there are places in Namibia like the Kalahari,the Caprivi, or Vaughn Fulton's concession that have the wild feel, I didn't enjoy this hunt near as much as Tanzania. To each his own, but I won't hunt a fenced property again.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #16671 - 14/07/04 01:56 AM

mbogo

I travelled through Africa through a number of countries but unfortunately did not get to hunt. Could not wait to get back for a hunt. Then had a honeymoon including a safari in Zimbabwe in 1994. If my wife could go there, your friends and father can!

Enjoyed in immensely and was on a high for months because of it.

Hunted again in South Africa and Zimbabwe in 2002. Was ejected from a farm by warvets in Zim but the PH did his best and found me another hunt. Fulfilled his obligations even though I did not expect him too considering his situation. Sometimes these happenings also add to life experiences and they are certainly part of Africa if you are there long enough and often enough. Did not feel in danger though of course you never know until it happens.

I enjoyed the Zim hunts more than the SAf fenced hunts, though I will certainly hunt in SAf again.

Part of the experience is not just the hunting but also experiencing Africa. See some of the sights too if you can.

If you go and can drag some mates along I think you will wonder why it took you so long to go there and when can you go again.

NitroExpress.com is one way of me feeding my addction in between safaris and hopefully also easing others (or getting more poor souls hooked ).

Go with your mates, or by yourself if necessary.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

TerryR
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/04
Loc: Greensburg, Pa.
      #16689 - 14/07/04 05:01 AM

I've hunted in Botswana twice with Mark Kyriacou's Big Game and Bird Safaris, PH was Glen Munger. Each hunt was wonderful. Botswana is more expensive then Zim or Namibia but you will be in the unfenced bush and will have an experience more like the old time safaris. In terms of safety, I took my Sons on my second Safari and will take my Wife on my third, next year.
I personally would not go to Zim. I am sure that your PH would not put you in a danderous situation but with the Country unraveling your chances of having a problem are clearly greater.
I have no experience with Namibia but have only heard good reports from those who have hunted there.
I can only say GO! You will love it.
Terry

jhrod
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/04
      #16697 - 14/07/04 11:50 AM

Okay, I'll be the one to offer the contrarian view. I personally would not hesitate for second to consider Zim.

You will see in your internet research all sorts and every manner of negative press about Zimbabwe, and it cannot be denied; the government, political system and economy of the country is a mess. But I just got back from there a little over a month ago, and I can tell you that none of that seems to be affecting those with whom you would primarily deal with while there - i.e. the general Zimbabwean population. I have never met a more friendly people, a more service oriented people, or a more genuine people than I did in Zim. I felt safer there than in Cape Town.

We Americans are very quick to judge, and are far, far too quick to accept the perspective of the media in terms of assessing/evaluating risk, perceived or real. Yeah, there might be more relative risk in going to Zim as compared to Namibia, but there is far more risk than either of those when you drive to the airport.

As far as convincing others to go, I can only say that while I was also somewhat skeptical, I dream daily of getting back to Africa. If I had to pick the one thing that bugs me most about hunting here in the US, it is that the biggest challenge is not one of pitting ourselves against the animals, but pitting ourselves against the impact of our fellow hunters and other people enjoying the what little land is left to wildlife. In Africa, I never had another hunter or human that had any material effect on the conduct or outcome of a hunt. And secondly, that while we in the US do a pretty damn good job of teaching the techniques of customer service, we've got no clue whatsoever about the appropriate attitude needed for good customer service, for which the Africans will steal your heart.

Go man, and if you can't convince your hunting buddies, go anyway. And if that isn't possible, call me and I'll go with you.

Jeff

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: African Safaris [Re: Ingwe]
      #16718 - 14/07/04 08:43 PM

What is the problem with flying to Namibia Via Joburg? I was going to fly Via Joburg as I hadnt heard of any problems transiting this way. What things do we have to watch out for?

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: African Safaris [Re: cr500]
      #16733 - 15/07/04 02:52 AM

No problems what-so-ever.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: African Safaris [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #16735 - 15/07/04 03:44 AM

We have now regretfully stopped marketing Zim as a hunting destination due to the worsening political situation and I expect an increasing number of clients to have problems there. I'm not saying you can't get a good hunt in Zim, just that it is becoming riskier......and I don't believe in taking risks with client satisfaction.

I guess you really need to decide if you want to have a plains game hunt or a dangerous game hunt. If it's plains game, then you should look to RSA, Namibia or some parts of Botswana, particularly the Tuli Block.

