Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: Ben]
      #165877 - 07/08/10 08:00 PM

Seems to me a bit risky??? For what I have read, buffs are known to be mean and bad-tempered.

I should have a try one day!!!

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: larcher]
      #192011 - 17/10/11 02:23 PM

I've killed two, both by myself with my .470

The first one was on his way down after one shot, but I shot him again anyway, partially for insurance but mostly because for the cost of that rifle and all the ammo I had brought I wasn't about to quit after one shot.

As for the second one, I shot him eight times in less than five minutes. The first shot broke the shoulder, tumbled, took out the heart and lodged in the sternum. He was dead already at that point, but he didn't know it and neither did we. He was coming at us when I put the last one in the spine and knocked him down for good.

I don't know how I would have felt if the PH had shot, but I do know that I'm glad I did it alone.

Cazadero
.375 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: Cazadero]
      #221875 - 18/12/12 03:50 PM

OK, now I've shot three, and the misfire on my second shot (at my third buffalo, Zimbabwe 2012) meant that the PH was in my opinion totally justified in putting in a backup shot, and I was glad that he did.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Z...
      #221877 - 18/12/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

OK, now I've shot three, and the misfire on my second shot (at my third buffalo, Zimbabwe 2012) meant that the PH was in my opinion totally justified in putting in a backup shot, and I was glad that he did.

Good to hear it all turned out well for you taking a third buff. Any reason found for the second barrel misfire, must have been pretty disconcerting for you?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: eagle27]
      #221893 - 19/12/12 02:23 AM

I have shot 3 as well--all on my own..no backup shots...

In fact I have never had a PH do a backup on any game so far..and unless really needed, I would be VERY pissed if one did...the last I checked I was paying for MY hunting trip not theirs..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Cazadero
.375 member

#222143 - 22/12/12 03:42 AM

Any reason found for the second barrel misfire

I never did figure out why. The rifle shoots fine, but I never tried reloading the same shell, because truthfully I like having it in my collection of stuff to look at in between safaris.

I posted about it here and got lots of good feedback.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=215444&an=0&page=1#Post215444

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: xausa]
      #222152 - 22/12/12 05:05 AM

Quote:

Six Cape buffalo on my list, no shots by PH.

Five with my wildcat .505, one with my Krieghoff .458 Teck O/U double rifle.

First one at about 60 yards, one .505 through the shoulder, ran about fifty yards and piled up.

Next three were members of a herd we walked up on. Each got a .505 bullet in the middle of the chest from about 40 yards. One was on his feet when we followed up, one more shot broadside put him down. The other two were dead when we located them. One was facing us in a clump of underbrush and no way to confirm that he was dead by the usual means, so we put a couple of .458's in him for good measure.

Number five was facing me in the middle of an open field, about 100 yards away, with no means of getting closer. It took one shot into the middle of his chest from the sitting position with the scoped .458 to put him down. No second shot needed.

Nember five was a running broadside shot. I put four .505's into him as fast as I could operate the bolt, three were in a group I could cover with my hand, just at the point of the shoulder. He went down so suddenly that his nose ploughed up the ground. The PH was not even present.

Four shots with the .505, three buffalo, no back up shots.

My hunter put two shots into my first elephant, after it was already on the ground. When I remonstrated with him, he explained that we were right on the boundary of the Amboseli Wildlife Refuge and if the elephant had made it back to his feet and lumbered over the line, we could never have recovered it. Those were the first and only back up shots he fired.

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: Paul]
      #222157 - 22/12/12 07:35 AM

Quote:

My buff had one bullet in the lungs and sounded pretty sick from it as he waited in some brush, watching his backtrack.

I was ready to finish him off but the PH subscribed to the view that some charges may not be stopped, so opted take the task on himself and put three quick .458 solids through the chest from the side.

It's one thing for the client to want achievement and excitement, but I guess the PH owes a duty to his wife and family, too.

- Paul

I would definitely have been disappointed in your case in fact I would be pretty pissed off with the PH for doing what he did. Yes the PH has a duty to return safely to his family every day like we all have but it is DG hunting and there are risks to be taken otherwise just close up the industry and everyone stay home and shoot deer in the fields. Either the PH did not have faith in your ability or gun or he just likes to cut himself in real quick on the action. Sorry it turned out that way for you as there is nothing more satisfying than starting and finishing a job yourself.

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/12
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: bigmaxx]
      #222175 - 22/12/12 12:18 PM

The only shot I got at a bull in Zimbabwe a few years ago was a going away shot when they got wind of us. The bullet went just left of the anus and dropped the bull on the spot, coming to a stop at the back of the lungs.It had smashed the pelvis and destroyed the liver on the way through. I raced around and brained him with the second shot, fairly instinctive at the time.

My friendly PH insisted on putting a couple of holes in the bull himself and gave him two rounds broadside in the shoulder, about 8" apart as one deflected after going through a tree from about 15 yards! Definitely more testosterone than sense some days!

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: DaggaBoyBlog]
      #222187 - 22/12/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

The only shot I got at a bull in Zimbabwe a few years ago was a going away shot when they got wind of us. The bullet went just left of the anus and dropped the bull on the spot, coming to a stop at the back of the lungs.It had smashed the pelvis and destroyed the liver on the way through. I raced around and brained him with the second shot, fairly instinctive at the time.

My friendly PH insisted on putting a couple of holes in the bull himself and gave him two rounds broadside in the shoulder, about 8" apart as one deflected after going through a tree from about 15 yards! Definitely more testosterone than sense some days!

I've always found a liver shot, usually co-lateral damage, a good one for sickening an animal and usually dropping it quickly but here is another example of a PH shooting when not necessary, and obviously from your comments, when not wanted. If the client wants to expend some ammo and empty his magazine or double into his downed animal then fine he is paying for that privilege, as for the PH doing this, piss off.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: eagle27]
      #222210 - 23/12/12 04:10 AM

Post deleted by grandveneur

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... *DELETED* [Re: grandveneur]
      #222212 - 23/12/12 04:36 AM

Cazadero
.375 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: grandveneur]
      #222219 - 23/12/12 05:42 AM

Its interesting to note the apparently broad range of opinions on backup shots by the PH, both here and in talking to fellow hunters, and what I see is really more of a set of opinions that encompass the PH and his overall actions, with the subject of the acceptability regarding backup shots seeming to fall into a standard bell-curve of for and against, based on circumstances.

If a PH chose to shoot a bunch of holes in an animal for no apparent reason, I would take exception to this, but I still think it can be acceptable in some cases, as I believe it was in mine this past July.

However, what is absolutely unacceptable is the outfitter flat-out lying about animals and their status as wild, "concessions" that are really high fenced properties, sudden "opportunities" in the form of you-might-want-to-consider-shooting-this-[insert animal name]-because-I-can-offer-you-a-great-price-today, accommodations that are suddenly unavailable (bait and switch), excessive travel time to and from the hunting area (or worse, paying a full daily hunting rate to ride in a car all day long).

These to me are hanging offenses, which is why I probably won't hunt South Africa ever again.

A snap decision by the PH in a potentially dangerous situation, even one that I might not agree with after the fact, is a lot more forgivable, especially if you have a high regard for the man you are hunting with.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Cazadero]
      #222224 - 23/12/12 06:01 AM

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: grandveneur]
      #222257 - 23/12/12 06:17 PM

There is a reason why you hunt with a licensed PH when hunting dangerous game. If an experienced PH feels that a back up shot is necessary, that is his professional judgement. It is something to speak to them about before the hunt commences.

This is why you practise shooting these cannons before you go over. To reduce the possibility of such a requirement. In Cazadero's case, he did nothing wrong and the PH did what he felt was required to stave off a dangerous tracking job. Teamwork.

These animals are tough. If you are hunting with an experienced PH, he will probably be a conservative sort. Brinkmanship is not a trait that I want in a PH. Some of the YouTube fiascos and the Death by Double (et cetera) nonsense makes me angry that the Antis are fed this garbage and we have to defend our sport in this light.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: albertan]
      #222262 - 23/12/12 07:17 PM

I think it is important to look at some of the responsibilities of a ph.
You are responsible to help the client find an huntable trophy animal.
You must ensure that the client obey the legislation of the area where you are hunting.
You are responsible for the safety of your client your staff and your own safety.

I have never fired any shot at a clients animal up to now, if there are no dangerous game on the property we hunt on, I sometimes do not carry my rifle with me. If I do get a client that is a very bad shot and he wounds an animal and mess up on a second shot, I will definately take out the animal to take him out of his misery. I have seen (I was not the ph but was on the hunt with another client)a hunter fowling up a shot at 20 meters and totally miss on two further chances on the animal, then it is the ph's job to take out the animal. Luckily I have only seen it happen once.