If you want a dangerous game hunt then you should look to Tanzania where you will have the biggest game herds and (probably) the best hunting experience, but be especially careful to get full details of exactly which area you be hunting. For example a Selous buffer zone is slightly cheaper than the Selous proper, but has much less game than inside the reserve.

Botswana where you can expect higher prices, but more of a champagne & caviar experience, but be prepared to book a lot earlier as they have far smaller quota's than elsewhere and they sell out early.

Or Mozambique where you can expect a tougher, but less expensive hunting experience.....if you plan to take any non-hunters along, then Mozambique is probably not the best place to go.

You'll find details of all the above areas on my website or by e-mailing me for details if you're interested.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Ingwe
.275 member

Re: African Safaris [Re: shakari]
      #16743 - 15/07/04 05:25 AM

Here is the quote from the other thread in connection with flying to Namibia through RSA:

"Recently a rifle agreement in SADC countries were signed which will be in
place from May 1, 2004 onwards.
It imply the following for our clients coming via South Africa (Johannesburg) to Windhoek and it will be a problem for all SADC countries,
e.g. clients being in transit at Johannesburg going to Namibia, Zambia,Zimbabwe or Botswana.
The client will arrive at Johannesburg with his rifle and before he can depart, they require an import permission from Namibia or whatever country.
The Namibian police does not issue any permit without having seen the rifle,you can imagine what mess they will do in issuing permits with wrong
numbers, etc. Thus, the rifle will stay at the airport and the hunter may take it back to the US after the hunt is over, or he might change his hunt
to a South African place.
Different organizations are actively involved in solving the administrative
SADC legislation.
If they can not solve the problem, all land-locked countries (Botswana,Zimbabwe and Zambia) will loose a lot of hunters.
Air Namibia already organized with Air Singapore a flight via Frankfurt to
land in Namibia, and then there is no rifle problem anymore."

I do not know if this is still the case, so I would recommend checking it out thoroughly before trying to fly through RSA. If it were me, I would just go through Frankfurt and not worry about it. The hell with "The Wonderful New RSA" and their political games.

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
      #16746 - 15/07/04 06:16 AM

I have been reading a lot of posts with great interest regarding how bad it is in Zim mainly because I have a hunt booked for September. My good friend just returned a couple of weeks ago with his wife, they hunted leapord and plains game and had great success. I think this was their 4th or 5th trip to Zim. As far as danger they felt nothing had changed. White farmers loosing land yes, roaving bands of blacks with guns shooting hunters, no, problems going through Joberg airport, none. The talk about gun restrictions at the airport is on hold for now. Zim is a large country and I believe most of the bad stuff you see on the news is a lot of media hype to a certain degree. If you go through life always keeping totaly safe have you really lived, or what have you deprived yourself of? Thank God that our ancestor pioneers did'nt have CNN

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#16763 - 15/07/04 07:52 PM

As it stands now (subject to change of course), hunters who are in transit from RSA to Namibia do not have to obtain the temporary permit, unless they overnight in RSA, or leave the airport. If you have a connecting flight to Namibia, just make sure that your bags and rifles are checked through all the way to Namibia.

Ingwe
.275 member

#16768 - 15/07/04 11:33 PM

In reply to:

(subject to change of course),

Yes, that is the part that would keep me awake at night. With my luck they would most certainly change that the day of my departure. I would still just route my trip through Frankfurt and sleep better. I, personally, am done with RSA. Zim too. I like Namibia, TZ, and Burkina Faso deserves a good hard look, too. That's just the way I feel - I am sure a lot of people would disagree.

--------------------

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#16788 - 16/07/04 10:22 AM

I read on another forum, about a month ago, that there is talk of one of the airlines offering direct flights from the U.S. to Windhoek starting next year. We can only hope!

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #17244 - 27/07/04 05:34 AM

I also have pulled out of Zim for the time being until things change dramatically....or for those daring souls who insist on going there, and understand the dangers.

I love Tanzania, its gentle people, the land of the Masai, and the whole thing...Good folks without the anger you see elsewhere...and its safe...

Its the last of the real tented Safaris on large holdings of concession lands, true wilderness, the Safari of Ruark, Hemmingway, and the great PHs of yesterday...It smells of Africa, looks like Africa and is Africa, or at least the best we've got to offer in this day and time....

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: African Safaris [Re: atkinson6]
      #17626 - 06/08/04 04:05 AM

ray... i've never seen you say much about Namibia... maybe I just never read the right things, but I'm curious...

how wild is it??? why don't you hunt there, or do you?

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3182

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com