When there are DG on a property I always have my rifle with me. When it comes to the safety of a client, staff or myself I will not hesitate to shoot. As said up to now I never had to take a shot, but if the circumstances require rapid response I will shoot.

The client is paying for the hunt and for his trophy animal, it is his privalage to fire the shots. Backup shots should be discussed in detail before you go into the bush. Clients have asked me to put a backup shot in an animal if it was wounded and he takes his second shot. Up to now it was not needed. There are circumstances where a ph have no choice than to take down an animal, but it must be the exception not the rule.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#222263 - 23/12/12 07:31 PM

Quote:

However, what is absolutely unacceptable is the outfitter flat-out lying about animals and their status as wild, "concessions" that are really high fenced properties, sudden "opportunities" in the form of you-might-want-to-consider-shooting-this-[insert animal name]-because-I-can-offer-you-a-great-price-today, accommodations that are suddenly unavailable (bait and switch), excessive travel time to and from the hunting area (or worse, paying a full daily hunting rate to ride in a car all day long).

These to me are hanging offenses, which is why I probably won't hunt South Africa ever again.

The high fences are not the real problem here. Everywhere fences are created, with wires, watering holes, by burning the veld to stimulate new growth etc.

The problem is more about "put and take" practises. It is a fact that most properties in RSA are stocked with animals, what is important is how it is being done. You stock your property in the summer months to ensure that the animals get a chance to learn the property, the animal must always have a better chance to escape from the hunter than what hunter has to take a shot at the animal. When animals are off loaded just before hunter arives, that animal does not have a chance and I have a major problem with it, the same goes for hunting in in the visinity of feeding throughs or in small camps. I do not want to see any wires inside the boundries of the property.

Unfortuneately there are unscupulous outfitters and ph's in RSA, luckily only a few, that create a bad name for the rest of us.

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Rule303
.450 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: SAHUNT]
      #222265 - 23/12/12 10:34 PM

There is some very informative information and opinions in this thread. I intend to hunt Africa next year and the information I am picking up is gold.

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/12
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #222299 - 24/12/12 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've always found a liver shot, usually co-lateral damage, a good one for sickening an animal and usually dropping it quickly but here is another example of a PH shooting when not necessary, and obviously from your comments, when not wanted. If the client wants to expend some ammo and empty his magazine or double into his downed animal then fine he is paying for that privilege, as for the PH doing this, piss off.

I used a RSA PH and we traveled to Zim and hunted with a local PH, I wouldn't do it that way again but I knew a guy and it was the easiest way to arrange things at the time. So the local PH had the local knowledge and my traveling PH played back up to the back up which meant he didn't get hugely involved in the running of the camp or any part of the safari. I guess this was his way of getting involved. Bit of extra blood in the photos but no harm done as the bull was dead!

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

Cazadero
.375 member

Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots... [Re: SAHUNT]
      #222394 - 27/12/12 02:31 PM

Unfortuneately there are unscupulous outfitters and ph's in RSA, luckily only a few, that create a bad name for the rest of us.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but if there are really only a few bad eggs, perhaps PHASA and the rest of the industry should work to establish standardized contract language that outlines full disclosure methods as a way of improving this reputation.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#222581 - 30/12/12 07:54 PM

Quote:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but if there are really only a few bad eggs, perhaps PHASA and the rest of the industry should work to establish standardized contract language that outlines full disclosure methods as a way of improving this reputation.

One of the unfortuneate problems is that Phasa is not a statutory body. Phasa was formed by outfitters and ph 35 years ago to regulate our industry by ourselves. Phasa was fighting for years to get recognised and to get everybody in the industry under their wings. We also have 9 provinces in the country, each with their own nature conservation legislation. It is very difficult to get them all to agree an certain matters.

Luckily some of the provinces changed their legislation so that you cannot register as a ph unless you is a member of Phasa. Phasa also changed their membership fees which will make it more afordable for a ph to become a member. Ph's will now pay a lower membership fee than outfitters, I think it is a very good move.

I was once hammered on another forum for suggesting that clients should only book with outfitters that are members of Phasa. I still think clients should only use Phasa outfitters, because they have more protection that way.

Clients should ask the right questions, any body that guarentees you a specific throphy size in my opinion is pullig a sock over your head. One can only guarentee that the animals are available and that a their is throphy animals, but to guarentee you that you will get it, is put and take in my eyes. Be careful and ask lots of questions, you will quickly be able to read between the lines and seperate the BS'ers from the genuine guys.

Just my opinion.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18062

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com